E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > iDrive Back-Order

07-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
chen_kenichi
First Time BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Question iDrive Back-Order

Hi, I was the person who complained about stereo flappig noise issue and that my car was in the shop for a week before the dealer found out what happen.
It turned out that the stereo (iDrive unit I assume) needs to be replace. The dealership put in an order but told me that it may take up to several week to get the order shipped. I was told about that a week and a half ago.
I called the dealership yesterday and asked about the order status. The person at parts department told me that there were actually two orders place. One for the stereo unit and one for an amplifier. The amplifier is in but there is no ETA on the stereo unit. And according to another person at service department, this stereo unit is on "galactic back-order". That was her words. Prior to getting my car back a week and a half ago, my service advisor told me that the stereo was on "national back-order".
What is going on? I know I don't read the forums that often but I don't really see people complaining strongly about stereo replacements. If this thing is on such a back-order, wouldn't people find such mention on various forums?
Maybe I am just ignorant but please tell me if anyone knows whats going on?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
shadye90
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Fanatic

Garage List
let me enlighten you..i work as a service advisor and what a back-order means is this..Usually every manufacturer has a local parts storage facility near by where the stock most of their major items..when something is on back order it means that neither the dealership, any nearby dealerships or that close by warehouse has it in stock and now they must go back to the manufacturer(in your case BMW USA) to get one..now sometimes even The manufacturer doesnt have it and they must call up their supplier/vendor who made it for them in the first place..so thats what a back order means..i think the advisor who said it was on a galactic back order was making a joke..hope this helps...

1988 E30 M3
Diamantschwartz/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
sapperelite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI, 03 Wrangler Sport

Could you elaborate on the flapping noise? I have noticed some noise coming from my system, sounds like something wrong with the speakers, especially when I play anything metal at a decent volume. I'm don't mean I crank it up but I like to hear the music when I'm driving down the highway with the windows down. Appreciate your help
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Galactic back order? Where's it coming from, Alpha Centauri? No wonder it takes so long.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
chen_kenichi
First Time BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

The noise I was referring to came from rear right speaker. It sounded like consistent flapping or some type of interference noise. If I turned the volume up, the noise got louder. I tried different radio stations, different CD's. I tried turning off Bluetooth, removed anything that could have generated electronic interference. However the noise persisted. The dealership even tried to swap out the right rear speaker but it didn't help. That was when it was determined that I need a new stereo. Since the dealership could not get the parts to fix the problem, they disconnected the speaker and the noise disappeared. The rest is as I have described. I just need to wait for the parts and get things fixed.
Appreciate 0