F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > heater default
Studio RSR

09-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
dangerous1
England
Rep
Drives: M3 lci.bsm+opal white

heater default

can anyone tell me if the heater/aircon switches on by itself as soon as the
ignition is switched on or the engine started.I make sure that the heater is switched off by touching the small fan on the rocker switch before i lock the car,if i get back in the car within a few minutes and start up the heater is still off as it should be in my opinion.If i say leave the car locked for mabe
15 minutes or more then jump in and switch on/start up the heater comes on by itself.Doesnt seem normal to me,could anyone tell me if this is normal
or if you have got the same problem.Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

You have set the temp you want your car so that's the temp it'll try to reach when you switch the car on. Not sure that's anything other than normal. I have to say, if I had to turn on the heater or aircon every time I got in the car ... I'd sell it. That would just be stupid.
      09-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Ad above, not sure why are you turning the heater off when you leave the car (it will turn itself off )

Your key memory may be turning the Heater back on.
      09-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
dangerous1
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
You have set the temp you want your car so that's the temp it'll try to reach when you switch the car on. Not sure that's anything other than normal. I have to say, if I had to turn on the heater or aircon every time I got in the car ... I'd sell it. That would just be stupid.
What i am trying to say is: a lot of the time at this time of year, the temp is
just about right without the heater on. Like most cars nowadays the fan is
always on and I prefer it with the heater off. I think it makes more sense if the heating system stays off until I decide to put it on rather than the other way around.This is my 5th bmw.and its the first one to default this way.I
would just like for someone who already drives a f30 to tell me if theirs is the
same or whatever.Thank you MaestroAl;but with respect you cant possibly
answer my question if you are still driving a mazda.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I guess we don't understand what you mean by 'heater on'

The car has a full climate control system. If the temp is set lower than ambiant, the heater 'never' comes on. The heater auto activates if the measured ambient (inside the cabin) temperature is lower than the set temperature.

If you don't want the heater to come on (and I'm with you on this as I like to be cool when driving), then just set the controls to a low temp. and switch off A/C. Simples!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
dangerous1
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I guess we don't understand what you mean by 'heater on'

The car has a full climate control system. If the temp is set lower than ambiant, the heater 'never' comes on. The heater auto activates if the measured ambient (inside the cabin) temperature is lower than the set temperature.

If you don't want the heater to come on (and I'm with you on this as I like to be cool when driving), then just set the controls to a low temp. and switch off A/C. Simples!
OK.NISFAN;Sorry I meant climate control in general.I dont think it should activate itself unless you touch the appropriate button.My last two bmws
climate control kept itself off until you chose to activate it physically.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 03:16 AM   #7
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Then I'd say they were broken. I think I've had climate on my last dozen cars over ten years and they do what they say on the tin. They controlt he climate. They never needed turning on - that would have really annoyed me

Oh wait, sorry. I forgot my opinion doesn't count because I don't currently dirve an F30.

I'll get me coat
      09-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
dangerous1
England
Rep

Quote:
Then I'd say they were broken. I think I've had climate on my last dozen cars over ten years and they do what they say on the tin. They controlt he climate. They never needed turning on - that would have really annoyed me

Oh wait, sorry. I forgot my opinion doesn't count because I don't currently dirve an F30.

I'll get me coat
Sorry MaestrolAl; After reading my comment to you again I realize that I was rude to you, im sorry.I just thought that anyone driving one daily may
have experience the same thing.
I see that you have a 330d on order,im sure you will love it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Runnin and Gunnin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i X Drive M-Sport

I have the same thing and it drives me NUTS!!! I get in my car when its say, 20 degrees F...I don't want the heater to automatically turn on when I start my car, guess what...the air coming out of the vents is about say, 20 degrees F! Stay off until I turn you on when you warm up...Has anyone found a way to stop the heater from turning on EVERY SINGLE TIME I start my car?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous1 View Post
just about right without the heater on.
You must be a medical phenomenon to feel this way.
      12-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
can anyone tell me if the heater/aircon switches on by itself as soon as the
ignition is switched on or the engine started.I make sure that the heater is switched off by touching the small fan on the rocker switch before i lock the car,if i get back in the car within a few minutes and start up the heater is still off as it should be in my opinion.If i say leave the car locked for mabe
15 minutes or more then jump in and switch on/start up the heater comes on by itself.Doesnt seem normal to me,could anyone tell me if this is normal
or if you have got the same problem.Thanks in advance.
Appears normal to me, it the car systems don't all switch down (go to sleep) the CC may stay off as you say. But once the car sleeps (about 15 mins) the next unlock and start up it will default to the CC being on.

Sounds as if it needs programming at the dealer, ('active', 'not active' options) if it can be done on the F30, like some previous generation cars.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

Quote:
just about right without the heater on. Like most cars nowadays the fan is
always on and I prefer it with the heater off. I think it makes more sense if the heating system stays off until I decide to put it on rather than the other way around.This is my 5th bmw.and its the first one to default this way.I
would just like for someone who already drives a f30 to tell me if theirs is the
same or whatever.Thank you MaestroAl;but with respect you cant possibly
answer my question if you are still driving a mazda.
Haha....you just got told MaestroAl!!

Nothing like a friendly poster!

Never write anything down that you wouldn't be proud to see written in the sky for all to see.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Seconded.
      12-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I suppose it isn't the issue of how we want our car temperature, but can the CC be set to stay off as the default setting? Normally it would be set to come on each unlock and start, even if we do switch it off at the panel. Hence my comment above about dealer setting options.

Personally I can't see how anyone can use a car with the CC completely off. Temperature will be all over the place and what about air and controlling humidity? I know for myself in my environment, if the CC wasn't in use, I'd be sitting in a cold and misting car most of the time.

Mine never normally gets touched, it is set to temperature and it does its job. Settings stay in the key memory, so a non event.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:58 AM   #15
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I quite like it that the heater defaults to trying to attain the selected temperature when you start up, but the F30 is the first car I've owned that does this. As to the lack of this feature being a reason to sell the car, or not buy it in the first place - hmmm, not sure I'd go that far, there's too many other reasons why I prefer the new 3 to the competition

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0