E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > BMW Driver Training in Toronto

06-25-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
YVR335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Graphite

BMW Driver Training in Toronto

I just got back from BMW Driver Training in Toronto and it was a blast. Last Thursday I did the Advanced II session and on Saturday I did the Perfection course.

On Thursday we had 335i sedans - I chose the manual. We were partnered with another student and took turns doing different tasks, such as understeer recovery, oversteer recovery, obstacle avoidance, etc. The slalom at the end was too much fun. There were 18 of us altogether, 9 cars, four of which were standard and the other were auto's.

On Saturday we started with the 335i's again, and tried controlled oversteer (drifting - very difficult if you're not familiar with the car's throttle response [note to self - need to practice more drifting]), some breaking exercises, uneven shoulder exercises, and some other tasks.

The 335i's had a switch added in the glove box that disabled all the DSC, including the ABS. The '4-coupon ride' involved booting it down the course, hitting the unevenly surfaced, wet shoulder, and then locking the breaks. The car did a complete 360 because the left side was on 'regular' wet payment, and the right side was on the slick, wet shoulder.

For the last two events, we switched to M coupes, a completely different and totally awesome car. We did an unequally spaced slalom and then, the highlight of the whole day, a timed autocross. Having never done this before, I thought it was so much fun, it should be illegal.

The weather was perfect, the instructors were great, and the other attendees were all pretty nice. All in all, I highly recommend the courses. Now I really can't wait to pick up my coupe on Saturday.
Appreciate 0