F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R Super Sport Springs w/ Adaptive M Suspension
GetBMWParts

08-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
brentmeister7592
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

H&R Super Sport Springs w/ Adaptive M Suspension

I just picked up my 335i M-Sport. Will springs be able to be installed with the adaptive M suspension???

BTW, heres a pic of the car

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

I'd kind of like to know this too. my understanding is that with a regular suspension, when you do springs you sort of have to do shocks/struts to match the new springs. but with the adaptive suspension, it should theoretically adapt to the new springs, or rather all settings, and therefore only the springs are needed to properly drop the car. or is that, like many other things, grossly oversimplified?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
ƒ°
Rep

Ric's 335i is lowered on H&R Sport Springs + Adaptive M Suspension.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691261

The Adaptive M Suspension will work despite any springs you put in. Since the Adaptive M Sus isn't adjusting anything spring related. However, lowering the car that much will surely null some of the advantages of Adaptive M Sus. Less shock/strut travel room plus stiffer springs may exaggerate or lessen the effects of Adaptive M Sus.

Basically just lowering your car on lowering springs alone will give you almost no NET benefits for performance. It'll look good though.

Me? I can't wait to ditch my H&R Sport Springs. The bounciness is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
brentmeister7592
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
Ric's 335i is lowered on H&R Sport Springs + Adaptive M Suspension.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691261

The Adaptive M Suspension will work despite any springs you put in. Since the Adaptive M Sus isn't adjusting anything spring related. However, lowering the car that much will surely null some of the advantages of Adaptive M Sus. Less shock/strut travel room plus stiffer springs may exaggerate or lessen the effects of Adaptive M Sus.

Basically just lowering your car on lowering springs alone will give you almost no NET benefits for performance. It'll look good though.

Me? I can't wait to ditch my H&R Sport Springs. The bounciness is ridiculous.
Oh good to know! I don't want to sacrifice the ride quality for BOUNCY. Is it really that unbearable? I had them on my Audi TT, and they didnt have that affect. Then again, this car is 1500lbs. heavier!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone run the HR super sports with the M-adapative suspension yet so its hard to say for sure. They should work with no issue but I don't know what effect they will have on handling/ride quality

I've been running the HR sports for two days with no problem (didnt really expect to have any). In terms of ride it seems to have firmed up a bit, haven't noticed to much "bouncy-ness" but then again I've only put 30 miles on them

I'm hoping that BMW or Dinan will release a system specifically developed for the M-adaptive suspension in the near future.

-Scott

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott@bmwhn View Post
Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone run the HR super sports with the M-adapative suspension yet so its hard to say for sure. They should work with no issue but I don't know what effect they will have on handling/ride quality

I've been running the HR sports for two days with no problem (didnt really expect to have any). In terms of ride it seems to have firmed up a bit, haven't noticed to much "bouncy-ness" but then again I've only put 30 miles on them

I'm hoping that BMW or Dinan will release a system specifically developed for the M-adaptive suspension in the near future.

-Scott
The ride is definitely bearable... but how annoying it will become really depends on your threshold for comfort. My particular dissatisfaction is only rooted in the possibility that the car CAN be lowered and CAN be as comfortable as stock but with better performance. Unfortunately, the H&R springs alone do seem to make the performance better (real tests might prove otherwise) by making the car overly stiff and bouncy.

One way to see how bouncy the car is on H&R Sport Springs is to take it on the freeway at night. Drive in the fast lane and look at your headlight beam on the side freeway barrier. Compare it to the other car's lights. You will definitely see your car bouncing around everywhere on every little bump. I know that some bounce is characteristic of a stiff car. But for a 1" drop (Sport Line), it's unacceptable to me. It would've been totally fine on my Acura Integra 15 years ago, but not on a BMW.

But it's what I expected on a $300 upgrade. It was a temporary solution for me. And a way to review it and let people on this board know. Some folks believe the H&Rs alone ride better than stock and should have come that way from the factory. That is absolutely nuts unless you like stiff bouncy ride that bottoms out on medium dips.

Thankfully all the coilover suspension solutions are coming out now. I thought I would have to wait longer, but I'm quite happy about getting in a set.

Hope this has helped.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

I agree with you on all points.

lowering springs are never my first choice for my or my customers cars, but at the price they are feasable as a temporary solution and I am satisfied thus far (again only 30 miles so far )

-Scott

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
brentmeister7592
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
The ride is definitely bearable... but how annoying it will become really depends on your threshold for comfort. My particular dissatisfaction is only rooted in the possibility that the car CAN be lowered and CAN be as comfortable as stock but with better performance. Unfortunately, the H&R springs alone do seem to make the performance better (real tests might prove otherwise) by making the car overly stiff and bouncy.

One way to see how bouncy the car is on H&R Sport Springs is to take it on the freeway at night. Drive in the fast lane and look at your headlight beam on the side freeway barrier. Compare it to the other car's lights. You will definitely see your car bouncing around everywhere on every little bump. I know that some bounce is characteristic of a stiff car. But for a 1" drop (Sport Line), it's unacceptable to me. It would've been totally fine on my Acura Integra 15 years ago, but not on a BMW.

But it's what I expected on a $300 upgrade. It was a temporary solution for me. And a way to review it and let people on this board know. Some folks believe the H&Rs alone ride better than stock and should have come that way from the factory. That is absolutely nuts unless you like stiff bouncy ride that bottoms out on medium dips.

Thankfully all the coilover suspension solutions are coming out now. I thought I would have to wait longer, but I'm quite happy about getting in a set.

Hope this has helped.
I appreciate the winded response. Helped me alot! I had the springs ordered before I picked up the car. Looks like I will return them... I can live without a 1.5" drop, and be comfortable everytime I drive the car
Appreciate 0