BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Waited 11 Months for a Golf R, and...........

Bought a 1M.

Hi all, new here, got my random 3 posts in there so now I can intro myself.

Just recently picked up a new AW 1M after a rather strange 3 week wait. Didn't really plan on it, just kind of fell into place.

I've actually wanted an M3 for ages, drove multiple E46s and was never quite happy, drove multiple E92s and was never quite satisfied. Tried to convince myself, but alas, it was as it was. And I'm very particular about the feel and the drive. I'm coming from a MkV GTI which in iteself is superb, albeit on a very different level to the 1M.

I have a long history with performance cars and currently ride a K8 GSXR750 which is only really used on the track, and a worked Series 3 R33 GTR which was also bought for the track, although I take it to the hills once in a while for a giggle.

When an opportunity came about to drive a 1M, I said no as I had waited 10 months already for the Golf R, which was apparently near to arriving now.... right. And I expected it to be like the E92 M3 and I'd decided against that as much as I tried to love it on many occassions.

Anyway, I ended up taking one for a drive just for kicks, and what I felt blew me away. It felt as much like an M3 as wooly socks feel like lycra tights. To me at least, it felt completely different. It felt light, agile and super responsive. The shifts were not reluctant and nothcy, the car turned with vigour, and the thing pulled effortlessy from any gear. I could not believe it, and honestly, within 10 mins, I was thinking of getting my deposit back from VW, truly.

I recall driving a genuine late model E46 with very low kms and wondering why it was clunky and noisy. The salesman repeatedly told me that they are like this as they have to handle alot of power. I drove a few more and they were the same. I kept thinking, my GTR has 480hp and doesn't do all this. Didn't want it.

But this 1M.... what can I say. Sensational, punchy, nimble, and does it without the fuss, without the drawbacks and compromises. Sounds strange, but it feels a lot like my GTR but it's refined, comfortable and modern.

So I took this thing out on the weekend with the wife, she's great, she's used to fast mountain passes and rarely comments. She's been in the GTR and though she admits that it's quite frighteningly fast, she doesn't like it. Too noisy, too bumpy, too much of an event.

So I'm getting comfortable with how this new car corners and its balance, and it's tremendously balanced, so I start pushing a little. I know the roads, and she's been around them quickly in the GTR, remember that thing's setup for the track, I'm truly amazed by how this little car turns in solidly and remains balanced. I was careful to be smooth as I'm not familiar with it, but I was motoring. And for the first time, a voice from the passenger seat. "this seems fast, are you going really fast?", "I'm feeling it out a little yes" I reply.

Then... then....she says, "This thing is amazing! it does it so easily! I love it! maybe slow down a bit now" haha... I was gobsmacked, she can sit there relaxed with no real emotion when I've been more focused on my driving than a child playing the last few blocks in Jenga, in a game that will result in the winner obtaining a new bicycle, but this little drive has induced comment.

I couldn't help but keep repeating, "this thing is just amazing me now, how did they do it?" I kept punting hardish, and it just blew me away with the way it would squat down on the outside edge and hold its line. Mid corner grip is immense, and bumps mid corner didn't upset it nor did they feel like pushing the limits of its travel either.

I kept thinking here is the car I've been waiting for, this is what I've wanted, this is what I kept thinking the M3 was going to be whenever I drove them, but weren't.

I could go on for ages, this thing is sensational, but here are a few pics of the new little angry man. And one at the end of the ol' girl as well.

