E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rims and Tires

08-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Drill335xi
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335xi

Rims and Tires

Hey BMW owners, hope everyone is safe and healthy!

Hi ladies and gents! So the other night while I was cruising in my midnight 335xi. My little cousin and I went to go pick up some pizza. So while blasting tunes, and doing a little conversing-POW! A huge sound erupted from the outside of my car! Frantic-I immediately pulled over and had the assumption that my tommy belt snapped off. I shut off the car,and boom. I could hear my Brigdestone tires doing their job(run flats). I was, sad-my order of the BMS JB4 came in with the company of its Dual Cone Intakes ready to be installed. Along with some fun stuff; the jack stands I just bought,oil that needed too be changed, and finally the shift knob. I drove home, got the car towed, and called STS tire service to help me out with some new(yes we are finally getting to the question)---tires!! So the mechanic told me that my rear drivers side rim was what caused my tire to pop. So he says 350 dollars for a new rim, so I go on eBay and Craigslist, both showed great deals on the CSL rims! 19"-boy was I on love. Now that I got an idea for rims, I'm going too need some tires. But here's the catch low budget, I got a grand to spend, but I need recommendations such as: will the CSL rims fit on an xi and what will be the best tires for the season being(note that I will be leaving in the winter because of my career) so please if you guys can help of appreciate it. Have an excellent day!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

What exactly was wrong with the rim that caused the tire to pop? I tend to not trust mechanics, so I'm a bit skeptical that you need a new tire.

Not sure about the rim fitment, but I have 2 tire recommendations. If you have the money, Michelin Pilot Super Sports are VERY good tires, but run about $900 for all 4, at least for my sport-package 335i. If you're on a lower budget, you might look into Nitto NT555. They are pretty good, and much cheaper. This is all assuming you want a summer-only tire.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Drill335xi
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335xi

Hey and thanks for repling, but the mechanic said that my rim was chipped? But I don't really know why. But thanks for the recommendation I really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
CSL wheels will fit on an XI assuming they aren't a crazy offset. Just make sure if you're buying off of eBay they aren't cheap ones that bend easily.

The Michelin's are excellent. Also look into Conti DW or Hankook V12's for cheaper alternatives.
      08-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

Are you trying to spend $1000 for new wheels and tyres? That is going to happen unless you buy the cheapest knockoff eBay crap available. If you want a realistic tyre suggestion, get the Continental DW if you want summers or the Continental DWS for all-seasons. Both are among the bottom 10% in pricing but the top 10% for performance--great value for money. Once in a while they run promotions as well. I picked up a set of DWs earlier this summer and a free Nook showed up to the house a few days later. Naturally, I gave this to the wife with a lot of fanfare so I looked real thoughtful.
Appreciate 0