E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > hard water stains on fully detailed car...how to fix?! HELP!!!

07-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
RKP-M6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Coupe

hard water stains on fully detailed car...how to fix?! HELP!!!

hey guys so a few months back I got a full professional detail to my white 12' range rover sport. turned out flawless! after this detail i bought all of my own equipment from autogeek (600 dollars worth of stuff) and have been practicing (on an old beater car) to perfect my skills. I ran into an issue with my range rover where I accidentally got some hard water stains on the paint and they are being stubborn and not going away with a simple wash of the car. So I ask do i need to strip all the polish and wax on the entire car and start from scratch? or is there a way to fix this without ruining the work of the detailer? hope this makes sense, thanks guys!
      07-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

The watermarks have already gone through any protective coatings on the surface and yes you'll have to remove any remaining protection on the areas you treat. If a traditional wash or a vinegar solution doesn't fix it then you'll either need to polish it or use a product like Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover. The Water Spot Remover is a very strong chemical solution that works extremely well on light to medium water mark etchings. The more traditional route is polishing and it's tough to know what is needed until you start trying. A very light polish or an AIO product might fix it but deeper etchings may require a more aggressive polish it really just depends. I'd recommend starting with a light polish and moving up as needed. The Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 is a good example and then you can move up to the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 if you have to. This can be done by hand and for a few small areas it works well, but if the car is covered in marks a buffer is going to be a huge help. Hope this info helps!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
bk20627
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
The watermarks have already gone through any protective coatings on the surface and yes you'll have to remove any remaining protection on the areas you treat. If a traditional wash or a vinegar solution doesn't fix it then you'll either need to polish it or use a product like Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover. The Water Spot Remover is a very strong chemical solution that works extremely well on light to medium water mark etchings. The more traditional route is polishing and it's tough to know what is needed until you start trying. A very light polish or an AIO product might fix it but deeper etchings may require a more aggressive polish it really just depends. I'd recommend starting with a light polish and moving up as needed. The Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 is a good example and then you can move up to the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 if you have to. This can be done by hand and for a few small areas it works well, but if the car is covered in marks a buffer is going to be a huge help. Hope this info helps!

Greg @ DI
question for you.
i juss bought Chemical-Guys-M31/Water-Spot-Remover, and Ultra-Finishing-Polish-205-P38

but still have water spot...

what should i do?

thank you
      07-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

These articles may provide some relevant information and How-To’s – “Removing Surface Contaminants (tree sap, water spots, and etc) Hyperlinks” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html

I hope the information in these articles is of some help to you. If you have any further questions please let me know
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

using a chemical cleaner wax like chemical guys ezcream glaze might work for the water spots as well, then just re-seal the car
Appreciate 0