BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-08-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Smile ///Mplifier for 'The Rush': "Warp Mode"

I assume most of us activate the ///M button before fast acceleration (actually, mine is activated most of the time, almost as if it were a requirement on a pre-flight checklist).

However, for an even more intense 'kick in the butt' feeling, push the ///M button during (more particularly right in the middle of) hard acceleration. Find a stretch of empty road, 2nd gear, ///M button inactive, floor it around 2000rpm and only once around 3500/4000rpm - with overboost fully unleashing the 500Nm and your senses experiencing the acceleration rush/surge - push the ///M button for the boost bonus (DSC warning light might flash like Christmas tree lights, so I can imagine the tail of the 1M might be rather snappy if you deactivated all nannies).

It helps putting into perspective the difference between ///M stock mode (inactive) and ///M remap mode. The fun part is actually the fact that you move up the direction of the linear acceleration curve by taking it another step ahead. That's why I'd like to call it "Warp Mode": some extra push with afterburner activated (though the 1M engine does not release additional hp - it's only a remap).

If a passenger is on board too, very likely (s)he will start to laugh in disbelief (...or utter sounds as in rollercoasters ? ).

Hm, why didn't I experiment, in the past, a bit more with this 'on the fly' nitro boost in the middle of all action ?

09-08-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 ZCP

Artemis you have taken the words out of my mouth!

Finished running in my M and took her for a spin last night. I could not stop giggling. This car is Mental! I'm sorry but there is nothing in its class that will give you the same thrills I got pulled over, breathalyzed at 0.00 then the cop told me to enjoy my beast

Gonna give the on the fly nos a try later
      09-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Correct me if I am wrong, but the M button on the steering wheel only changes the throttle pedal sensitivity. So if you are full throttle and then hit the M button, you should feel no difference as it is already at the max throttle position.
      09-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but the M button on the steering wheel only changes the throttle pedal sensitivity. So if you are full throttle and then hit the M button, you should feel no difference as it is already at the max throttle position.
Correct. Ditto why dynoing with and without it activated makes no difference in terms of peak power. It basically is a Sprintbooster.

I think Artemis was referring to half (or less than full) throttle. I often switch to M mode right in those circumstances, so I get the 'on the fly nitro boost', as Arty so eloquently coined the term. In fact, when first time passengers ask me what the M button does, it is easily demonstrated and felt at mid throttle, that I usually get a three letter response: 'wow"!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Correct. Ditto why dynoing with and without it activated makes no difference in terms of peak power. It basically is a Sprintbooster.
I think Artemis was referring to half (or less than full) throttle.
+1

This is Nancy at Chase HQ. Use your nitro wisely.

09-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

...funny! I did EXACTLY that while taking a buddy for a joy ride 2 weeks ago... Was driving around getting the motor warmed up and totally forgot to engage M mode. As I got to the straight way and stomped on the gas it occured to me.... After explicts he (in denial) was thinking it was turbo lag... I then had to demonstrate hard pulls from rest/rolling starts to confirm the lack of lag. He is now looking to trade-in his E46 M3!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
i only ever activated the M-button two or three times

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution80 View Post
i only ever activated the M-button two or three times
Every morning when I pull out of the driveway I hit the M button, disable the nannies and enjoy the drive to work. Same thing on the way home. Or to the grocery store. Or pretty much anywhere. Seems to me the way to learn how to drive the car in sport mode with the nannies off is to drive it in sport mode with the nannies off.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 04:58 AM   #9
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 ZCP

Went on a breakfast run with my brother this morning and after testing on a private track I have come to the following conclusions:

Test done in South Africa, 1500feet above sea level.

From a stop: A 1M pulls slightly ahead of an F430 spyder. We only got up to about 100MPH.

Rolling Start: at about 25MPH. A F430 spyder will pull a gap on the 1M.

My god I love this car

We gonna hook up our Go pros next time we can put up a video for every one Just need to find an external point on the car that wont drown the exhaust notes out because of the wind

Last edited by Notion-Za; 09-09-2012 at 05:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #10
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
I know I am going off topic here, but don't agree.

Dynoed with M button ON..258.8 Kws ATW
M Button OFF..239.5 Kws ATW

It does make a difference..
The only problem we have found was that if your first run has button OFF, then it must remain OFF for further runs, whilst on the dyno as the ECU wont allow it to be activated..

Then take car off dyno and reset all codes and re dyno several hours later with M button on from onset.. you will see the difference..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notion-Za View Post
Went on a breakfast run with my brother this morning and after testing on a private track I have come to the following conclusions:

Test done in South Africa, 1500feet above sea level.

From a stop: A 1M pulls slightly ahead of an F430 spyder. We only got up to about 100MPH.

Rolling Start: at about 25MPH. A F430 spyder will pull a gap on the 1M.

My god I love this car

We gonna hook up our Go pros next time we can put up a video for every one Just need to find an external point on the car that wont drown the exhaust notes out because of the wind
Interesting what you experienced. I would expect exact opposite, like the F430 betters the 1M from a start stop while at a rolling start 1M could equal if not better the Ferrari up to a certain speed (my guess something less than 180 km/h). In fact, I have in gear acceleration results of many sports cars from Autocar and the 1M is among the very best, the only cars meaningfully better than the 1M were the GT-R and Ferrari Italia and the F430 berlinetta F1 had good but still slower times than the 1M. Was the spyder a manual or a F1 and is your 1M broken in or not?

Edit: In case you or anyone else was wondering what I have from the Autocar:

For BMW 1M, 30-50 mph in 3rd/4th: 2.4/3.3 sec.
for Ferrari F430 F1: 2.4/3.6 sec.

40-60 mph in 4th/5th for BMW: 3.2/3.8 sec.
for F430 F1: 3.0/4.4 sec.

