E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Speed limiter defeat...

Closed Thread

07-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, M6

Speed limiter defeat...

Ok we know shiv knows how to do it, so who wants to call him and leak it to the press? Im dying for this, that car will go above 150 at texas motorspeedway and ive gotta be there soon
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
+1

Tuned E92 335, Riss Racing downpipes! And hopefully over 400RWHP!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

get RD Sport they supposedly have it already....
from what i know shiv cant do it because his I/O are planned for other features and he doesnt value this mod that much (because of liability reasons).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
(because of liability reasons).
I still dont get that. If someone shoots someone, do you blame the gun store?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
get RD Sport they supposedly have it already....
from what i know shiv cant do it because his I/O are planned for other features and he doesnt value this mod that much (because of liability reasons).
Why wouldn't Shiv value this mod that much? He obviously spends a lot of time answering questions about his tunings-the 335 in particular. Seems kind of strange taking time out of your day on something you don't care about.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

A better analogy is if someone bought a air pistol and someone had a modification to make it lethal and shot someone, do u blame the person that make the modification that made a potentially non-lethal item lethal?

I guess receiving calls from parents after their kid goes flying into a wall at 180 mph is enough of a deterant.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaji335i View Post
A better analogy is if someone bought a air pistol and someone had a modification to make it lethal and shot someone, do u blame the person that make the modification that made a potentially non-lethal item lethal?

I guess receiving calls from parents after their kid goes flying into a wall at 180 mph is enough of a deterant.
Hitting a wall at 150 or 180 is going to yield the same result. I hold who ever is driving the car responsible.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #8
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Yes, I agree but I can see the flip side of the coin from a tuners perspective.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #9
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaji335i View Post
Yes, I agree but I can see the flip side of the coin from a tuners perspective.
I wonder if there is has ever been a lawsuit against a tuner/co. regarding a removed speed limiter?

Regardless, I am sure if anything, it's just piece of mind for Shiv knowing he wasn't the one that made that mod available.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #10
Cadence
Private First Class
Rep

Let's get on with this! All the big tuners and software companies offer increased or removed top speed limiters and our 335s with PROcedes deserve the same! What gives Shiv?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #11
anidjare
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Le Mans E93 M3

I have seen a lot of you guys post on other topics, so with that said, I know you are all knowledgable about cars and tuning.

However, I do understand shiv and any other tuners in this respect.

The analogy of the gun is a pretty good one, and considering selling a gun to a minor, I can't imagine anyone saying the gun store is not responsible.

Not to say any of us are minors, (though some may be), the car was not designed to go over 155. Is it capable? I am sure it is. But problems such as tire rating and proper psi, lift, improper maintanence, oil temps and cooling (limp mode at 170 sounds scary), and whether or not any host of other parts were designed to withstand those forces is best kept to proffesionals, aka not minors, so to speak. JMHO
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #12
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Ok honestly how many americans do you know that can deal with going 155mph much less 180mph?

Before most of these soldiers on my post came to germany, the fastest in the states they ever went was 120mph.

Maybe he just feels that ya'll wouldnt be able to handle it, which I can agree with having been on the autobahn for the last 4 years and then going back to the states and driving a whopping 70mph on our way to orlando.

That being said, its your lives and he should just sell the product with whatever warning is needed to cover his company and include the speed limiter defeat.
      07-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #13
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by continentalg5 View Post
Why wouldn't Shiv value this mod that much? He obviously spends a lot of time answering questions about his tunings-the 335 in particular. Seems kind of strange taking time out of your day on something you don't care about.

Why dont you do a search and you'll find him saying the same thing... He wont tell you guys how to do it. But he said someone you guys will be able to figure it out and do it on your own (or something like that, i dont remember word for word).

I take time out of my day on something I dont care about... I read most of the posts on this forum and use it as knowledge. Thats why I was able to answer your question... Why dont you call him yourself.... its not that difficult to get their #.

He said he doesnt want to be liable for someone TESTing out their speed limiter removal and something happening... Plus after 160 you wouldnt be able to see how fast your going so it is pointless and you wouldnt be putting it to use everyday... No demand = no development
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 12:01 AM   #14
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why dont you do a search and you'll find him saying the same thing... He wont tell you guys how to do it. But he said someone you guys will be able to figure it out and do it on your own (or something like that, i dont remember word for word).

I take time out of my day on something I dont care about... I read most of the posts on this forum and use it as knowledge. Thats why I was able to answer your question... Why dont you call him yourself.... its not that difficult to get their #.

He said he doesnt want to be liable for someone TESTing out their speed limiter removal and something happening... Plus after 160 you wouldnt be able to see how fast your going so it is pointless and you wouldnt be putting it to use everyday... No demand = no development
But you cared enough to answer it!

Last edited by continentalg5; 07-11-2007 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 12:58 AM   #15
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Plus after 160 you wouldnt be able to see how fast your going so it is pointless and you wouldnt be putting it to use everyday... No demand = no development
I disagree.

