Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Flat Tire Monitor

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Flat Tire Monitor

So I leave for Montreal from NYC this morning. About less than 50miles into the trip, I get a flat tire warning. I was able to pull over to the shoulder to reset the tire monitor but I couldn't check the pressure. I had to drive about 10miles until there was a rest area. During that 10miles the FTM didn't go off again. So I check the pressure and all 4 tires were above 35psi but it wasn't set to the correct psi for each tire. I just had my driver side rear tire replaced about 2 weeks ago. I know the tech checked all 4 tire pressure. I guess he didn't fill it up correctly. I'm not even sure if he reset the FTM when they changed the tire and added more air to each tire.

So I adjusted all 4 tire pressure to the correct psi and reseted the FTM. Than I drove about over 400miles. The FTM didn't go off again.

So why did my FTM go off? Dealer didn't reset the FTM? But I did drive a few times after the tire change. Why go off now? I did leave my car parked in the underground garage for about over a week. It's a little cool there. And the tires do get flatspot. I left early in the morning when the weather was still cool than maybe the tires heated up and caused the FTM to go off?

So if I was able to drive an additional 400 miles without the FTM going off, does that mean that the tires are fine?

Well I'm in Montreal now.

Old: 08 E92 335i|Space Gray/Coral Red/Gray Poplar

Old: 06 E90 330i|Black Sapphire/Black /Burl
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
From the owner's manual:

Functional requirement
In order to assure the reliable reporting of a flat tire, the system must be initialized for the correct tire inflation pressure.

System limitations
In the following situations, the system could be delayed or malfunction:
> System has not been initialized
> Driving on snowy or slippery road surface
> Performance-oriented style of driving: slip in the drive wheels, high lateral acceleration
> If snow chains are attached

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Interesting. I must have not read the system limitations section thoroughly.

Old: 08 E92 335i|Space Gray/Coral Red/Gray Poplar

Old: 06 E90 330i|Black Sapphire/Black /Burl
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 07:18 AM   #4
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

that system is crap!
Same happened to me...a few posts below.
Turned out it was the computer malfunction. So unreliable for a very important thing...
Appreciate 0