E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My 335xi and the joys of going slower

06-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

My 335xi and the joys of going slower

I was just thinking about something the other day, Most of us here are enthusiasts and bought our cars for their performance. It's funny though--ever since I got my 335xi, I find myself driving more sedately but enjoying the drive more.

My previous car was a 2008 WRX and I used to drive it it ib a far more soirited manner, Now I have a faster car but I drive it more slowly most of the time. Part of this is because I'm paranoid about getting hit or damaging my ride, I suppose it's also that the N54 has so much damn torque that you're breaking the speed limit very quickly if you keep your foot in it. Hell, I usually just shift from 1-3-6 if I'm just cruising.

What I find is that I don't need to go as fast to enjoy this car. Small things like the way that the sport seats grip me, the steering feedback through a turn, how nice the clutch is (especially with a clutch stop) and the precision of my shifter slotting its way into each gear are just as satisfying to me as ripping around taking corners at insane speeds. Plus, as an added bonus, I haven't gotten a ticket in this thing yet!

Anybody else here just enjoy these little details about their ride, regardless of how fast you're driving? Honestly, I love my car but I don't understand why people look down on the 328s. If anything, sometimes I think that I would enjoy one more since you can actually wring it out a bit more without breaking the speed limit....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Is it because you do not like seeing your needle move once you hit the gas peddle? lol

I have an Xi as well and I am using my N54 to its full potential. I bought the car to enjoy it.

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
abcommercial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

I often wonder about Corvettes, Porsches and the like that I routinely pass on the freeway because the drivers are going slow relative to other traffic. I wonder if they bought the car for looks or to drive it. Or maybe they are afraid of attracting tickets and choose to go faster on other occasions where coast is clear.

Maybe your new car has enough power that you don't feel the need to stomp on the pedal like you would in an econobox. But you might actually be accelerating at a greater rate than other cars, just not stomping on it. It's easy to grow accustomed to the ability to easily pass other drivers like to maneuver around them, but then when you drive a rental or something underpowered you appreciate it more.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mandy View Post
Is it because you do not like seeing your needle move once you hit the gas peddle? lol

I have an Xi as well and I am using my N54 to its full potential. I bought the car to enjoy it.
Oh don't get me wrong--I enjoy the hell outta my car and like to wring it out when it's safe to do so. I'm just saying that for the amount of performance that this car has, it's just as much fun to drive slowly as it is fast. Maybe it's knowing that i have all that power under the hood just doesn't make me feel as compelled to use it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
jeffro535
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2019 X3M40

Kind of the beauty of this car. Goes like crazy when you want it to, chugs along without complaint when you don't. Normally, my car sees triple digits (albeit briefly) and the redline every day. So I'm pretty spirited. But i drove up into the mountains last weekend with some friends and it was my car and an Acura suv, complete with wife and two kids. Not the time to get crazy. But it was still an enjoyable drive. Well, my buddy did call back once and requested a fly-by while on some lightly trafficked interstate. I, of course, obliged. 😊
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
krazyking
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 BMW 335Xi

When you're driving it you can feel the strong build and craftsmanship of the vehicle and appreciate the way it drives and handles along with the gadgets that come with it. It can be a smooth cruising vehicle when you need it to, and then a menacing beast with just a push to the pedal - which I prefer for 90% of my driving
      06-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
trufus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

I totally get the driving slow thing. One of the best parts about fast cars is knowing the power is available, even if you're not using all of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Oh, and the feel of the turn signals. I like how damped the action is Little things, ya know.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
pbr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 i sedan, MT, Msport,

I had the same result, my previous two cars were Mazdaspeed 3
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
mo2566
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 VW GTI

I feel the some way at times... It seems that the more power I have available in my car, the less I feel the "NEED" to drive spirited. I don't have the sensation to make the car something its not. (Like trying to make a cavalier z24 into a race car)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
RX7guy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i, 93 rx7

Welcome to torque!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trufus View Post
I totally get the driving slow thing. One of the best parts about fast cars is knowing the power is available, even if you're not using all of it.
couldn't say it better myself.

Some ppl have nothing to prove... Some ppl just like to drive their car hard and as fast as they can everyday, thats they way some ppl are.

For me there are days that I like to drive "spiritedly" and some days I just like to cruise around. Then you I see some Civics, just fly by and I just smile. For sure some would be like WTF "you just didn't pass me" lol.

