Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > what do offsets on a wheen mean? how is it measured?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

what do offsets on a wheen mean? how is it measured?

Can anyone tell me or teach me about offsets on wheels? what do they mean exactly, and how are they measured. Let' say I want to run a staggered set up, with 20x8.5 (front) and 20x10 (rear). What would be the best offset for that sized wheels without me rubbing in the rear? And also what width of tires should I consider on both front and rear? Please help out, thanks ahead!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
jonm42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: too fast for conditions.

Welcome, fellow PDX personage!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

There are soo many factors you have to consider here. Here are a few that comes to mind...

1. What suspension are you on? Stock? Sports? Do you plan on lowering the car anymore?

2. What brand of tires are you looking to get? Because the width of all tires are not the same. IE 265/30/20 in Toyo is thinner than 265/30/20 in some other brands.

3. Do you want a really flushed look? Meaning rolling fenders may be required.

As far as the offset goes, the lower the offset, the more it sticks out, the higher the number, the more it sticks inside.

I think 30 offset in the rear would be good for you sine you want a 10 inch width wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Take a look here:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

ahh........okay, now I understand......a little more......lol.

Thanks spacedogg!!

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
There are soo many factors you have to consider here. Here are a few that comes to mind...

1. What suspension are you on? Stock? Sports? Do you plan on lowering the car anymore?

2. What brand of tires are you looking to get? Because the width of all tires are not the same. IE 265/30/20 in Toyo is thinner than 265/30/20 in some other brands.

3. Do you want a really flushed look? Meaning rolling fenders may be required.

As far as the offset goes, the lower the offset, the more it sticks out, the higher the number, the more it sticks inside.

I think 30 offset in the rear would be good for you sine you want a 10 inch width wheel.
Okay, so I'm just gonna throw this out there, since you sound like you know what you're talking about.....

1. I want to get some KW V2 suspension w/ 1.75" drop in back, and 2.0" drop in front.

2. I was thinking some falkon's or Toyo's if they offer the size, I want to have 245/30 ZR 20 in front, and 285/25 ZR 20 in the back.....Now I don't know who all offers tires in those sizes, but i'd imagine just a few brands will.

3. As far as having a flushed look, isn't something that i'm dying for, but at the same time, I don't want my rears to poke out either. So I guess you can say somewhere in the middle?? If that's at all possible......

Do you think I can go 20x11 in the rear and still get away with it fitting okay without it poking out?? If so, I'd rather do that instead.......

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated........

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Okay, so I'm just gonna throw this out there, since you sound like you know what you're talking about.....

1. I want to get some KW V2 suspension w/ 1.75" drop in back, and 2.0" drop in front.

2. I was thinking some falkon's or Toyo's if they offer the size, I want to have 245/30 ZR 20 in front, and 285/25 ZR 20 in the back.....Now I don't know who all offers tires in those sizes, but i'd imagine just a few brands will.

3. As far as having a flushed look, isn't something that i'm dying for, but at the same time, I don't want my rears to poke out either. So I guess you can say somewhere in the middle?? If that's at all possible......

Do you think I can go 20x11 in the rear and still get away with it fitting okay without it poking out?? If so, I'd rather do that instead.......

I expect you are going to roll your fenders, you'll have to get higher offset cause you are going really wide with your 20's(so your offset will change maybe like an et45). Will you likely have problems yes, I highly recommend getting the measurments done before putting these wheels on.

And when you are ready to get the KW's let us know we'll be happy to help you.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron************ View Post
I expect you are going to roll your fenders, you'll have to get higher offset cause you are going really wide with your 20's(so your offset will change maybe like an et45). Will you likely have problems yes, I highly recommend getting the measurments done before putting these wheels on.

And when you are ready to get the KW's let us know we'll be happy to help you.
et45? Does that mean a 45mm offset? I just used the calculator for wheel offsets provided by tire rack. I chose a 20x9 front with 34mm offset, and 20x10 rear with 30mm offset........now will that work?

The calculator didn't say anything about it not fitting......So how can I determine that? Do I have to actually go to a wheel & tire shop to try on different offsets?

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The tires I hope to run are 245/30 ZR 20 in front, and 285/25 ZR 20 in rear, now the brand depends on which manufacturer actually makes those sized tires......I was thinking Falkon or Toyo? Any help is appreciated.....Thanks!!

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
JOSG328I
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328I Sedan

Garage List
2007 328I  [0.00]
Go with the TOYO T1R's they are a little pricing but I really like mine and have no complaints on them. Also the are rounded edge and not very square.

