BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
hrcormac
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M

German spec to US (1er M)

Anyone have any experience trying/succeeding with getting a German spec 1M back to the US?

- exit/customs fee from the Germans?
- entry/customs fee from us?

Situation: looking to get a German spec 1M (I live in Germany). Eventually I plan to bring it back to the States. I -->could<-- sell it back inside Germany, but I HIGHLY doubt I'll want to...

Thanks,

1addict newb (hrcormac)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

IF you are with the military go to the US customs office on base. They have a list of which cars can be brought back to the USA. Very rave low production cars have a high chance of entering the USA. The 1M is a prime canidate. IF not in the Military i would look at DOT website for guidance.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
hrcormac
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M

Rgr, good advice. I am a military guy. Now here's current dilemma:

Just got done test driving an Orange 1M with 13k miles on it. New tires, some body work needed (dealer will do the work as part of purchase). Stellar car. Price after NATO VAT form is $51k. Europe spec.

OR

I can go to BMW Int'l in Vaihingen and slap down $55k for a brand new fully loaded 2013 M3 using the military deal they offer. US spec plus free shipping back to US when I want.

So it's kind of a romance of limited production car versus a brand freakin' new M3.

My finances will be stretched to the brink either way, so it's really a straight up call between the cars.

Which one do I go with?

(currently drive 2011 135i M that I'll trade or get help with private sale as part of either deal; can switch the lights on the 1M with my 135i to make the 1M US spec)

Last edited by hrcormac; 05-19-2012 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: clarifications needed
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

bringing my us 1m to the EU around july, wanna swap lights?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrcormac View Post

Which one do I go with?

(currently drive 2011 135i M that I'll trade or get help with private sale as part of either deal; can switch the lights on the 1M with my 135i to make the 1M US spec)
This is a 1M board, so of course we're all biased. But the 1M has such awesome driving dynamics. Its just a lot of fun to drive. The M3 has what is arguably BMWs best motor, and the sound near 8K rpm is amazing. But it is a larger car which won't feel quite as lively under normal day-to-day driving conditions. The 1M on the other hand just feels alive - it makes even a trip to the grocery store a fun adventure.

I am constantly amazed how different my 1M feels compared to my tuned 335xi with KW V3 coil overs. The steering in the 3 is quite heavy and the throttle response is noticeably attenuated compared to the 1M (likely due to the lighter fly wheel and altered throttle map with M mode engaged). The steering feel in the 1M is perhaps a little too light for my taste, but otherwise I struggle to find a fault with the car.
Appreciate 0