BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

iPod adaptor question

I was told that an apple power cord can be used to connect a iPod in my 1M, but tried using my cord and it doesn't work. The BMW Y cable that came with the car works, but it's a pain to use. Anyone had success using an apple cord or other cord that is not the BMW Y cable?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
I was told that an apple power cord can be used to connect a iPod in my 1M, but tried using my cord and it doesn't work. The BMW Y cable that came with the car works, but it's a pain to use. Anyone had success using an apple cord or other cord that is not the BMW Y cable?
The apple cord works try a different one from a current device
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:

only if you have a combox (comes with Nav or assist) the regular apple connector cable will work, other wise only the y cable will work.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie
Quote:

only if you have a combox (comes with Nav or assist) the regular apple connector cable will work, other wise only the y cable will work.
Thanks. That explains it. I don't have NAV.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

I don't have NAV and I have been using Apple cable to connect my Iphone. Mine is even from iPod mini bought several years ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '94 D90, '95 D90 SW, '11 VO 1M

Quote:
Quote:

I don't have nav but I do have the usb/iPod option. I use a regular USB/iPod cable to connect to my iPod to the USB port under the arm rest and it works. I can see all the song title in the radio unit and I can advance/go back via the control on my steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'll try another cable and see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post
I don't have NAV and I have been using Apple cable to connect my Iphone. Mine is even from iPod mini bought several years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 671rover View Post
I don't have nav but I do have the usb/iPod option. I use a regular USB/iPod cable to connect to my iPod to the USB port under the arm rest and it works. I can see all the song title in the radio unit and I can advance/go back via the control on my steering wheel.
And you do not have BMW assist? If not I'd be interested to reset my understanding of the multimedia behavior. What are your multimedia options (or full option list). Perhaps a combox/option 6VC is also supplied with the Harman system (without assist) ...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #9
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don't have BMW assist. The only option on the car is iPod adaptor.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 671rover
Quote:
Quote:

What options do you have on your car?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny
Quote:
Originally Posted by 671rover
Quote:
Quote:

What options do you have on your car?
Options I have is Bluetooth, iPod/USB, and premium sound. And I think either the Bluetooth or iPod/USB includes the BMW assist.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #12
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 671rover View Post
And you do not have BMW assist? If not I'd be interested to reset my understanding of the multimedia behavior. What are your multimedia options (or full option list). Perhaps a combox/option 6VC is also supplied with the Harman system (without assist) ...
You might be right! I know either the Bluetooth or USB/iPod option I have comes with BMW assist. And I also do have the premium sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

No BMW Assist.
Appreciate 0