The only thing I think you will be fine with the ET30mm on the 20x10 but you will have to roll the fender, Do you have an E90 or E92?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSG328I View Post
Go with the TOYO T1R's they are a little pricing but I really like mine and have no complaints on them. Also the are rounded edge and not very square.

The only thing I think you will be fine with the ET30mm on the 20x10 but you will have to roll the fender, Do you have an E90 or E92?
I loved my Toyo T1r's on my old car! The shop I go to use this series for a lot of cars that are pushing the limit because the edge is rounded, not quite squared like you said.

To the OP, those tires seem like they're a bit on the thick side. I'm lowered on KW V2s, how many inches? I don't know..but there is no finger gap anymore.

I have 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear. 235/35s in front and 265/30s in the rear. Offset of the rear is 40, and I have a 15mm spacer...car is fine, but I rub with a full load of passengers so I had my fenders rolled.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #12
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

There's no way you can fit an 11 inch wide wheel on a stock body E9x. Even 10.5 would be pushing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #13
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
There's no way you can fit an 11 inch wide wheel on a stock body E9x. Even 10.5 would be pushing it.
Maybe I'll just try to squeeze some 10.5s in the rear then, I was thinking 25 series tires for the rear also.....For some reason, I've had both tires that are rounded on the edge and square on the edge on my old car, and I like the more squared edge tires better.

I think it looks better with the wheel, it give it the flushed look when seen from the rear. So does anyone out there know of a brand of tires that has more of the squared edge?? I was thinking falkon's because my friend got those on his E55, and it looks fine.....Any suggestions?? Thanks....

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #14
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
I don't know how anyone suggests Toyo T1R's to anyone. I had them on my s2k and absolutely hated them, all they did was squeel whenever I remotely pushed the car. My friend had them on his 996TT and he also thought that they were garbage. I would never use those tires again, and I can get them at cost.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #15
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
I don't know how anyone suggests Toyo T1R's to anyone. I had them on my s2k and absolutely hated them, all they did was squeel whenever I remotely pushed the car. My friend had them on his 996TT and he also thought that they were garbage. I would never use those tires again, and I can get them at cost.
What brand of tires do you suggest? I've had Toyo's on my old 325is before, and I don't particularly like them either, I'd prefer some tires w/ more of a squared edge to give the wheel/tires a flushed look.....My favorite still has to be the Michelin Pilot Sport, but they cost an arm and a leg......So that's why I'm looking for alternatives in tire selection......Any help is appreciated........Thanks!!

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #16
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
What brand of tires do you suggest? I've had Toyo's on my old 325is before, and I don't particularly like them either, I'd prefer some tires w/ more of a squared edge to give the wheel/tires a flushed look.....My favorite still has to be the Michelin Pilot Sport, but they cost an arm and a leg......So that's why I'm looking for alternatives in tire selection......Any help is appreciated........Thanks!!
On my last few sets of wheels I have been buying BFGoodrich KDW2's, for the price I think that they offer great traction in the dry and wet, and the fact that they have a 300 treadwear is the icing on the cake. I also like Goodyear Eagle F1's, but they cost a little more and I don't think that they are really any better then the BFG's. Are there better tires out there? Sure, but they will cost you a lot more for not much of a difference in performance. For the price I think that the KDW2's are a good deal. I will be buying another set when I go with new wheels for the 335.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #17
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.

Additional Wheel Tech Articles Alloy vs. Steel Wheels in Winter Tire & Wheel Packages Bolt Pattern Centerbore Finishes and Care How We Know What Fits How We Know What Fits Part 2 Offset Owner's Manual Performance Benefits Proper Lug Nuts or Lug Bolts Road Wheel Weights Can Affect Your Vehicle's Show...and Go The Custom Assembly of O.Z. 3-Piece Wheels The Plus Concept The Right Fit is More Than Just Diameter Tire & Wheel Package Installation Tire & Wheel Package Ride Quality Confirmation Tire/Rim Protectors Using Alloy Wheels on the Track What is Quality? What is an Alloy Wheel? Wheel Construction Wheel Cover Installation Instructions Wheel Lug Torquing

So from what is described above, most rear wheel offsets should be negative then? Because all I've been seeing is +32 or +38 when describing rear wheel offsets.......Shouldn't it be -32 or -38 in this case?

Someone please elaborate........thanks.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #18
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

this is a good post as well

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0