E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Stock Suspenson at Track

07-26-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Stock Suspenson at Track

Any feedback on how the stock springs and shock perform at the track without the run flat tires? Anyone run the stock suspension and then upgrade to other setups care to comment on lap time reductions if any? I jumped quickly on upgrading before testing out the stock setup. Comments appreciated. I noticed with the stock suspension on the street driven agressively, there was a lot of body lean, although this is not a bad thing. Seemed like the stock shocks needed more valving, but you would be amazed at what some stock suspensions can do at track events. The Elise is wildly fun at the track and rolls like a baker's pin! With perfect tire wear I might ad.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 12:49 AM   #2
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The stock suspension is tuned soft for the HARD runflats. The combo of the two is pretty decent, IMO. It understeers like a mofo, but you dial a lot of that out by manipulating tire pressures. I know the car is still a lot faster than I am, so I am not going coilovers just yet.

Stock suspension with SOFT non-runflats should be ummm, interesting. Let me know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 06:12 AM   #3
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

I think its a little soft, but not bad w/ non rfts. You will experience some body roll in hard cornering (but no floating sensations) as you exit. Overall its predictable. You will need to be patient and set the car up properly for turns, and it will do its job. As leftcoastman said, you need to dial out the understeer. All in all its a great compromise (comfort and performance) appealing to a large demographic IMO. However, if you really push your car (track a lot) you may want something a little more aggressive...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

how about this....would camber plates alone help? I'm thinking at the minimum, you'd save some money on front tires. Would the increased contact patch under cornering load dial out understeer?

My front outers are beginning to look like slicks.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
I just autoX my 330i (ZSP) a few weeks ago.

My instuctor got it through in 55 and some change. He hit two cones....safe to say the car can run in the mid 50s perhaps lower.

Tire pressure was turned up to 44 up front & 42 in the rear.

some of the cars E36 M3s specially set up were turning in times in the low 50s....51-53 seconds on the same course.

the car is essentialy bone stock suspension with a K&N cold air intake and a step transmission.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

you'll be fine with stock suspension

unless you've got a lot of experience under your belt even a non sport pack car will be more capable than you as a driver for at least a few trackdays

once you're getting close to the limits of the car then it's time to upgrade
it's better to learn on stock suspension because the mistakes that we all will make while learning happen at lower speeds.

The driver's skill you learn is transferrable to every car you drive, while suspension mods do not transfer.

I good driver in a stock car beats a mediocre driver in a modded car every time
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
sblument
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I just got a new set of rims/tires for the track, and will put in a harness when the quick fit comes out, but other than that it's stock at least for the next few years or until stock parts wear out.