BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Hong Kong 1M'ers

This is just a quick shout to the HK 1M crowd.

I'll be using HK as a travel hub from May 17-29. Right now I am slated to hit Beijing May 20-23 and possibly Bangkok May 24-27. If any of you folks are aware of any track events or want to explain how this "RHD" thing works over some drinks, then throw me a PM!

I'll be staying with my mates up in Prince Edward (*groan*) but I know the city quite well as I have probably over 30 visits under my belt.

I was going to post this in the "Asia" section, but there isn't much activity there.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
This is just a quick shout to the HK 1M crowd.

I'll be using HK as a travel hub from May 17-29. Right now I am slated to hit Beijing May 20-23 and possibly Bangkok May 24-27. If any of you folks are aware of any track events or want to explain how this "RHD" thing works over some drinks, then throw me a PM!

I'll be staying with my mates up in Prince Edward (*groan*) but I know the city quite well as I have probably over 30 visits under my belt.

I was going to post this in the "Asia" section, but there isn't much activity there.
There's really no track events in hk. You can look into the sundy morning drive every sunday from 7-10. Probably one of the biggest meet in hk. They have a bunch of quality cars, such as zonda , enzo, bunch of gt3 rs, lambo.

As far as night life, you should hit up LKF , it's the clubbing area in hk with plenty of tourists and cute girls

If you want some local street food, you should hit up Mong Kok, and visit "woman street" , there's a lot of cool stuffs and foods over there for cheap.

Hong kong is awesome and make sure you have a pair of your most comfort sneakers on, because you will do a lot of walking

Best of luck, and have fun !

Eddie Chan @ **********s.com
************** ext 8011
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep

HK, Beijing, Bangkok 1M peeps!

Thanks for the info Eddie! I'm no stranger to LKF. I quite all the cool stuff on the Kowloon side as well. I'm also a huge fan of Ocean Park. I'll probably go there on one of my free weekdays if the weather cooperates.

Ok 1M people...I have finally gotten my marching orders. If any of our international brethren are around, I'd love to see what the car scene is like in your neck of the woods.

HKG 17-29 May (using as a hub)
PEK 20-23 May
BKK 24-26 May (may skip the city and go right to Hua Hin)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
swift_switch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M, 993TT

Hey Hey,

As spoken via email, i'm flying out tonight to the US. Sorry, but just bad timing. Let me know when you will be in town again! Shoot me an email if you need anything!

Safe travels!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
trekker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90LCI

Just a friendly reminder, be prepared for the weather delays, especially your flight to Beijing during this time of the year.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker View Post
Just a friendly reminder, be prepared for the weather delays, especially your flight to Beijing during this time of the year.
Yeah...we got delayed for 90 minutes due to congestion at Beijing. After sitting on the tarmac we got underway. Not a bad flight on HK Airiines. However, the pilot aborted the landing and we went around again. It took five bloody hours to get here.

I haven't seen any 1M's in either city. However, I saw a Mercedes AMG SLS I front of the hot-pot place last night.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
trekker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Yeah...we got delayed for 90 minutes due to congestion at Beijing. After sitting on the tarmac we got underway. Not a bad flight on HK Airiines. However, the pilot aborted the landing and we went around again. It took five bloody hours to get here.

I haven't seen any 1M's in either city. However, I saw a Mercedes AMG SLS I front of the hot-pot place last night.
Just a bit off topic, 90 mins for a Beijing flight during this time of the year is not too bad. My record was 4 hours so far, I heard some even up to 10 hours. Did you know much about HKA? I personally, would never ever travel with them knowing how the company is run and the history of their pilots. Was it windy for the first landing attemp?

Anyway, I went for a test drive on the 1M in HK a while ago, hearing the salesman saying they only sold around 60 of them so far. I guess chances of seeing them is not that great. The guy also said June productions will be the last. Is that ture?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep

Hey HK guys. Thought I'd bump this and see who will be around during the weekend of May 22-26. I'll be in HK for a few days and then on to Osaka on Sunday.

I'll be in Sai Kung with friends on Thursday and Friday morning. Then down to a proper hotel in TST for the weekend.

If any of you guys are around and want to swap stories over some drinks or dim sum, I am all game. I would really love seeing how your RHD guys roll.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #9
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep

Ok guys. I'll be in town this weekend in Central if anyone wants to show me their RHD version. I figure that I'll be able to find the matchbox toys with a little luck? HK has great toy stores!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 04:30 AM   #10
Roadsterdoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Porsche996TT 69Datsun2000

I'm traveling to HK the 3rd week if January for the first time. Looking forward to the food, night life and shopping. Any tips appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: AW BMW E82 1M

depends what you like!

shopping is good - tax free city - causeway bay, central, tst, mong koi (cheap stuff)
night life - lan kwai fong
food - depends if you want michellin 3 star or local grimy AMAZING food
cars - all over hong kong you will see all sorts of eye candy
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Roadsterdoc
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the tips!

Food- definitely want local grimy amazing food!
Shopping- A reputable watch seller (new & pre-owned). Carbon fiber car parts & maybe a bike frame if shipping to USA is convenient.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #13
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: AW BMW E82 1M

food - depending on where you live you can take a look at the cooked food markets above local food markets - they are normally inside the building and on the top floor - they have one in wan chai, sheung wan, happy valley, and north point on Hong Kong Island - kowloon

watch seller - rolex? ap? ken's watch is a famous one - google him - they have two stores - as for new ones u can check most of the watch shops - you can get retail with some discount - depends on which one you are looking for

car parts - i wouldnt suggest you buying them off the street - your best bet is to order them online or reach out to any of the local carbon fiber part dealers online then see if you can pick up from their offices

-mike.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterdoc View Post
I'm traveling to HK the 3rd week if January for the first time. Looking forward to the food, night life and shopping. Any tips appreciated.
Hey buddy,
Here's a very old (and lengthy) write up I did on HKG almost 10 years ago. A lot has changed since then but it's a good place to start for your first trip.

http://www.epinions.com/review/trvl-...nt_89947475588

HKG is great. You can pay as much or as little for stuff as you want. It is constantly changing but also stays the same, if that makes any sense.

There are two things that you absolutely must do to make your trip go easier.

1. Get an Octopus card right outside the arrivals area at the airport and charge it up with about $500HKD. This can be swiped for all mass transit (including the Airport Express, MTR, buses) and many convenience stores and fast food places. The base cost of the card is $50HKD and refundable when you leave. If you plan on doing any sort of exploring, you will find this indispensable.

2. Book a Sunday (or Saturday at some places) brunch at one of the leading hotels like Four Seasons, JW Marriott, W, Intercontinental, etc. They should run you about $80USD but the food is amazing and there is usually free-flow wine and champagne. I'm particular to the JW since the champers is Moet and they have foie gras, caviar, Iberico and parma ham, bluefin tuna and abalone sashimi...well, you get the idea...all endangered or highly politically incorrect to eat in the US.

Shoot me a PM and we can email directly if you want. I've been to HKG more times than I can remember at this point (3-5 visits a year since 2000!).

There are a few guys on this board that either live there, or travel there even more frequently and hopefully they can toss in some specific new hotspots for food or shopping.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
Roadsterdoc
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the great info and tips. DeePee, I'll read your HK primer tonight after work.

I def want to hit the watch shops. Looking for a Tudor Heritage Chrono or Black Bay.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #16
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep

Ok I'll be in HK next weekend. Any 1Ms out there?
Oh and then I'll be in Manila October 8th.
I haven't seen anybody from the Phils post here. I think Indonesia (Jay-K) was the only country represented in SE Asia.
Appreciate 0