E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Plz Help On Lawyer @ Municipal Court Of Mansfield & Ridgefield, NJ

07-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Post Plz Help On Lawyer @ Municipal Court Of Mansfield & Ridgefield, NJ

i really need your guys help on finding a traffic lawyer who can help me. hopefully won't be too much. thanks guys and all the help is much appreciated.

1. Speeding Ticket @ Ridgefield, NJ - Municipal Court Of Ridgefield.

on the road i was driving that night the speed limit is 50 or 55. after that road the speed is reduced to 40. as soon as i passed the speed limit 40 sign i saw the officer parked in the parking lot and slammed on my brakes even harder (i was gently slowing down to 40 in the 40mph zone). i thought the officer let me off the hook but after driving up the road 1-2 minutes in he flashed his lights on me and i got my ticket then.

another thing is that the officer had no speed gun on me as i have a radar detector. the first thing the officer said to me was "how fast were you going". deep inside i knew he didn't have my actual speed b/c of the radar detector but i got startled and said "i think 60 officer, im sorry". this is where i made my mistake. i should not have gave the officer something to work with but rather have said i don't know as i was paying attention to the road. lesson learned. (thanks to e90 post for this one for future prefrence)

2. Speeding Ticket + Careless Driving @ NJ Turnpike: Municipal Court Of Mansfield

today after a nice day witht he family on the way home i got pulled over on the NJ turnpike. the officer pulled me over and when he asked me how fast i was going i said, i don't know i was paying attention to the road. he said well i am pulling you for exceeding 90mph then he quickly returned to his car with my information and 15 minutes later gave me two tickets. this ticket also had no radar detector involved. just an estimated one. two tickets, one speeding 92 in a 65 and a careless driving one. i mean couldn't the guy at least give me a warning. he seemed really nice and gave me tips like this will hurt you badly so i suggest you plead not guilty and talk to the judge...yea ok...but thanks for the damn ticket!!!

i need a lawyer in both courts or can i just use one and settle this? i spoke to a friend and he said that since the tickets were out of state, me being a ny resident, i don't have to appear in court if lawyer is there.

Also happy 4th of july!!!

Last edited by hl0m4n; 07-03-2007 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
92 in a 65 and you think you should have gotten off with a warning?? That's twisted. Slow the hell down, especially with your family in the car (not to mention the safety of the other families you're sharing the road with).
      07-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
truong321
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
92 in a 65 and you think you should have gotten off with a warning?? That's twisted. Slow the hell down, especially with your family in the car (not to mention the safety of the other families you're sharing the road with).
what he said
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
RKP-M6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Coupe

you F*cked up....now pay the fines, and stop being a p*ssy.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by truong321 View Post
what he said
what they said. I know it's not your intention but speeding around like that just helps reinforce the whole "BMW drivers are speeding assholes" feeling that a lot of drivers have.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

I'M feeling a lot of love here

Slow down

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

+1
Quote:
      07-03-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
E92_335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
im sorry to say this but he is right. you have to learn to abide the speed laws... just pay the fines and learn next time not to speed
      07-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
omerfar23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i, 2008 335i e92

You are only sorry that you got caught speeding and don't even acknowledge that what you were doing was wrong.

anyways you are grown person so face consequences of your actions now.

good luck though.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #10
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

family was not in the car with me, just myself. we ate at a restaurant in maryland and rest of family took ferry to nantucket and i went home.

i really fed up this time. really got to learn how to control speed. i know i am young 18, driving a 50k sports car. ever since i turned 18 i got 2 speeding tickets in less then 5 months. i guess i got more aggressive once i got used to the car handling, power, etc.

i just wanted to see if i can get a second chance on this by getting a lawyer to remove this or to lower it. having points at my age is really a screw over.

yes i really fed up again, i learned that i need to control my speed and road rage but would like another shot without the tickets.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #11
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

dude, you already got a 'second chance', if you had slowed down after your 1 st ticket, you wouldn't have gotten the more severe speeding + reckless driving tickets.

