E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anyone know how to change the cluster? (maybe a diy?)

06-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
KiX1911
Blah
Canada
Rep
Drives: Awesomeness

Anyone know how to change the cluster? (maybe a diy?)

As many of you know I'm trying to figure out how to get the nice chime in my vehicle... ( http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639329 ) so im going to try to change the cluster and see if this changes it.

I tried to search the crap out of the site but couldnt find any info

thanks

Brad
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

How did you come to the conclusion that changing out the cluster will, in turn, change the chime? I thought the chimes were hard coded into the system OBC? It would be interesting if we can have custom chimes like ringtones.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
jbimmer3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

its easy. Undo the 2 screws and pull it out. It will be tight but it will come out without removing the steering wheel

Car pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
The instrument cluster is very simple to remove/install (one short paragraph in the Bentley manual, pretty self explanatory). However they need to be programmed after install. Took the dealer about 8 hours to program mine when I had it replaced. So I don't think this is exactly a DIY/plug and play type thing, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
rrpeinha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1993 BMW 850i  [0.00]
Before You Change the Cluster... just wanted to let you know it's actually really, really simple to recode you're current one for the chime that you're wanting if you have a coding cable. My car has iDrive so it has the chime you're wanting, but my brother's car didn't. We looked through the trace file for the instrument cluster and found what has to be changed.If you have a coding cable and know how to use NCSExpert, let me know. I'll give you step-by-step instructions on how and what value you have to change. There is only one, single value that had to be changed in order to get the new chime. Much easier (and cheaper) than replacing the cluster.
      06-07-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpeinha View Post
Before You Change the Cluster... just wanted to let you know it's actually really, really simple to recode you're current one for the chime that you're wanting if you have a coding cable. My car has iDrive so it has the chime you're wanting, but my brother's car didn't. We looked through the trace file for the instrument cluster and found what has to be changed.If you have a coding cable and know how to use NCSExpert, let me know. I'll give you step-by-step instructions on how and what value you have to change. There is only one, single value that had to be changed in order to get the new chime. Much easier (and cheaper) than replacing the cluster.
Mind posting it just for future reference for others?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
rrpeinha
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1993 BMW 850i  [0.00]
Sorry, I should have posted it to begin with.

To anyone doing this, I’m assuming an understanding of the basics of using NCS the FSW_PSW.TRC & .MAN files, so if you don’t know how to read and manipulate those, there are plenty of other sources on learning that stuff first. But for the actual coding of the different gong, the instructions are below.
  1. Use NCSExpert to read the KOMBI module.
  2. Open the FSW_PSW.TRC file with Notepad
  3. Find the line HU_VERBAUT (there may be a number after verbaut, but it is the only line in the .TRC file with HU_VERBAUT, so just search the file for that) – this tells the cluster what Head Unit is installed
  4. The value should be radiostufe_2 (or could be radiostufe_1 outside of the US) – radiostufe_2 is for BMW Professional Radio & I believe radiostufe_1 would be for BMW Business Radio in other countries
  5. Change the value to radiostufe_3_4
  6. Save the file as the FSW_PSW.MAN file (make sure it saves as a .MAN file, don’t let notepad add the .txt extension to the file when you save it)
  7. Use NCS to code the KOMBI module with the new .MAN file
  8. Close NCS, remove cable, remove key, lock the car, and give it a couple seconds
  9. Unlock and you should now have the new gong tone

This was done on my brother’s 2007 328i with the standard HiFi Professional Radio, but I would think it would work on any
      06-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
KiX1911
Blah
Canada
Rep
Drives: Awesomeness

Quote:

This was done on my brother’s 2007 328i with the standard HiFi Professional Radio, but I would think it would work on any
whaaaaaaat wooow I would love you forever if this actually worked!!! I'm gonna try it this weekend, I have a 2007 without the chime...so does anyone know what year they started using the new chime? and what years can be changed?

I'm just confused why BMW would not put the chime for all their vehicles...and I always thought the new chime was like a wav file that was loaded on the new clusters

Someone try this and tell me

Brad
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Cypress
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 335i

Are there any chimes that sound like a hot chick moaning?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
rrpeinha
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1993 BMW 850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
Are there any chimes that sound like a hot chick moaning?
Pretty sure this is gonna be one of the things included in the next software update
      03-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
kenbrinkman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235xi

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry, I should have posted it to begin with.

To anyone doing this, I’m assuming an understanding of the basics of using NCS the FSW_PSW.TRC & .MAN files, so if you don’t know how to read and manipulate those, there are plenty of other sources on learning that stuff first. But for the actual coding of the different gong, the instructions are below.
  1. Use NCSExpert to read the KOMBI module.
  2. Open the FSW_PSW.TRC file with Notepad
  3. Find the line HU_VERBAUT (there may be a number after verbaut, but it is the only line in the .TRC file with HU_VERBAUT, so just search the file for that) – this tells the cluster what Head Unit is installed
  4. The value should be radiostufe_2 (or could be radiostufe_1 outside of the US) – radiostufe_2 is for BMW Professional Radio & I believe radiostufe_1 would be for BMW Business Radio in other countries
  5. Change the value to radiostufe_3_4
  6. Save the file as the FSW_PSW.MAN file (make sure it saves as a .MAN file, don’t let notepad add the .txt extension to the file when you save it)
  7. Use NCS to code the KOMBI module with the new .MAN file
  8. Close NCS, remove cable, remove key, lock the car, and give it a couple seconds
  9. Unlock and you should now have the new gong tone

I just tried this on my 2007 328xi coupe and it didn't enable the nice chime, rather it disabled the gong altogether. This video proves that this method will work, but only on head units made 09/2007 or after, for whatever reason. Mine was manufactured in 07/2007 so I'm outta luck unfortunately. If I wanted the new chime THAT badly I could swap out a newer/used HU but I'd really need to evaluate if it's that important to me.
Appreciate 0