Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > MORR162's VS. **********S CSL reps (quality)

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Bart@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: F95X5M | E46M3 | E92M3 | E60M5

MORR162's VS. **********S CSL reps (quality)

Hi all,

I'm in between these 2 great looking wheels for my e90 that will be delivered in a few weeks. I've read a lot about the durability of the MOD CSL reps - nothing but great things said about their toughness. And living in NJ, having quite a few pot holes isn't too cool and going to 19s will definitely make me drive a bit more cautious but some holes are un-avoidable none-the-less.

So this post is really intended for information on the MORR162 19's. Not too many people on here have them and I want to see if I can get some feedback on their quality. Please post up if you have them or know friends that have them. I'm on a budget so I can't be fixing bent and cracked wheels often and with the MOD CSL reps (from what I've read) I would be riding with some confidence. I'm about 50/50 right now on my decision but need to see if the MORR162's compare..

Thanks in advance..

Some pics for clicks

[img]https://st15.flashecom.com/**********/images/Products/VelocityMotoring/E90CSL4.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
crimsone90
Banned
Rep
Drives: MR E92 M3

About the MORR 162 the only thing I can tell you is that I've been through hell and back and this wheels are still rock solid. No vibration at high speeds, no balancing issues, no bent or cracks, no chirping of paint, nothing. The only thing I've heard about **********s CSL is that a few people have had severe balancing issues with them but I believe **********s took care of them. Other than that there are alot of people running the CSLs with no problem.

If it was for me I`ll go with the style that I like the most since both companies are excellent in quality. :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
Bart@AUTOcouture
Rep

Great to hear that they are rock solid - have you hit lots of potholes? WHere do you live? Post up some pics!

Anyone else have good things to say?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

I've had the Morr 162 for about 4 Months. They balanced perfectly and are solid at any speed. The off-sets are the best I've seen of any wheel on the e90.
I once parked next to an e90 with the oem 162's, they looked so sad in comparison to the Morr 162's.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Seeing how you are getting an xi, you may or may not have issues running these wheels... make sure you are getting the correct tires to have the correct rolling diameter.
      07-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #6
Bart@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGxi View Post
Seeing how you are getting an xi, you may or may not have issues running these wheels... make sure you are getting the correct tires to have the correct rolling diameter.
Hmm, weird that you bring that up since I remember hearing that you shouldn't run staggered wheels on AWD cars.. friend of mine had an A4 quattro and he would always get a hard time from the dealer when he brought in the car for service since he had staggered wheels.

The difference with this case is that when you upgrade to a sport package with the 328xi.. you get staggered wheels, so I thought it was OK.. ?

quoted from bmwusa - "Double Spoke (Styling 161) light-alloy wheels, 17 x 8.0 front, 17x 8.5 rear; 225/45R-17 front, 255/40R-17 rear performance* run-flat* performance tires"

Someone please chime in on this..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 12:22 AM   #7
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBmaNN View Post
Hmm, weird that you bring that up since I remember hearing that you shouldn't run staggered wheels on AWD cars.. friend of mine had an A4 quattro and he would always get a hard time from the dealer when he brought in the car for service since he had staggered wheels.
I suspect it's partly the design of the differential...guys correct me if I'm wrong...but...

The A4 quattro has a Torsen differential whereas BMW X-drive uses clutch pack coupling (similar to a Haldex type design...I'll just refer to it as Haldex). By design Torsen tends to equal full time all wheel drive, whereas Haldex is primarily two wheel drive with added power sent to the other wheels by engaging a clutch controlled by computers when slippage is sensed.

This would make sense why staggered setup on a X-drive BMW is ok but not so good on a Torsen equipped Audi.

This is slightly off topic but the Haldex design is generally regarded as inferior to Torsen design in Audi circles. However I don't think this logic applies to the BMW X-drive sytem which is similar to Haldex.

