BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

M3 to 1m - how many of you are there? Regrets?

Hey everyone,

I apologize as I am certain this topic was touched on over the last year, however, I am on my phone due to the Internet being out and have no search tool.

Have any of u 1m owners been previous e9x m3 owners? If so, do u miss your m3? Do you love your 1m? Anything I need to be aware of should I decide to switch up to the 1m from my e90 m3?

I have an option to pick ups Valencia orange 1m for relatively cheap and was about to test drive it but was looking for any open, honest feedback from owners in similar positions.

Any info is appreciated (even those telling me to use the search tool as this is essentially a free bump! )
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Opinions don't matter in my opinion. Drive it for yourself. the car speaks for itself. I chose the 1M over the E90 M3. It was not an easy decision but the bottom line is you the 1M is more fun around town, very, very, very rare and you can always get an M3. There are a ton of M3s out there and very few 1Ms. the proof is in the drive! Go drive it!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob
Opinions don't matter in my opinion. Drive it for yourself. the car speaks for itself. I chose the 1M over the E90 M3. It was not an easy decision but the bottom line is you the 1M is more fun around town, very, very, very rare and you can always get an M3. There are a ton of M3s out there and very few 1Ms. the proof is in the drive! Go drive it!!!!!
About to do the drive
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

I too choose the 1M over the e92 M3. The 1M is ~350lbs lighter with 100 pound feet more torque available from just over idle, offers a much more involving driving experience and is ultra rare.

For me it was a very simple choice.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibxna View Post
About to do the drive
Let us know your thoughts since you have M3!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari

Easy. In 2008, I sold my E46 M3 to my dad to buy an E92 M3. Honestly never fell in love with the E92. Read about the 1M and immediately knew this is the car I was looking for. Got on the list and bought it in 11/11 (new). Sold the E92 and bought back the E46. Now I have the 1M and E46. I don't miss the E92 AT ALL! The E92 was a scalpel while the 1M is a sledge hammer. The E92 just wasn't FUN! I now have perfection.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbreese View Post
Easy. In 2008, I sold my E46 M3 to my dad to buy an E92 M3. Honestly never fell in love with the E92. Read about the 1M and immediately knew this is the car I was looking for. Got on the list and bought it in 11/11 (new). Sold the E92 and bought back the E46. Now I have the 1M and E46. I don't miss the E92 AT ALL! The E92 was a scalpel while the 1M is a sledge hammer. The E92 just wasn't FUN! I now have perfection.

Dan
The only things that tempt me about the M3 are the engine and its sound, and maybe throttle response. Do you miss those at all out of curiosity?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari

I know others will disagree but the E92 engine is "too" perfect that it is boring and too linear. It ain't fun. My reference point is my 3rd car, a 1967 Ferrari 330 GT. the E92 doesn't sound anywhere near as good and I think the 1M sounds as good as the E92. Throttle response is about equal as far as I can tell ( neither as good as a Ferrari). Again I don't miss the E92 at all but I LOVE the 1M
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #9
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbreese View Post
I know others will disagree but the E92 engine is "too" perfect that it is boring and too linear. It ain't fun. My reference point is my 3rd car, a 1967 Ferrari 330 GT. the E92 doesn't sound anywhere near as good and I think the 1M sounds as good as the E92. Throttle response is about equal as far as I can tell ( neither as good as a Ferrari). Again I don't miss the E92 at all but I LOVE the 1M
The S65 is one if not the best sounding engine BMW has ever made. The N54 doesn't come close. The N54 sound is produced from the exhaust whereas the S65 is from under the hood.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
The S65 is one if not the best sounding engine BMW has ever made. The N54 doesn't come close. The N54 sound is produced from the exhaust whereas the S65 is from under the hood.
+1 on that. I think if there is one thing we should not even imagine to argue is the sound characteristic of the S65 and the V10 that it was derived from, they both have a very natural and addictive engine sound. Even a 1M with a full whatever brand exhaust (Akra, Meisterscahft etc. etc.) including down pipes will not and can not sound as good as those engines.