50-70 mph in 5th for BMW: 4.0 sec.
for F430 F1: 3.9

I take this as BMW globally (or as avarage times) slightly better in the discipline of in gear performance (or flexibility) compared to Ferrari (just take an avarage of all numbers per car, smaller number is better). As long as published results from different date tests go for the exact same test discipline from Autocar, these are some of the cars 1M leaves behind, from better to worse: Bugatti Veyron Super Sport (yes I know!), Lexus LFA, Ferrari F430 F1, Aston Martin DBS, Audi RS3, Audi R8 V10 5.0, Porsche 911 GT3 RS 3.8, Audi R8 V8 4.0, Audi RS5, BMW M3 (E92), Lotus Evora S. Nothing like a comparison test, all collected from their full test data which was available online up untill recently before they change their format.

Nothing too serious and I know that this can not be base for any ideal comparison but still this is the same and respected magazine, same test, same principles applied so should give at least a rough idea about characteristics of cars tested, and I don't feel that this particular hierarchy is awfully wrong.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 09-09-2012 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post

The only problem we have found was that if your first run has button OFF, then it must remain OFF for further runs, whilst on the dyno as the ECU wont allow it to be activated..

Then take car off dyno and reset all codes and re dyno several hours later with M button on from onset.. you will see the difference..
This week I am having the delivery of my Evolve-Supersprint Race plus N55 mids and I am planning to do a before-after dyno at the same place which might install the exhaust. For now the car is completely stock in terms of performance mods. I am not counting the Michelin PSS when I say that it is stock. I was thinking how I should configure the car since I have no personal experience in dynos. And I think the best option is to press the M button activated (any suggestions about the MDM by the way?, am thinking about that also activated) in all rounds so I should get comparable before/after results with car performing at its maximum (and if M button makes no difference or not is beyond my research for this time).
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post

I recall you mentioning this before and reading your thread on this a while back. It was an interesting finding, and yet one that I don't think I have seen confirmation elsewhere (certainly not saying you are making this up). I've dynoed the car on 4 different occasions (as I was adding mods to get relative deltas), and not once has there been a statistically significant difference whether the M button is on or off (in fact my Akra exhaust showed more meaningful variation if the valve was closed or open, as one would expect). Ditto for many other members here.

There are quite a lot of factors that can affect performance metrics in an dyno environment. If on stock FMIC, just the difference between the 1st and 2nd/3rd run will show a drop off in warm conditions. If one turns off the M button for those runs, it may be misleading to think the drop off is due to that (rather than the engine suffering heat soak in the dyno environment and the DME dialing back timing). Again, not saying anything what you saw is unfounded, just haven't seen others witness it, in fact the overwhelming majority has been the opposite. Would be great if we actually get a tuner to comment on this. If indeed the M button simply makes the throttle response sharper, at WOT it shouldn't really matter as far as peak power. Lastly, FWIW, I have the same 'feature' on my RS 4 ("Sport" button which sharpens the throttle response), and dynoing that car well over a dozen of different ocassions has showed there is no peak power difference whether you engage it or not.

PS: we could take this off-line or perhaps discuss further in your thread you had prior just so we don't 'pollute' the topic of this thread
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
I recall you mentioning this before and reading your thread on this a while back. It was an interesting finding, and yet one that I don't think I have seen confirmation elsewhere (certainly not saying you are making this up). I've dynoed the car on 4 different occasions (as I was adding mods to get relative deltas), and not once has there been a statistically significant difference whether the M button is on or off (in fact my Akra exhaust showed more meaningful variation if the valve was closed or open, as one would expect). Ditto for many other members here.

There are quite a lot of factors that can affect performance metrics in an dyno environment. If on stock FMIC, just the difference between the 1st and 2nd/3rd run will show a drop off in warm conditions. If one turns off the M button for those runs, it may be misleading to think the drop off is due to that (rather than the engine suffering heat soak in the dyno environment and the DME dialing back timing). Again, not saying anything what you saw is unfounded, just haven't seen others witness it, in fact the overwhelming majority has been the opposite. Would be great if we actually get a tuner to comment on this. If indeed the M button simply makes the throttle response sharper, at WOT it shouldn't really matter as far as peak power. Lastly, FWIW, I have the same 'feature' on my RS 4 ("Sport" button which sharpens the throttle response), and dynoing that car well over a dozen of different ocassions has showed there is no peak power difference whether you engage it or not.

PS: we could take this off-line or perhaps discuss further in your thread you had prior just so we don't 'pollute' the topic of this thread
I remember that thread too but honestly I don't think this is way off-topic to talk it here, it is quite related to what Artemis posted in the begining.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
OK, cool then. Here is one thread me and Zuzu are referring to that raises this point:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...highlight=dyno
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

It's funny you bring up the M button. I was driving somewhere this weekend and realized I hadn't even pressed it in at least 6 months. I activated it for about 10 minutes then turned it back off again. It turns the gas petal into and on off switch. I find it somewhat unnatural and it makes the car less enjoyable to drive at the edge or just past the edge of adhesion. Sorry but no thanks for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #17
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:

Quote:
OK, cool then. Here is one thread me and Zuzu are referring to that raises this point:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...highlight=dyno
In the end the dyno results are just academic and just a measuring device for the add on mods..

Didn't mean to start up this discussion again, just reporting the facts from my dyno runs.. As one poster stated, that maybe the car oil temp wasn't at the required temp on the first run and the boost was dialed down..who knows..

The dyno operator is very qualified and has been in the auto racing/repair business for over 35 years.

Will be installing the Cobb tune this week hopefully, and will be doing back to back dyno runs once installed... " M " button OFF..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #18
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I tried this earlier today. It was fun, and I said "whoa" out loud.