E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need some quick help before going with my brother to look at an e90.

06-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Higgs1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Question Need some quick help before going with my brother to look at an e90.

My brother is a Marine and just got back from Afghanistan last week. He's home until next week and wanted to buy a car while he was home, so he doesn't have to fly back and forth every time he has leave.

Long story short, he found this 2006 325i in Connecticut (we're in MA) and we plan on going to go look at it tomorrow.

Can someone tell me what I should look for as far as the clutch is concerned? I have an 06' 330i so I'm pretty familiar with the rest of the setup, but I can't drive stick so I'm an automatic (hold the hate please).

The car is listed here for $15,900 and only has 69k miles on it, has every option from premium, cold weather, sport, and comfort access and navigation. He loves it and I would really love to help him get it, but need some advice on anything else to look for.

I know the engines in the 06 325's are almost bulletproof as my 330 has close to 90k miles and have very few issues, hoping this car will be good for his long journeys back and forth from base in North Carolina to Mass.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
ti8589
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

I never buy the cheapest of anything, just saying.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Higgs1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti8589 View Post
I'm not saying he wanted the cheapest. He was looking for a manual + combo of the options he wanted. This has all of those and at a good price with lower miles. That is all.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
Pistonslap
Australia
Rep
Drives: e91

Hi there,

as for the clutch condition, a quick road test should show any signs of excessive wear. Look out for the clutch slipping (engine free reving in gear), hard to select gear, abnormal noises and very hard pedal.
I personally find pressing the clutch pedal half way is sufficient in a BMW manual as it is self adjusting. This is just a guide.

This engine is also known for having some high oil consumption issues, caused by piston and rings not sealing correctly.
Not the end of the world, but can be pricey to repair.
Have a look at the exhaust tail pipe on start up for Blue smoke and extremely black exhaust tips, also oil residue on rear of car, extreme case.

Otherwise a great car as you would know owning a 330.

Hope this helps, good luck with your car hunting.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
BoricuaE92
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:

Just saying...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
BoricuaE92
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonslap View Post
Hi there,

as for the clutch condition, a quick road test should show any signs of excessive wear. Look out for the clutch slipping (engine free reving in gear), hard to select gear, abnormal noises and very hard pedal.
I personally find pressing the clutch pedal half way is sufficient in a BMW manual as it is self adjusting. This is just a guide.

This engine is also known for having some high oil consumption issues, caused by piston and rings not sealing correctly.
Have a look at the exhaust tail pipe on start up for Blue smoke and extremely black exhaust tips, also oil residue on rear of car, extreme case.

+1 Good info
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
rivera156
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoricuaE92
Quote:

Just saying...
Lmao!!!! +1
Que come mierda... Just saying
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Castle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivera156 View Post
Lmao!!!! +1
Que come mierda... Just saying
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Higgs1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonslap View Post
Hi there,

Thank you for the help! Went today, he test drove it, I went over it to ensure everything functioned correctly. They had all maintenance records, it was super clean and everything was great. Only thing was it needed 4 new tires, got them to include 4 Dunlop Wintersports and he'll be buying 4 new summer tires and rims next week.

He's really excited and I appreciate the help provided here. I'm sure you'll see him soon on here looking to start modding, already has the bug!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
Pistonslap
Australia
Rep
Drives: e91

Congratulations on your new purchase. I am glad I could provide some help.
Wish BMW's, cars in general, were that cheap in Australia.

Enjoy your new beast
Appreciate 0