1) Generally when I'm driving at 7/10ths or above, I am not looking at the speedo. I seriously don't know the mph that I take any of the turns on my last track day. I can remember I was wound out in 2nd or in the midrange in 3rd, but I don't look at the speedo during performance driving. But I can sure as hell tell when I hit the limiter and am not accelerating anymore.

NOW, if you are really dying to see how fast you're going, you should be...

2) Using a GPS. Because when your speedo says 155, you ain't goin' no 1-fity-five, buddy.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 01:36 AM   #16
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
There are plenty of I/Os still left in the PROcede (even with v2). But the idea of going 155+mph just to show that you can is just silly. If you want to go that fast, get a race car with a full cage. Unprepared street cars have no business going that fast on public roads with even an above average driver behind the wheel. I'm a bit more accepting of risk than most people when it comes to driving but I get no thrill in puting my foot to the floor and waiting until the car stops accelerating.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 01:42 AM   #17
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
...But the idea of going 155+mph just to show that you can is just silly. ...Unprepared street cars have no business going that fast on public roads...
Shiv: I think the OP wanted to run his car on the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 01:47 AM   #18
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
Shiv: I think the OP wanted to run his car on the track.
Without a cage? I've seen a lot of high speed accidents on race tracks. And those involving unprepped street cars don't turn out well.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 02:05 AM   #19
j|rz44
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i|E92

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
There are plenty of I/Os still left in the PROcede (even with v2). But the idea of going 155+mph just to show that you can is just silly. If you want to go that fast, get a race car with a full cage. Unprepared street cars have no business going that fast on public roads with even an above average driver behind the wheel. I'm a bit more accepting of risk than most people when it comes to driving but I get no thrill in puting my foot to the floor and waiting until the car stops accelerating.

Shiv
Im with the smart guy
      07-11-2007, 02:14 AM   #20
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Dr Kervokian went to jail for assisted suicide. Didn't he?

Ok, jokes aside, you don't necessarily have to kill anyone yourself. Assisting by providing the implements of death when it can be proved you new or atleast strongly suspected the results but proceded anyway will land you in hot soup. Kervokian learned that the hard way. Not a very good analogy, but one anyway. I think Shiv is being conscientious, so if he is uncomfortable with it, give it a rest, or maybe experiment and figure it out without his help.
      07-11-2007, 02:44 AM   #21
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Without a cage? I've seen a lot of high speed accidents on race tracks. And those involving unprepped street cars don't turn out well.

Shiv
Its got a bar.... and the car stock in germany is not governed so whoever posted that the car isnt maent to do over that is wrong... Im just saying, if people want to be able to do this, WHICH I DEFFINATLY DO, we should be able to, For off-road use only though .
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 02:47 AM   #22
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it can obviously do that as well. But due to liability concerns, we're not going to officially offer or support that feature. However, I suspect it will only be a matter of time before someone posts up directions on how to do that. It wont be us though.

-shiv
^ Then tell someone who is willing to post it how to do it, hell ill do it, test it and post it, any questions asked I must have been able to figure out how you did it on your car or one with an open ecu cover. Atleast gimme a pic or something of the wiring that needs to be done, hell a two sentece write up or even a phone call would work.

Also, you promised me this as a direct response to an earlier thread

Quote:
The speed sensor input will be a part of the v2 software update we are working on right now. With it, we will incorporate launch control, torque management, and a whole slew of safety/driveability features. It can also be used to bump up (or eliminate) the speed limiter. It's been tested in the 12Hr Bathurst race cars on the track. Will start testing it in our street car next week. Just give us a bit more time

Shiv
So where are the results? And when are you going to respond to my PM's, emails, phone calls, or even my techs. I have and will stand by the PROcede, but you need to address some promises, and I would really love for thoose maps you promised to send me until it ran right, need anymore info to make them? how about the car in cali?

You cant just release a product and then not back it to support complements. You should release the speed limiter defeat instructions, as promised, and hopefully some minor map editing software so I can tune my car, without spending thousands A) bringing it to you B) paying you $250 an hour to tune it c) flying myself up there D) Getting told the issue must be mechanical. Im willing to spend the cash, but you havent been compliant, PROcede's are the shit, nothing better, on a stock car (And id like to maintain that same mindset as I did when you first did the install on my car personally, and bitched Jay out for smoking a cigarrette). So could Everyone and Myself recieve a little bit more consumer options? Or am I (and soon to be others, spearco intercooler with downpipes) left in the dust?

PROcede's are amazing, screw AA's xede its a pile, I have seen the two boards next to eachother and it was blatently obvious PROcede is more bang for your buck then any Xede, but only on stock cars. So could some techs (someone sign a piece of legal paper, hell ill have the papers drawn out to your specs overnighted there and back and make a legal contract with you if need be) get access to these "secrets".
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread