BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Midwest / Rockies

10-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Dereleek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

M3 owners in winter

First snow in Denver this week. Issue is that I don't currently have a second vehicle. What do each of you do during winter months when it snows? What kind of vehicle do you drive? There is no doubt that I will have to buy a truck or SUV, but I'm not sure if I can drive around in a "winter beater" after driving my M3 and getting spoiled the rest of the year.
      10-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

search on here almost everyone seems to run a winter setup and drives completely fine in bad conditions. I am getting car end of november and will be running a winter setup
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Parkanzky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 SGM M3

It's a personal preference.

I could drive my M3 all winter and I think it would be plenty capable and loads of fun, but I personally don't want to subject it to the salt, hidden potholes, etc. that are inevitable with winter driving.

I have a 2010 TDI Golf that I'll be driving this winter. It's a great car, very comfortable (supportive heated seats, satellite radio, etc), easy to maintain and has returned a 43 MPG lifetime average.

I've had it for a few years now, so I'm thinking about selling it in the spring to get something different for next winter. If I do, I'll get a Subaru Forester with a manual transmission or some sort of full size SUV (Maybe a Touareg). The idea is to get something that contrasts my two summer cars. I'd love an STI/Evo, but they're a bit too expensive for me to use as a 'winter beater.'
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
What is this winter thing you speak of here?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
maesd74
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 sedan comp package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereleek
First snow in Denver this week. Issue is that I don't currently have a second vehicle. What do each of you do during winter months when it snows? What kind of vehicle do you drive? There is no doubt that I will have to buy a truck or SUV, but I'm not sure if I can drive around in a "winter beater" after driving my M3 and getting spoiled the rest of the year.
I have a Tahoe, so I'm set for for the winter. But, I also put blizzaks on the ///M for those occasional days I feel like driving...lite snow only (few inches) otherwise you'll be a snow plow.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

+1 blizzaks. as long as its under a few inches and you are not plowing snow with the front bumper, its amazing how well it goes in the snow... but really even without snow, < 32F with summer tires is dangerous in dry weather. I'll probably switch mine over around the last week in october or first week in november
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

I dont run a separate winter setup.. I wish I could justify it but I just cant since I have a 4wd Dodge Dakota truck also at my disposal... It does make for an interesting time though when getting caught out in a freak snow storm.
      10-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robackja View Post
+1 blizzaks. as long as its under a few inches and you are not plowing snow with the front bumper, its amazing how well it goes in the snow... but really even without snow, < 32F with summer tires is dangerous in dry weather.
+1 I have separate wheels & blizzaks that have gotten me through 3 winters. This car IS very capable in inclement weather - I remember passing a lineup of 5 cars stuck at an uphill stop sign two winters ago. All of them were AWD. As for how it plows...

My boss just knows I'll be working from home if we're getting more than a few inches

I had a little reminder this morning how unsuited summer tires are in the cold. Pulled out well ahead of oncoming traffic and gave a little extra gas. Where the car would have normally hooked up, the tail end stepped out on me a good 4 feet or so. Caught it & laughed... The bonus was that no one tailgated me on the way over to I25.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Like the others said, the M3 is pretty awesome in snow, as long as there's clearance. I love Dunlop Wintersports. They're not quite what Blizzaks are in powder, but this isn't a powder car, and the dunlops win in slush, rain, snowpack and dry.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
SAINT VAN ROCK
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012, E92 DCT M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
+1 I have separate wheels & blizzaks that have gotten me through 3 winters. This car IS very capable in inclement weather - I remember passing a lineup of 5 cars stuck at an uphill stop sign two winters ago. All of them were AWD. As for how it plows...

My boss just knows I'll be working from home if we're getting more than a few inches

I had a little reminder this morning how unsuited summer tires are in the cold. Pulled out well ahead of oncoming traffic and gave a little extra gas. Where the car would have normally hooked up, the tail end stepped out on me a good 4 feet or so. Caught it & laughed... The bonus was that no one tailgated me on the way over to I25.
Just curious as to when I come up that way....I noticed no front plate on your M. Do you have any issues in the Denver area because with that in terms of tickets? I just cannot bring myself to put a plate on the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINT VAN ROCK
Just curious as to when I come up that way....I noticed no front plate on your M. Do you have any issues in the Denver area because with that in terms of tickets? I just cannot bring myself to put a plate on the front of the car.
Me either I had 3 no front plate tickets in the first year I had the car. Now I just refuse to park it on the street. Garages have (so far) remained unmonitored and I've been ticket-free.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I haven't ever put the front plate on my '08 M3... No tickets, but I also do not park it on the street downtown. I have been pulled over by state troopers for that though.

As for winter... I drive mine all year long. Winter tire setup. Even had a project up in Breckenridge and regularly drove it there.

