E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Courtesy car time!

07-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Courtesy car time!

Took mine in for its first service this morning and they're keeping it for a couple of days to hopefully cure some rattles. Obviously I'd booked a courtesy car. In fact I'd specified a particular car...

I absolutely love driving the Mini. None of this Countryman, Clubman, Coupe nonsense. Is there a better small FWD car? This one's only a Mini One D with a fairly basic spec but it's superb. In fact if I hadn't asked for this I'd have got a BMW of some sort but no, I wanted a Mini

And in case you're wondering, no it wasn't that clean when I picked it up. I even washed it! And gave it a bit of a spray wax, a vac, tyre black, checked the tyres and oil, tuned the radio 'correctly'...

:edit:

Just heard. They've taken the dash out of mine
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Next time your car goes in, borrow mine, just give at back as clean as that mini!!!
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Took mine in for its first service this morning and they're keeping it for a couple of days to hopefully cure some rattles. Obviously I'd booked a courtesy car. In fact I'd specified a particular car...

I absolutely love driving the Mini. None of this Countryman, Clubman, Coupe nonsense. Is there a better small FWD car? This one's only a Mini One D with a fairly basic spec but it's superb. In fact if I hadn't asked for this I'd have got a BMW of some sort but no, I wanted a Mini

And in case you're wondering, no it wasn't that clean when I picked it up. I even washed it! And gave it a bit of a spray wax, a vac, tyre black, checked the tyres and oil, tuned the radio 'correctly'...

:edit:

Just heard. They've taken the dash out of mine
Was your creeks more of a cracking?

My dash had to come out to spot weld the bulkhead after a weld or two let go.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Next time your car goes in, borrow mine, just give at back as clean as that mini!!!
Trust me, it was filthy when I picked it up. Even the tech who handed me the keys looked a little ashamed. And the inside, who on earth has sugary drinks in their car?

I have to confess that when I said "I even washed it" I meant I paid some East Europeans to wash it. Though I did everything else myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Was your creeks more of a cracking?

Yes it is a cracking. When the car flexes over an uneven surface rather than rattling over potholes. There's a guy local to me who posted last time I mentioned this and we've stayed in touch. The same thing was happening to his E91 and it was something to do with the top of the dash coming adrift from the clips that mount it to the bottom of the windscreen area. Or somesuch. Anyway, we'll see.

Either way, I'm playing 'Fantasy Mini Spec'ing' tonight...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

But more seriously, is there a better FWD car in this class?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Sounds the same as mine.

The cracking came from straight ahead over the top of the steering wheel.

It was a pretty big job and it took a while to get right. They also broke my windscreen whilst taking it out so I got a new one of those too.

I would take the Clio 200 over a Mini.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Oh Jesus...the thought of this makes me cringe. I wonder what I would have done faced with the prospect of a faulty in the cars structure ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
But more seriously, is there a better FWD car in this class?
After our JCW (and excepting the numerous creaks and rattles that it has ), probably not.

Quote:

I would take the Clio 200 over a Mini.
Then again.......probably this ^^
Appreciate 0