E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Alarm System in E92 / E93 - 335i

07-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
Alarm System in E92 / E93 - 335i

Ok - enough already !! Does anyone out there in BMW cyberspace have an E92 or E93 - 335i with a BMW alarm system installed ??? They have been trying to get mine installed for almost 3 whole days now and so far only partial operation has been achieved.

The original install was done with V25.02 software and when I got the car back after the install the CA door lock / unlock feature would not work and part of the alarm system was also not fuinctional. They did not tell me that is was not working so I didn't find out all this untill I got home. The CA features all worked when I dropped the car off. :mad:

Next day back to the dealership and waited 4 hours while they futzed with the programming and still could not make the alarm work but were able to get the CA lock functions to work. :mad::mad:

Now I am back a third day and they have tried to load V26.. something and after about 4 hours it still does not work completely. :mad::mad::mad:

So... I am interested in hearing anyone else's woes with trying to get the alarm installed in one of these vehicles. Weather here has been gorgeous and they have my car and I have a 2004 - 328 sedan loaner...... I CAN'T POUT THE TOP DOWN !!!!

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

Mine was installed at the Performance Center on a March 4th build 335 E92. I wasn't there for the install but it's worked perfectly since delivery.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
jmonier,

How do you know it is actually working ???

You can test the hood sensor by operating the alarm with the hood up and then forcing it to trip the alarm - mine works here....

You can jack up a wheel and see if the tilt sensor works and trips the alarm before a wheeel gets off the ground - mine works here too.

How do you test the doors to see if they trip the alarm ??

How do you test the motion sensors in the car to see if they work ?? When my alarm is set with the top down it is supposed to activate the motion sensors below the seat level. The manual says a "leaf" falling into the car will trip it but I can't make anything trip it. I can jump in and out of the car; pull the door handles; push all the buttons etc and nothing I do makes the alarm go off and there is no failure indication when the alarm gets set. By the way - the fob is far away when I test this and I wait about 2 minutes after the alarm is set to give it all time to arm.

The chief mechanic at the dealership does not think the motion sensor system is working but he knows even less than I do about it !! What is the chance that the motion sensors were not installed at the factory ???

So far I have had the car in for "4 DAYS" trying to get this alarm installed correctly and working without screwing up anything else !!

Thge joy of a new model BMW with no one trained !!

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

I haven't tested that it actually alarms when the car is tampered with. It does beep as advertised when the car is locked or unlocked and the clown nose blinks whne the car is locked. I have no problems with the Comfort Access functions. Perhaps your problems are unique to the Convertible. I'm sure that any dealer would have experience installing the alarm on other models.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
jmonier,

Can you try to test your motion sensors to see if they trip the alarm ??? Make sure you do not have the key fob with you.

Mnne tweets and blinks correctly and does not indicate any faults but the motion sensors do not work -- top up or down.

Would be interested to see if we are all ASSUMING that the alarm functions work vs being able to test it and really know that they all work.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
jmonier,

Can you try to test your motion sensors to see if they trip the alarm ??? Make sure you do not have the key fob with you.

Mnne tweets and blinks correctly and does not indicate any faults but the motion sensors do not work -- top up or down.

Would be interested to see if we are all ASSUMING that the alarm functions work vs being able to test it and really know that they all work.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post

How do you test the motion sensors in the car to see if they work ?? When my alarm is set with the top down it is supposed to activate the motion sensors below the seat level. The manual says a "leaf" falling into the car will trip it but I can't make anything trip it. I can jump in and out of the car; pull the door handles; push all the buttons etc and nothing I do makes the alarm go off and there is no failure indication when the alarm gets set. By the way - the fob is far away when I test this and I wait about 2 minutes after the alarm is set to give it all time to arm.

If you have a dog or cat, put it inside the car and "arm" the alarm. It worked for the '03 X5...
      07-02-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
X E I O
No more Japanese cars.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black 2008 550i

BMW of Manhattan

They did it in an hour for me on my previous coupe.
      07-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Locked myself in and could not make the motion sensors trip !!

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 12:09 AM   #10
MFG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

A for "Alarm" in the electronics/alarm/software forum produced the following thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63070

Refer to Sterns' comments.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #11
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
MFG,

Thx for the thread. It pretty much describes exactly what I expect and what the manual states. Unfortunately, in my case (E93 - 335i with version 25.02 or 26.1), the motion sensors are NOT working. No matter what I do I cannot force the motion sensors to trip the alarm.

BTW - with the top up and windows closed the alarm motion sensors are supposed to work the same as the E92 - mine do not work that way either.

Since the system does not flash the clown nose rapidly when setting the alarm, indicating that a part of the system is not working correctly, I can only surmize that the miotion sensors are not installed or are not correctly wired.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #12
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

Mine took a little over 4 hours to install. They demo'd the motion sensor by closing the driver door with the window up on a big feather, then armed the alarm, and wiggled the feather back and forth. It immediately took off howling. Then to demo the tilt function, they rearmed it and used a floor jack to lift up the end of the car. After it got up about 3 inches or so, she took off howling again.
I just sat back and
However, I'm afraid what will happen with a Progman update??
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 08:02 AM   #13
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thx for the info. I will try the feather trick. Should work top up or down !!

Appreciate 0