Haldex certainly appears only in the Audi A3 and TT whereas the Torsen design is employed in all other quattro designs. But keep in mind the quattro versions of the A3 and TT are basically front wheel drive cars that have been "converted" by design to an all wheel drive setup. In that case usage of a Haldex design may not be optimal for performance reasons. But in the BMW E90/91/92, it is primarily a rear wheel drive car that has been "converted" to an all drive setup.

Anyway...rambling cut short...I think you are fine running staggered on BMW...or any other rear wheel drive based vehicles with a Haldex type differential (I'm thinking the G35x, Porsche 911 AWD versions, Lamborghini AWD versions all run similar setups and likely run staggered from factory without any problems). But I don't think staggered setup is optimal for the Torsen equipped Audi's or front wheel drive biased Haldex Audis.

EDIT: G35x do not run staggered from the factory...but they probably could without any ill effect. The Porsche 911 AWD versions run staggered as do the Lamborghini's
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #8
Bart@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
I suspect it's partly the design of the differential...guys correct me if I'm wrong...but...

The A4 quattro has a Torsen differential whereas BMW X-drive uses clutch pack coupling (similar to a Haldex type design...I'll just refer to it as Haldex). By design Torsen tends to equal full time all wheel drive, whereas Haldex is primarily two wheel drive with added power sent to the other wheels by engaging a clutch controlled by computers when slippage is sensed.

This would make sense why staggered setup on a X-drive BMW is ok but not so good on a Torsen equipped Audi.

This is slightly off topic but the Haldex design is generally regarded as inferior to Torsen design in Audi circles. However I don't think this logic applies to the BMW X-drive sytem which is similar to Haldex.

Haldex certainly appears only in the Audi A3 and TT whereas the Torsen design is employed in all other quattro designs. But keep in mind the quattro versions of the A3 and TT are basically front wheel drive cars that have been "converted" by design to an all wheel drive setup. In that case usage of a Haldex design may not be optimal for performance reasons. But in the BMW E90/91/92, it is primarily a rear wheel drive car that has been "converted" to an all drive setup.

Anyway...rambling cut short...I think you are fine running staggered on BMW...or any other rear wheel drive based vehicles with a Haldex type differential (I'm thinking the G35x, Porsche 911 AWD versions, Lamborghini AWD versions all run similar setups and likely run staggered from factory without any problems). But I don't think staggered setup is optimal for the Torsen equipped Audi's or front wheel drive biased Haldex Audis.

EDIT: G35x do not run staggered from the factory...but they probably could without any ill effect. The Porsche 911 AWD versions run staggered as do the Lamborghini's
You just made my day!! 275/30 rears here I come!! :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 01:36 AM   #9
preacher
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07' 328i vert

I am torn between the 2 rims as well..
not to highjack..

Will the Morr's fit on an 07 328i (not staggered)? What model car do they come on? I really like the color options that come in the CSL's, but these wheels look classy..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 02:58 AM   #10
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

MORR 162s all the way!!!!!!
      08-10-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
Bart@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacher View Post
I am torn between the 2 rims as well..
not to highjack..

Will the Morr's fit on an 07 328i (not staggered)? What model car do they come on? I really like the color options that come in the CSL's, but these wheels look classy..
Yes, they will fit.

I decided to go with the CSL's.. already got them.. and the car is not even in the states yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #12
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

I'm not at all crazy about the STYLE of those Morr Wheels. Now the Morr VS7 wheels are HOT! Look very similar to the CSLs. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76190
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #13
Wosby
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 20 G05 40i - Searching

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBmaNN View Post
Yes, they will fit.

I decided to go with the CSL's.. already got them.. and the car is not even in the states yet.
Same here. I did European Delivery and the car has still not been redelivered to me yet, but I've already got my CSL's sitting in my garage patiently waiting to be installed.
91 E30 325iX - Stolen
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #14
psu139
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

do you have a website for the morr162's
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #15
Bart@AUTOcouture
Rep