F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Opinion of BMW Dealers
Studio RSR

09-04-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
RJK2128
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Opinion of BMW Dealers

I'm interested in any comments any of you may have about BMW dealers, and how you have been treated regarding the purchase of your cars.
I ordered a new 330d M Sport in July, and since that date, have had no contact from the dealer, the only updates I have is when I make the effort to contact them. I was initially told my car had been built and was to be delivered to me on the 3rd September. That transpired to be wrong, as I was then told less than two weeks ago the car hadn't been built (I was originally told it had been built early August). After some complaining, indeed moaning on my part, I was told the car would be built week 30 something, and would be at the dealers next week (w/c 10th) for collection by me the following week. After again chasing them this morning, apparently it is not due with the dealer until at least the following week, but I just find them so vague and almost unconcerned. I currently own a Mercedes, and found the purchase of that especially the delivery to be so professional, with regular updates from the dealer. Is this normal then for BMW or have I been unlucky or perhaps selected the wrong dealer??
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

I have two dealers within 12 miles of my house. One of them is rubbish and one of them is excellent. At least that's been my pre-sales experience of them If you want 5* dealer service, buy a Porsche.
      09-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
RJK2128
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm not looking for 5* treatment, though with the cost of the car I perhaps have a right to expect somewhere near it. I just want openness and honesty, plus an occasional call from them when things change, and not to be treated simply as a cash cow or a means of achieving their sales targets.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Can't fault my dealer. Ordered F30 335i beginning of July and collected it last Saturday (1st Sep). They have kept in touch throughout with updates and been more than helpful with all of my changes to the original spec. This is my third BMW from the same dealer, which it wouldn't be if they weren't so good as I have a choice of two others relatively local to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK2128 View Post
I'm interested in any comments any of you may have about BMW dealers, and how you have been treated regarding the purchase of your cars.
I ordered a new 330d M Sport in July, and since that date, have had no contact from the dealer, the only updates I have is when I make the effort to contact them. I was initially told my car had been built and was to be delivered to me on the 3rd September. That transpired to be wrong, as I was then told less than two weeks ago the car hadn't been built (I was originally told it had been built early August). After some complaining, indeed moaning on my part, I was told the car would be built week 30 something, and would be at the dealers next week (w/c 10th) for collection by me the following week. After again chasing them this morning, apparently it is not due with the dealer until at least the following week, but I just find them so vague and almost unconcerned. I currently own a Mercedes, and found the purchase of that especially the delivery to be so professional, with regular updates from the dealer. Is this normal then for BMW or have I been unlucky or perhaps selected the wrong dealer??
I can't praise my dealer enough. Since ordering I had regular updates from them and was kept up to date. When my car entered production my dealer checked the system every day and if there was a change he would send through the screenshot showing all the details. Whenever I went in, all the staff were friendly and helpful. I even got a gift from them when I collected the car. Any query I had would be answered quickly. All round 5* treatment.

Sounds to me like you've been very unlucky with yours. They really don't seem bothered about your business. I hope you got a great deal to take the edge off the experience!
      09-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

Variable is the best word I can use. I was looking to spend a lot of money and, after being ignored by two salesmen at Cooper Reading initially, I visited 5 different dealers in the South East with the spec I wanted. Some salesmen didn't even belong selling second hand video recorders, intellectually challenged at best, but others were reasonable. Eventually went back to Cooper Reading and complained to the sales manager now armed with competitor prices. He was most helpful and I did a deal. So I would say shop around, you are in control as is it your money and don't be afraid to walk away or complain.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

It is beyond believe how uncooperative some salesman can be – especially considering how much money you are going to spend with them. As said, some are great and some are not much cop.

You could get a better sales service/experience buying a toaster from Comet/Curries in some instances.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

It's amazing isn't it. Having said that, I worked in "the trade" for nigh on 6 years and the vast majority of salesmen were chumps. There were some absolute diamonds, don't get me wrong, but lots of them were just chumps.
      09-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I’ve never worked in sales but I guess at times it could be a little demoralising. You could spend a lot of time and effort working on a customer, selling a car and preparing quotes etc…. for the customer just to say “no thanks” for whatever reason.

I guess some of these salesman lose a bit of interest, but there again, they wont earn a good commission is they don’t sell anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
ikonic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 328I M-Sport

Sorry to hear about your delays, must be hugely frustrating!

Hmm..... I suppose mine was kinda similar to yours.... in that I was always contacting him for information (there's every chance I was asking very often like an annoying child although I didn't think so ).

Having said that, I was very pleased with him overall down to a slight discrepancy on invoicing which I hadn't noticed. They'd have been well within their rights to keep it as it was (it was costing me more than anticipated) given I'd seen it and signed it, but they were very good to amend it back down again.

My beef is more with BMW UK themselves rather than the dealer.

A letter from BMW UK thanking you for your order would be nice - it's a little thing, but given that I've seen a few "non-premium" manufacturers manage it, surely it can't be beyond BMW??

Think I mentioned in another thread I got regular updates from Renault UK as well as the dealer when my car was in build etc. and inviting me to trackdays. Would be nice if BMW could do similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I cancelled an order with my local ish dealer today.....reason?

I placed the order with the Business manager......it took two whole days for the salesman I was talking to to even respond to his newest customer..........and that was by email. Then nothing. There were also other factors, which just left me feeling uneasy, a sign of things to come. I could just imagine the frosty reception if there was a warranty issue or anything.

