E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Coolant temperature too high?

06-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Teohenwhy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Coolant temperature too high?

I have read that normal operating temperature should around 90c. Mine runs around 100c with normal driving in city roads with no traffic . This seem high , but I never get a warning for overheating or high temps. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teohenwhy View Post
I have read that normal operating temperature should around 90c. Mine runs around 100c with normal driving in city roads with no traffic . This seem high , but I never get a warning for overheating or high temps. What do you guys think?
What you've heard is wrong for an N52/N54. Because of the electronic water pump and t-stat, operating temp is all over the place by design. In low load/highway cruising expect 108C. It'll go down under heavy load/canyon carving.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Teohenwhy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
What you've heard is wrong for an N52/N54. Because of the electronic water pump and t-stat, operating temp is all over the place by design. In low load/highway cruising expect 108C. It'll go down under heavy load/canyon carving.
Ok thanks. I was thinking these temps having something to do with my fans sounding like a jet engine on hot days but apparently this is normal for our cars?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
ek99civic
BMW Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

WTF is celcius?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok thanks. I was thinking these temps having something to do with my fans sounding like a jet engine on hot days but apparently this is normal for our cars?
Well, that's maybe not normal. I've heard indications that a flaky water pump causes coolant to move too slowly, thus creating higher than *expected* temperatures (expected is the key word here), thus causing the DME to run the fan to MAX.

You might want to look into it, but 99C is not the reason. That's actually low. (Which, as an aside, could be further indication that you might have some kind of intermittent problem. The DME may be targetting a lower temperature because the water pump is misbehaving.)

You might want to have the car fully read for codes to be safe. You'd be best to catch a failing water pump before it totally fails at the worst possible time.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek99civic View Post
WTF is celcius?
What they use everywhere in the world except your country.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Teohenwhy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, that's maybe not normal. I've heard indications that a flaky water pump causes coolant to move too slowly, thus creating higher than *expected* temperatures (expected is the key word here), thus causing the DME to run the fan to MAX.

You might want to look into it, but 99C is not the reason. That's actually low. (Which, as an aside, could be further indication that you might have some kind of intermittent problem. The DME may be targetting a lower temperature because the water pump is misbehaving.)

You might want to have the car fully read for codes to be safe. You'd be best to catch a failing water pump before it totally fails at the worst possible time.
Can codes be read with Inpa Loader? If so how?

Last edited by Teohenwhy; 06-23-2012 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Teohenwhy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I would think that a failing water pump would cause a car to overheat which mine never does . And my loud fan, it has only happened one time and that day it was 106F outside. Other than that the fan isn't that loud.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I would think that a failing water pump would cause a car to overheat which mine never does . And my loud fan, it has only happened one time and that day it was 106F outside. Other than that the fan isn't that loud.
I read a thread on this board where people were complaining about bursts of max fan speed and it turned out to be the water pump intermittently misbehaving.

"Failing" can mean a lot of different things. I'm just reporting what I've heard in case it saves you a breakdown or a warped head.

Your post said that your fans sound like jet engines on hot days, not that it just happened the one time...
Appreciate 0