E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 build

06-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
Vitamin-J
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

E90 build

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and basically looking for some information.

I have an N54 E90 that was recently in a little fender bender, while the car is out of commission I'm going to go ahead and put some extras on it but I'd like a little input.

My goal is power but I don't want a ton of noise.

On the list of things getting done

1. Injen dual cone intake
2. Cobb access port
3 HorsePowerFreaks intercooler

from here I need a little input.

I was at HPF today and took a look at the cat back system they've developed for the E90 and it sounds amazing, what I don't know is where am I gonna get the best gains as well as good sound.

I've come to the conclusion that for noise sake I really cant do both exhaust and downpipes, from my understanding that makes the car very very loud.

So, from experience are the best power gains in the downpipes, or the exhaust? As a side note the HPF exhaust system does reduce the weight of the car by 45lbs so even if the downpipes give me a larger gain how much are we talking and is it worth is over the weight loss as well?

I'm also playing with the idea of meth injection, but honestly, I know very very little about it so any first hand input on meth would be great as well.

Also if there is anything major I'm missing or if there is arguably better product out there feel free to let me know.

Thanks

-VJ
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Well I would get a DCI over the injen intake, the gains are similar if not better with the DCI, plus its cheaper and easier to remove. As far as the exhaust mods, on the N54 you don't gain much at all with an exhaust system, the gains are with a downpipe. So if I were you I would get a downpipe (VRSF), DCI, COBB, and then the HPF IC. You will be full bolt on, the exhaust will be slightly louder but better sounding, and your car will fly. Also throw some e85 gas in every once and awhile
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Vitamin-J
Registered
Rep

whats the gain difference between doing downpipes vs the catback?

I think I'm settled on the injen intake unless there is a solid reason I should go with the buger dci, I've had good luck with injen in the passed, I like the way they look better, I don't like that the DCI airfilters rest against the motor, the BMS DCI looks like you pulled off the airbox and hose clamped filters on th exsisting pipes....which I think is what you do lol
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

25-30HP for DPs, possibly more with the supporting mods you are planning on having. Catback...10-15HP max.

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Vitamin-J
Registered
Rep

whats the noise difference between the downpipes and the exhaust?

I'm totally about the power gains but I really don't want the car to be too loud.

which is noisier, down pipes or cat back?

remember the exhaust is also saving me 40lbs so although I'm not getting as much power, weight is just as good as HP.
Appreciate 0