E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My 2006 325i is overheating and found this leak

06-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
marcodiaz93
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i

My 2006 325i is overheating and found this leak

my 2006 325i mysteriously started overheating after the shop cleared some codes it had. they couldn't tell me what the codes said because their computer wouldn't tell them. when i drove off 1 mile later the yellow indicator came on and about 30 seconds later the red one came on. drove home about 2 miles and let it cool down for an hour. checked coolant and it was low so i filled it to max and drove around for a little and it was fine.

so i drove about an hour on the freeway and later that day an hour back home and no problems did completely fine. then later that night about 3 hours later i drove down the street and again overheat! i at first thought it might be the water pump so i tried the venting process and it didn't work. so i unplugged the battery for 10 mins tried the venting process again and it worked! but car was still overheating. i tried the venting a third time after the car cooled down and no water pump again!!

so i decided to get under the car today, took belly pan off and noticed some coolant on the pan. i was squeezing around on some hoses and noticed that the hose that connects from the thermostat to the radiator (the bigger hose) was leaking right after the thermostat. unclipped the hose from thermostat and it slid right off. the radiator side was a lot more tougher to get off so I'm guessing the seal is bad since a lot of coolant was leaking from there when i squeezed it. this is part number to hose (17127531581) the one with the coolant temp sensor on it.

i ordered a bavarian tool and it won't be here till around tuesday so i can't check the codes as of now but i just thought that it was weird because it started happening right after those codes were cleared.

why would that seal have gone bad? I'm going to buy two new seals tomorrow and try it out but i just want to see what others opinions were as of why the seal could have gone bad, and why the water pump venting process only works after i unplug the battery for a while.
Appreciate 0