For really bad days, I do have an old 4x4 though. No top, but the heater works quite nice. It will go through a couple feet of snow without issue. That beast only comes out when we get over 6"... other than that, it's the M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #13
M3 JP
2nd place is just the first loser!
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW M3 E90 AW DCT

Hey bro, I'm from Colorado Springs, lived there since I was 7. My recommendation, get an SUV or something 4x4. I've watched the front end of my family cars get mauled by exposure to salt/sand over the years, as well as windshields. The windshield repair shops thrive on winters...they get TONS of business from unexpected chips. Remember, just because the roads are dry and snow free, doesn't mean the road is clean. If the street cleaners haven't come through yet, expect rocks/salt to be flung up on the car....a big enough rock at 80+ will ruin the day.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

98% of the time, it's my M3 with winter tires. Now when we get 5"+ stuck on the road, I swap over to my ancient '80 Scout II (without a top mind you). For the most part, as long as you are in the metro area, the roads are clear fairly rapidly.

Keep in mind I've grown up here... I drove my old '90 300zx Twin-turbo on summer tires for six years laughing at the SUV crowd who believe you "need" 4wd. So the M3 with traction control and winter tires is 'dreamy' in the snow. Not as good as my Saab or wife's MDX, but easily dealt with. Even during the winter, I was driving the M3 over Loveland Pass / Soda Lake to get to Breckenridge for a project. Ditto with a Aspen job. Just learn to drive to the conditions instead of relying on tech.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #15
SAINT VAN ROCK
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012, E92 DCT M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 JP View Post
Hey bro, I'm from Colorado Springs, lived there since I was 7. My recommendation, get an SUV or something 4x4. I've watched the front end of my family cars get mauled by exposure to salt/sand over the years, as well as windshields. The windshield repair shops thrive on winters...they get TONS of business from unexpected chips. Remember, just because the roads are dry and snow free, doesn't mean the road is clean. If the street cleaners haven't come through yet, expect rocks/salt to be flung up on the car....a big enough rock at 80+ will ruin the day.
JP....luckily I have a couple of expendable Ford Expeditions for the winter. So far the weather here in CoS has been amazing. I am getting a lot of time in the M3 this season! Funny thing is that I see no less than 2 M3's a day when I am driving my hooptie and 0 when I am out in the M, lol!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #16
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
I have a winter setup for the M, but I think that since last winter I was gone, and this year I have a Lincoln suv, El Superbeasto will be garaged.
German winters are brutal, and the salt/rocks/ice are more than I want to subject the car to. I am super paranoid as it is now, and while Ill miss the car like mad, itll be tucked away safe and Ill have to scrape ice every morning... sigh...
      11-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #17
M3 JP
2nd place is just the first loser!
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW M3 E90 AW DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINT VAN ROCK View Post
JP....luckily I have a couple of expendable Ford Expeditions for the winter. So far the weather here in CoS has been amazing. I am getting a lot of time in the M3 this season! Funny thing is that I see no less than 2 M3's a day when I am driving my hooptie and 0 when I am out in the M, lol!
Bro, I am so ready to be in COS so we can tear up the place ///M Flight style!! Yeah, got some pics from my sister the other day, she's in short sleeves and my dad is still rocking polo's....and here in Germany it's raining, 40 degrees, and cloudy.......so done with Europe!!! And no worries, we'll make sure everyone starts to figure out who we "M Flight" are!! I'm working with Hans, trying to figure out how to make a door magnet I can put a big ass flight logo on....we need to get the word out brother!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #18
949Banker
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 JB M3 Vert | E92 AW 335Xi

When it's not snowing and when the salt isn't that bad on the roads, I still have the M3 as my daily. But even when my winter setup sucks, I pull out the 4.8i E70 X5...it may not be as nimble as the M, but it surely does the job!

03 Jet Black E46 M3 Vert || 08 Alpine White E92 335xi
MFest || TheSHOP || STM || Southbay Autohaus || EAS
AG Forged || StilundMacht || BavX || Hardware Motorsport || Team Leche
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
I didn't think I could stand to not drive my ///M year 'round, so I bought a set of winter wheels and tires. Blizzak LM-60's on 19" ZCP replicas - below. She also got her first annual rustproofing (no holes).

But this the first car where I don't have the heart to drive her in poor conditions, especially if there's salt on the road. I must still be in my OCD/ honeymoon period, but I just love my car so much. My parking at work is also heated. A no-no for rust.

So I'll be on a mission next year for a fun beater.

(Yes, fun and beater do not usually go together. That's why I'm calling it a mission... )

If they didn't use salt around here though, I'd continue driving it. dnvrdrvr's picture is win.
Attached Images