E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Removing center console trim I drive

06-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
TGIM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i e90

Removing center console trim I drive

Ive checked out numerous posts on here but none have a DIY on how to remove the trim on an I drive so I can wrap. If you know of a link please help! Sort of a noob working off an iPhone so it is a bit more difficult (for me) to maneuver around. Thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Just pull it off. Use something plastic at the passenger side and pry it off.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
CharlieBear
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 white red sold bc uknow

just did mine last week.

1 - take off the knob. ( put in neutral and press the level and pull up hard)
2 - if auto, push the sides inward and it should unlatch and pull up. ( will be hard to have a grip)
3 - start from the top center console, get a good grip from the big hole of the shifter you just took off and just pull up hard. Work your way down keep pulling up hard. It will wedge out.

No tools needed really.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
TGIM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBear View Post
just did mine last week.

1 - take off the knob. ( put in neutral and press the level and pull up hard)
2 - if auto, push the sides inward and it should unlatch and pull up. ( will be hard to have a grip)
3 - start from the top center console, get a good grip from the big hole of the shifter you just took off and just pull up hard. Work your way down keep pulling up hard. It will wedge out.

No tools needed really.
Okay so yeah I know how to take off the stuff around the auto shifter so I can grab from there... The Iknob part ... You said to push the sides inward. Lol here comes stupid/noob question; the sides of the knob? Do u take the knob off first and the the trim or does it all con out in one piece and then I disconnect the knob? Thank you for your patience!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGIM View Post
Okay so yeah I know how to take off the stuff around the auto shifter so I can grab from there... The Iknob part ... You said to push the sides inward. Lol here comes stupid/noob question; the sides of the knob? Do u take the knob off first and the the trim or does it all con out in one piece and then I disconnect the knob? Thank you for your patience!
You need to remove the knob first. That's actually the trickiest part because you need to really jerk it hard to get it off. You can't just pull or twist it off. It's best to move the mirror in toward the windshield so you don't hit your hand on it when the knob comes off.

But then it's just prying the edges of the trim off. You don't need to take the shift knob trim piece off until you get the entire center trim piece out. You will need to remove a couple of wires, but it comes off as one piece and then you can remove the knob trim and iDrive pieces.
      06-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
TGIM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
You need to remove the knob first. That's actually the trickiest part because you need to really jerk it hard to get it off. You can't just pull or twist it off. It's best to move the mirror in toward the windshield so you don't hit your hand on it when the knob comes off.

But then it's just prying the edges of the trim off. You don't need to take the shift knob trim piece off until you get the entire center trim piece out. You will need to remove a couple of wires, but it comes off as one piece and then you can remove the knob trim and iDrive pieces.
Very cool Chas! Thank you all so much!
Appreciate 0