Look forward to meeting some of you Aussies at some meets and sharing some interesting ideas and info.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
chrisN
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw 125i coupe

Garage List
2010 125i  [8.66]
fun story to read. congratulations
      09-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Welcome to being a true 1Addict now!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Congratulations and that is such a nice way to start in the Forum, great write-up! Echoes most of 1M owners' sentiments about this car and the good thing is for people who has it since 1 year or more it still remains amazing

Once you are done with the stock tires give it a proper upgrade that BMW should at the first place, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and maybe a more fitting exhaust (at least a better mid pipe) and that's basically all it lacks to feel absolutely perfect anytime anywhere.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Very cool story, worked out well for you, Golf R is a great car but the thrill factor stays with the 1M
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Welcome to ///M Land !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
So I took this thing out on the weekend with the wife, she's great, she's used to fast mountain passes and rarely comments. [...] And for the first time, a voice from the passenger seat: "This seems fast, are you going really fast?", "I'm feeling it out a little yes" I reply. Then... then....she says: "This thing is amazing! it does it so easily! I love it! maybe slow down a bit now" haha... I was gobsmacked, she can sit there relaxed with no real emotion when I've been more focused on my driving than a child playing the last few blocks in Jenga, in a game that will result in the winner obtaining a new bicycle, but this little drive has induced comment."
Uh-oh, seems that you're at risk that this might become her daily driver in the near future.

As soon as I push my 1M in a 'spirited' way I get conflicting pieces of advice: from the passenger seat a voice says with a concerned tone "Easy, easy, easy", while from the childseat emerges a manic voice saying "Faster !" or "Again, Daddy !"...
      09-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

Great write up, really funny and I just couldn't agree more with what you just said, I have my 1M for 2 weeks now and tried it in some of my favourite roads, I already drove all type o sports cars, from BMWs (M5/M6) to porsches, ferraris, astons, race cars etc and I just kept saying out loud to myself 'how did they do this???? It's amazing', it handles and brakes so well and the engine just pull the car like a rocket from corner to corner, doesn't feel 340hp to me, I used to have a M6 too and this car is so much fun and so much faster in a backroad, I'm very very impressed and I pretend to keep it forever.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
Love the colour! Congrats on the car!

Everyone is raving about the 1m! love it haha

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Nice story, but I don't agree with the mid corner grip as this is one of the 1M's most notable weaknesses.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
2011 1M | Valencia Orange | #655 of 740
BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance Shadowline Grills | Gloss black iND side markers
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Nice write-up, congrats and welcome!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Nice story, but I don't agree with the mid corner grip as this is one of the 1M's most notable weaknesses.
Fair enough mate, I'm no professional car journalist nor reviewer so I've not had the fortune to have driven all the latest top end sports cars back to back in order to make a critial comparison like that.

I guess it depends on what you compare it with, but from where I was sitting, mid corner grip was stupendous!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #13
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

And thanks for the nice welcomes, you are a friendly lot...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #14
DEFYET
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 1M

Congrats on the new purchase!

I picked mine up 4 weeks ago and I still cant get enough of it!

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Congrats and nice story.

Leif W.

P.S. Nice color choice on the 1M :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Enjoyed the write up. I had a similar experience (including a vote from my SO) that I documented here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635457

Also, that's a lovely GTR.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Fair enough mate, I'm no professional car journalist nor reviewer so I've not had the fortune to have driven all the latest top end sports cars back to back in order to make a critial comparison like that.

I guess it depends on what you compare it with, but from where I was sitting, mid corner grip was stupendous!
I agree.. I think the mid corner grip is pheonomenal.... however.. once one has EXCEEDED that level of grip.. (with traction control off) well.. then one had better be....

1) an above average driver with quick hands
2) well insured
3) all of the above
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #18
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:

I don't know--he may just be quoting Randy Pobst from the infamous Motor Trend test. Let's hear what Mdorphin and Advevo think--they've driven it in as much anger as anyone that I have heard of (admittedly with some mods.)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:

I don't know--he may just be quoting Randy Pobst from the infamous Motor Trend test. Let's hear what Mdorphin and Advevo think--they've driven it in as much anger as anyone that I have heard of (admittedly with some mods.)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #20
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
Obviously, you've never driven your 1M at its limits. Talking from personal experience and it's well documented. I don't have to live vicariously through other members, with exception to Powerbeast.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #21
avsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_Prime View Post
haha nice!

I think white has become my favorite color in this car