So went to my nearest dealer who improved his deal and couldn't be more helpful, in fact he has been helpful all the way along.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
RJK2128
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks to everyone for the replies, seems i'm not alone with being frustrated. To be fair, I was so annoyed earlier this morning, that I went to speak to the Sales Manager at the dealer, who couldn't have been more accommodating, found out exactly where the car was, explained the process when it arrives in the UK, showed me the screen shot which he explained and apologised that I had not been kept up to date, and promised me a full tank of diesel when I get the car.
My real gripe was that the dealer couldn't be bothered to pick up the phone and call me to explain the, albeit, slight delay, nbut at least after speaking to the Sales Manager, I again feel my business is important to them.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Nice result
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Odd. My experience with my dealer is 180 degrees different from what yours is. Constant updates and reminders to do this or that. A birthday card, a Christmas card, and a small (fits in the palms of two hands) cookie/cracker/cheese basket are among the things I get from them every year. The GM sends me a letter every quarter asking how I and my car are getting on. All that along with plenty of offers to sell me something -- a new car, accessories, services, etc.

I would assume all that coddling is because I'm a decent customer and because there are at least six BMW dealerships in my area (i.e., 50 mile radius). I'm fairly certain I'm not among their highest profit customers for I always pay cash, and they are getting no "back end" from me, but I bought a fair number of cars from them: my car in '07, my cousin's in '09, my daughter's in '10, my F10 in '11 and my son's in '12. And my salesman knows my last child will turn 18 in just a few years and that my E92 is already 5+ years old.

That said, one shouldn't need to buy as many cars as I have from them in order to receive the same level of attention.

I can say I don't really have many questions about things as I get updates about what BMW is doing here on BP sooner than they get disseminated to my salesman.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
I have two dealers within 12 miles of my house. One of them is rubbish and one of them is excellent. At least that's been my pre-sales experience of them If you want 5* dealer service, buy a Porsche.
5* porsche dealers what a load of Boll*X.
Porsche dealers offer the least PX values on ANY part exchanges, and fight tooth and nail NOT to offer discounts. Thats from personal experiences of many of them.
I have found (by much travel and internet negotiation) Listers of Kings Lynn the best BMW dealership. Cooper Norwich and Sytners Coventry the other hand the Worst.
Customer services and deal offers.

Last edited by JOHNBMWM5; 09-05-2012 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #16
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

You're choosing to judge a dealship by their discount? I'm talking about customer serice, which is what I thought the thread was about
      09-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I know we are all interested in the best deal, but I've found over the years that with garages, any marque, it is people who make the garage... find a good team and build relationships with the guys at the front, sales and service department, and the 'boss' if possible.

I believe this is important as cars, like folks, are both fickle things to deal with on many occasions.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #18
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
You're choosing to judge a dealship by their discount? I'm talking about customer serice, which is what I thought the thread was about
No customer service is what I am talking about with the above.
      09-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #19
steve zzr
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535d m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Odd. My experience with my dealer is 180 degrees different from what yours is. Constant updates and reminders to do this or that. A birthday card, a Christmas card, and a small (fits in the palms of two hands) cookie/cracker/cheese basket are among the things I get from them every year. The GM sends me a letter every quarter asking how I and my car are getting on. All that along with plenty of offers to sell me something -- a new car, accessories, services, etc.

I would assume all that coddling is because I'm a decent customer and because there are at least six BMW dealerships in my area (i.e., 50 mile radius). I'm fairly certain I'm not among their highest profit customers for I always pay cash, and they are getting no "back end" from me, but I bought a fair number of cars from them: my car in '07, my cousin's in '09, my daughter's in '10, my F10 in '11 and my son's in '12. And my salesman knows my last child will turn 18 in just a few years and that my E92 is already 5+ years old.

That said, one shouldn't need to buy as many cars as I have from them in order to receive the same level of attention.

I can say I don't really have many questions about things as I get updates about what BMW is doing here on BP sooner than they get disseminated to my salesman.
thats because you live the USA, were they seem to value the customer unlike here in rip-off Britain, i ordered a 330d in June and i have had very little communication from the dealer.
even when i have chased them up, their answer was we will give you a call, which quite often they didn't bother returning.
not really what you would expect from a premium brand dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #20
shieldy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport

In my case, it was even worse! Ordered the car in early june and was promised a late june delivery or early july the latest. Didn't receive any updates at all unless I call or email them. Have been told that the car is just about to go in production on 4 separate occasions but apparently has just been produced (7th September) and now car has been pushed back to a delivery date of 14th September.
Customer service is absolute rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
If you want 5* dealer service, buy a Porsche.
That's about as accurate as saying "If you want 5* dealer service, buy a BMW". Or a Mercedes. Or probably most other brands. It all depends on the staff at your dealership.

In my experience Porsche sales people are arrogant and rude, an attitude exceeded only by the Audi dealers that I've been to. But then maybe I've just been unlucky, although I doubt it with Audi as all three dealers I visited had the same attitude.

The three BMW dealers in my area have all been more than helpful and I've certainly give any of them 5 stars. YMMV of course.

At the end of the day you're the one spending the money - if the service you get isn't up to scratch, just walk and take your money elsewhere. Works for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I agree on Audi customer attitude.....in general it sucks. Of course there are a few exceptions.
Appreciate 0