And I'm not a hypocrite, I speed too, but I pick the place and time, and am fully aware of the consequences, if I get caught, I'll pay the fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
family was not in the car with me, just myself. we ate at a restaurant in maryland and rest of family took ferry to nantucket and i went home.

i really fed up this time. really got to learn how to control speed. i know i am young 18, driving a 50k sports car. ever since i turned 18 i got 2 speeding tickets in less then 5 months. i guess i got more aggressive once i got used to the car handling, power, etc.

i just wanted to see if i can get a second chance on this by getting a lawyer to remove this or to lower it. having points at my age is really a screw over.

yes i really fed up again, i learned that i need to control my speed and road rage but would like another shot without the tickets.
      07-03-2007, 11:04 PM   #12
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Despite your guilt, it's in your best interest to plead not guilty. You will get raped by the insurance company on your renewal if you don't even try to get points removed. There's no way the tickets are going to be thrown out unless the cop(s) decide not to show up on the court date. For the 65mph one, you shouldn't have too much a problem striking a plea to have the points removed and paying the fine. For the 95mph one, doubt you'll get the points removed, but you can at least try and negotiate the amount of points.

This is all somewhat complicated by your having a NY license. You have to check w/the NY DMV to see whether they have a deal w/NJ to have NJ points carry over to NY license.

EDIT: Though, it's highly likely NJ points will carry onto your NY license. Again, be prepared to pay the fines. It's the points you should be worried about. Don't bother getting a lawyer, waste of $ in most cases. For the 55mph one, check the statutes to determine whether local cops are allowed to use radar. In PA, locals weren't allowed to until just recently.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #13
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i Jet Black

NEVER EVER ADMIT YOU DID ANYTHING WRONG TO A POLICE OFFICER!!!! the officer will use it agaisnt you in court (any you say will be used against u in a court of law). always act oblivious to the fact that you were doing anything wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 11:55 PM   #14
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

How about you post this in your correct regional forum, you'll probably get more appropriate help.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 12:21 AM   #15
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaultOne View Post
NEVER EVER ADMIT YOU DID ANYTHING WRONG TO A POLICE OFFICER!!!!
Bullshit! Especially in traffic violation situations. If you just committed a felony, sure, you should STFU until you lawyer up. But when Johnny Law pulls you over doing 85 in a 55, and asks you how fast you were going, telling him anything other than the truth is simply insulting his intelligence and virtually guarantees you'll be written up, perhaps for the full enchilada, rather than getting a break and only being written for 10 over.. or perhaps not at all.
About 2 years ago this exact thing happened to me in my Scirocco, 85 in a 55 here in Phx. When the cop asked me how fast I was going, and I admitted to 85, he was pleasantly shocked. Ended up giving me a written warning only, said that being honest with him "goes a long way" and wished me a good evening. Had I tried to tell him I was going slower, or some other fish story, I'd have been toast. Respect the law - they're human too and they've already heard every story in the book 100x by the time they pull your speeding ass over!
      07-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #16
rooster3.0
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

NO! NEVER EVER ADMIT ANYTHING!!!!!!!!! As far as your first ticket, plead down to an "unsafe driving". It'll run ya around 500 bucks and no points. As far as your trooper incident, ask them to drop the speeding and either take "unsafe driving" number 2 which will run ya around 600 -800 bucks or just plead guilty to the careless, if they drop the speeding it'll only be two points. however if you get 3 unsafe driving charges in 5 years you'll get 4 points. slow down and get a better radar detector. also look at the tickets and see what method was written down to measure your speed. ya can pm me if ya need further assistance.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #17
GraphiteBrawler
Elton John Impersonator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LCI M3

Lol, the deal with my parents is that if I get one speeding ticket, I lose my car for 12 months, I cant believe after 3 your parents havent taken it away.
      07-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #18
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Please tell me this is true. If so all i have to do is pay of the tickets and i will get no points right? Just pay off and im good?

Source: http://www.nysdmv.com/dmvfaqs.htm
Section: If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?

The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

If you do not respond to a ticket or fail to pay a fine for a moving violation that you committed in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin, the DMV suspends your NYS driver license until you respond to the ticket or pay the fine. If a driver from a state except these six states fails to respond to a traffic ticket issued in NYS, their driver license will be suspended until the driver responds to the traffic ticket in NYS.

Drivers from other states must contact the DMV in their home state to get information about the effect of a traffic violation conviction that occurs in NYS.

If you receive a conviction for an alcohol-related or drug-related driving violation in any state, your NYS driver license is revoked for at least six months.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #19
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #20
rooster3.0
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

sorry bro, your reading that wrong. the ny nj and ct dmv all transfer points from one another. pm me your phone number if ya want, i'll break down the actual truth for ya
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #21
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster3.0 View Post
sorry bro, your reading that wrong. the ny nj and ct dmv all transfer points from one another. pm me your phone number if ya want, i'll break down the actual truth for ya
hey rooster are you a lawyer/attorney? can you help?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #22
jhilsinho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I 07

18 and speeding at 95 in the NJTP? Ewww
Appreciate 0