E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Lawyer In PA

07-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Lawyer In PA

Hey guys,

I just got a ticket coming back from Florida and need to fight it.

Anyone know a good lawyer I could use, I got the ticket on:

Zone: 10
City: Union
County: Crawford

Cought by radar going 85 MPH in 65 MPH zone.

Believe it or not the ticket only costs $165 which isn't the problem. I'm more worried about my points going up as Ontario (Canada) and PA share traffic violations with each other.

Thanks,

Ado
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Are you planning on showing up, having a lawyer alone will not help, you need to be there if you plan to fight it.

Also, are you sure about the points being shared, most states do not bother notifying other governments if you get a ticket and pay for it. Your ticket is in some little local town who is more interested in your money then the points. I doubt very much if they are going to waste thier time trying to figure out how to report you ticket in Canada.

Now if you ignore the ticket and the fine I do know they will spend the extra time to notify your local government.

But if you really want a lawyer try this link out http://www.lawyers.com/browse-by-area-of-law.html

You can select the kind of lawyer you want and the location.

What highway were you on, because i search on union and it was out in a middle no nowhere and it look like 81 was good distance off and there didn't seem to be any lawyers in that location.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the reply Maestro,

I don't remember which highway it was but I will check the route on my GPS to see which one it might have been.

I actually called a layers office in PA and they said they didn't have any lawyers that were in the area so I think I may have a hard time finding one in that county.

Regarding the ticket sharing, PA and NY along with other states which are close by or bordering with Canada do share tickets with each other even if you pay or don't pay it. (that's what I heard from a few truck drivers who got tickets around these areas) I know that's not the best source but it's enough to scare me as that would probably be a 4 point ticket.

The other thing that I did not know was that I had to be there with the lawyer. Here you can have your lawyer represent you and you didn't have to be in the court at all.

The other thing that I know about here is there are some guys that can actually get the ticket erased for you. Basically you pay about 1K or so and the ticket goes away. Not sure how but it magically disappears which would be nice.

Thanks again for your reply.

Ado
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
Maestro
Major
Rep

Well, you can fight most tickets and win, but usually what the lawyer does is plead the ticket down to a non-moving violation or 5 miles over in both cases no points. The local municipality are not required to turn the ticket into the state unless it carries points, so the ticket never see the light of day after a plead.

It looks like you were caught by the State Police which they use radar and those things are very old and many times you can beat them because of maintance or calibrations .

Go here and you can learn about beating tickets http://www.radardetector.net/

Also, the other way they beat the ticket is the fact that PA local courts do not use a prosecutor, so the judge or the cop act as the prosecutor which is not allowed and at lawer can ask for a dismissal on that fact. Lawyers generally do not like to do this especially if they have to deal with that court on an ongoing bases, it just pisses the judge off.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
mesier1111
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe, titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
Hey guys,

I just got a ticket coming back from Florida and need to fight it.

Anyone know a good lawyer I could use, I got the ticket on:

Zone: 10
City: Union
County: Crawford

Cought by radar going 85 MPH in 65 MPH zone.

Believe it or not the ticket only costs $165 which isn't the problem. I'm more worried about my points going up as Ontario (Canada) and PA share traffic violations with each other.

Thanks,

Ado

How do they share points? I am surprised considering PA doesn't share points with NJ (thought Nj does share with PA---i.e., PA resident gets yanked in NJ, no points. NJ driver gets yanked in PA, they get points).
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 11:40 PM   #6
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep

^^

I'm not sure, I really have to look into this a little more and find out if Pennsylvania really does share tickets with Ontario. I talked to a friend of mine who deals with tickets here locally and he said they did. I'll try calling the state tomorrow and find out what the deal is.

Anyone know who I should call? I'll try calling the police station from the cop that issued the ticket but not sure if I might get an answer there.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesier1111 View Post
How do they share points? I am surprised considering PA doesn't share points with NJ (thought Nj does share with PA---i.e., PA resident gets yanked in NJ, no points. NJ driver gets yanked in PA, they get points).
I am not sure why that happens, I guess NJ requires other states to report their drivers, it might have something to do with the fact that insurance companies began to pull of the NJ due to the high risk and NJ regulated how much drivers could be charged, so many be this was part of the compromise.

There was another discussion in this Forum about someone from NY getting a ticket in NJ and the fact that NY will not except point from any other state except Canada, and it goes both ways. NY reports to Canada and Canada reports to NY. PA could report to Canada, but I wonder if it works the other way.

Anyway the best way not to deal with points is to get the ticket pleed down. becuase most no point ticket never get reported to the state.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
^^

I'm not sure, I really have to look into this a little more and find out if Pennsylvania really does share tickets with Ontario. I talked to a friend of mine who deals with tickets here locally and he said they did. I'll try calling the state tomorrow and find out what the deal is.

Anyone know who I should call? I'll try calling the police station from the cop that issued the ticket but not sure if I might get an answer there.
Here is useful information and they have a number you can call about points on your record.

http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotfor...rms/dl-71p.pdf

I also found the CDL licenses (Truck Drives Licenses) follow a different set or rules, and points gives to CDL are transferred state to state, I assume there is a federal law that requires this. The interesting part is by having a CDL the person gives up most of their rights. The police can search the vehical without cause and they can require you to take a blood test without cause.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #9
Maestro
Major
Rep

Just so you know your just part of PA ticket quote system

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/587.asp
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #10
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep

Interesting read on that ticket quota. We have the same problem here in Toronto where the cops are saying there is none and the media is saying there is.

I'll try calling that number, hopefully they don't and I wont have to go through the lawyers. The ticket only costs $165. If i was to go to a lawyer I'm sure I'd have to pay much more then that.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
bigwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

You can call the Court Clerk and ask them for names of lawyers they see all the time. I did that for a ticket in Geneseo, NY and had the speeding ticket changed into more minor infraction. A local lawyer suggested I do this after he came up with no names and an internet search for traffic lawyers came up with nothing also.
HTH
Appreciate 0