E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Cycle Carriers

06-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
jrah
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340d

Cycle Carriers

I know there are a few cyclists on here so:

I need a cycle carrier to carry up to 3 mountain bikes, will be going on my 335d Coupe.

Can anyone recommend one that they have or have used in the past?

TIA

Nigel
      06-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A big gold navara

Get yourself over to roofbox.co.uk

The three atera giro carriers, pakage deal, with either the atera aluminium bars or the thule aluminium bars. I went for the thule, because (from memory) you can change the "feet" if you change cars. The atera bars (i think) are car specific.
      06-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Springer
Rep
Drives: 318d Sport Plus Manual

Saris Bones!

Adjustable to fit any car. I had one for my grand Cherokee and it will go straight on to the back of the E91 with only slight adjustment.

Tried it on my friends and it fits fine and secure but you can't open the tailgate with it on due to clearance on the top of the tailgate and body as the clips interfere slightly. But when closed this isn't an issue, and you couldn't lift it anyway with a bike on unless you fancy being decapitated.

Good bit of kit and they come up on Ebay regularly!

Springer
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I have a Saris Bones ... and won't be using it on my E92 after it left pressure dents in my Golf GTi ! The unit itself is superbly made but needs careful placement on the car or you will get dents - down to me I guess but it was too fiddly to get just right ... as are all of this type. The Saris Bones it, to be fair, the best of them though.

I bought Thule roof bars for my E92 330d and Thule bike carriers - they are superb and very, very solid. Once you are used to putting them on and off they are easy and quick to use. The bikes don't move an inch.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
jrah
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340d

Thanks guys, will look at both types, concerned about paint damage though as my last car had damage from what I assume was a cycle carrier
      06-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Wingco
Private
Rep
Drives: VW CC GT (2013MY)

Have sworn by roof [bar] mounted cycle carriers for my last 4 company cars, and have managed to be lucky each time, buying a used set of genuine or thule / atera roof bars on ebay just after changing company car, and selling on the previous set also on ebay.
I bought myself a Thule cycle carrier and then another a couple of years later. As others have mentioned, once they're on, the bikes don't budge.
However, my missus has recently bought herself a bike and wants to use my car to take her bike & a friends to go biking - that's where the problem arises - at 5'4", she hasn't got the height OR strength to get the bikes onto the roof!
Just bought a saris bones 2 (REALLY fancied the Bones RS, but the fact is in my mind this new carrier is the SECONDARY one to my roof carriers....) mainly for my wife to use.
the guy who has a business locally selling bars & racks basically said: primary choice - tow-bar mounted bike carrier, then roof, then rear cycle carrier, and the Saris Bones best available (until Thule enter the UK with theirs, within the next 18-24 months)....