If I get a Lambo one day I would most likely drive the car slow/normal cruising too... Esp you know that you car can kill 90% of the cars on the road. Not saying that I will never unleashed the beast but sometimes its nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
Lankster
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

I like cruising as much as you do. But I like being in front even more, which leads me to spirited driving till i get in the front of the pack and then i relax haha
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #14
Licit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcommercial View Post
I often wonder about Corvettes, Porsches and the like that I routinely pass on the freeway because the drivers are going slow relative to other traffic. I wonder if they bought the car for looks or to drive it. Or maybe they are afraid of attracting tickets and choose to go faster on other occasions where coast is clear.

Maybe your new car has enough power that you don't feel the need to stomp on the pedal like you would in an econobox. But you might actually be accelerating at a greater rate than other cars, just not stomping on it. It's easy to grow accustomed to the ability to easily pass other drivers like to maneuver around them, but then when you drive a rental or something underpowered you appreciate it more.
With my Corvette I do exactly as you say, wait until I have a clear road to give it some real go. Too easy to mess up and do damage to others. The 335 has a great benefit in being able to be driven closer to it's limits on the street and is better to just cruise along in.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
When you're driving it you can feel the strong build and craftsmanship of the vehicle and appreciate the way it drives and handles along with the gadgets that come with it. It can be a smooth cruising vehicle when you need it to, and then a menacing beast with just a push to the pedal - which I prefer for 90% of my driving
agreed
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #16
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankster View Post
I like cruising as much as you do. But I like being in front even more, which leads me to spirited driving till i get in the front of the pack and then i relax haha
Haha. I'm the same way at times. I obviously don't weave and cut people off, but it is annoying being behind slow drivers when in moving traffic. Nice to set the pace.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

I always hope for some maniac minivan psycho to fly in front of me and set the pace while I keep a brisk pace behind THEM
The trouble with being the lead car is a state trooper finds you a lot quicker...learned that lesson a long time ago
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #18
douwe22
dual Afe intake/ cobb/ forge dv's/ 94 oct.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335xi, 2008 x5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
I always hope for some maniac minivan psycho to fly in front of me and set the pace while I keep a brisk pace behind THEM
The trouble with being the lead car is a state trooper finds you a lot quicker...learned that lesson a long time ago
+1, same here, follow the leader , when i see a prius or prety much any toyota hybrid i seem to speed up around them, just making sure that i compensate for all the emissions their saving...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

I too drive slower than my previous car. We all have invested so much into the car that it would be heartbreaking to crash because or excessive speeds or reckless driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGT81 View Post
I was just thinking about something the other day, Most of us here are enthusiasts and bought our cars for their performance. It's funny though--ever since I got my 335xi, I find myself driving more sedately but enjoying the drive more.

My previous car was a 2008 WRX and I used to drive it it ib a far more soirited manner, Now I have a faster car but I drive it more slowly most of the time. Part of this is because I'm paranoid about getting hit or damaging my ride, I suppose it's also that the N54 has so much damn torque that you're breaking the speed limit very quickly if you keep your foot in it. Hell, I usually just shift from 1-3-6 if I'm just cruising.

What I find is that I don't need to go as fast to enjoy this car. Small things like the way that the sport seats grip me, the steering feedback through a turn, how nice the clutch is (especially with a clutch stop) and the precision of my shifter slotting its way into each gear are just as satisfying to me as ripping around taking corners at insane speeds. Plus, as an added bonus, I haven't gotten a ticket in this thing yet!

Anybody else here just enjoy these little details about their ride, regardless of how fast you're driving? Honestly, I love my car but I don't understand why people look down on the 328s. If anything, sometimes I think that I would enjoy one more since you can actually wring it out a bit more without breaking the speed limit....
I also noticed this after i cobbed my car. I drive slower now and don't carry on like i used to pre tune. But here and there i open her up a bit My DS is now getting rusty, i rarley use it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #21
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

It's like restrained power; drive softly and carry a big...can of whoopass.
      06-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

I go way faster in my BMW than in my previous cars because it handles so well.

Yesterday I had off, and was on the way to the pool. Was going 95mph on the highway and noticed there was a baby blue crown vic behind me. Thought it was an old man until I saw the lights on his rear window shelf... Luckily I didn't get a ticket. I am guessing he was just a detective..

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0