Throttle response is the same. A whole different level better.

That's about it though. Ask yourself if these two are indispensable for you and you will have yourself answered.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

By the time I got up to speed and started to have any real fun in an E92 M3 I had to start to slow down. Car is great but you need to get the revs up and the V8 comes to life. Lack of low end torque is something I did not fully grasp/know I wanted so badly until I took delivery of my car and realized how much fun you can have with a properly set up turbo car.

1M is fun from 0 all the way up. If its any consolation have someone sit in the passenger seat of a 1M and and M3 and see which car excites/scares them more under acceleration
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

The M3 has plenty of torque - you just have to be in the right gear , while the 1M does not need to be in the right gear for good acceleration.

The short wheel base of the 1M allows for quicker rotation, while the longer wheel base and aero of the M3 allows for increased straight line and lateral stability.

Driver skill makes more of a performance difference than the difference between the 1M and M3, so pick what you want and love most, and that will be the right car for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDD View Post
By the time I got up to speed and started to have any real fun in an E92 M3 I had to start to slow down. Car is great but you need to get the revs up and the V8 comes to life. Lack of low end torque is something I did not fully grasp/know I wanted so badly until I took delivery of my car and realized how much fun you can have with a properly set up turbo car.

1M is fun from 0 all the way up. If its any consolation have someone sit in the passenger seat of a 1M and and M3 and see which car excites/scares them more under acceleration
I have to agree with this. The M3 is like listening to the London Philarmonic Orchestra live...you have all these super musicians and they all have to tune and warm up and practice and re-tune. Then finally at showtime, you get something glorious. But you have to go through a lot to get that glorious experience. The 1M is like listening to the same tune on your Bose sound system. You hit the track number and you have almost the same enjoyment immediately. If you don't believe me, listen to an M3 at startup, it sounds like a diesel with emphysema. Every morning, you have to wait for it to warm, cough and wheeze. Then finally when it warms up you have to have a stretch of road you can rev it up to hear the orchestra.

On the other hand starting up the 1M is an event! The 1M at start-up will crush the M3! Of course you only get it for 30 seconds, but I love starting it every single morning. Starting up the 1M reminds me of the recent fireworks mistake here in San Diego where they accidentally released 20 minutes of fireworks in one minute. I only live 10 minutes from work and go on surface streets. The 1M is glorious to start up every morning and just driving down 40MPH streets is a joy. Just feeling the kick in the butt at every light just rolling out of it without breaking any laws or pissing anyone off. Now if I lived in Germany and would have to take an empty autobahn to work and had a 30 minute drive the M3 would be better but for me, the 1M is way more fun every single morning.

So while the M3 has a better sound when fully warmed up and in high revs for us here in the US, the 1M is way more satisfying for me. Yes, I have eaten high class steak from cows that were hand-fed caviar by Tibetan monks and yes it was very good, but I love my Saturday night USDA prime sirloin just as much. And I don't care if the great taste comes from adding a little A1 Steak Sauce. I hope this makes sense to all of you.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

nachob, Makes perfect sense to me as well. I wish I could have been there for the fireworks mishap.

Driving the 1M gives me perma smile every time I drive it.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles

Last edited by Redadair; 10-07-2012 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
On the other hand starting up the 1M is an event! The 1M at start-up will crush the M3! Of course you only get it for 30 seconds, but I love starting it every single morning. Starting up the 1M reminds me of the recent fireworks mistake here in San Diego where they accidentally released 20 minutes of fireworks in one minute.
For those who have not heard yet the 1M cold start-up rumble sequence (varying rpm to quickly warm up the cats to operating temp) (would be kinda cool if the rumble could be coded as a standard idling feature, instead of during the first cold start minute only):

After that start-up sequence:
  • if airco is not operational: idling around 600-650rpm;
  • if airco is operational: idling around 650-700rpm.
      10-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
... Yes, I have eaten high class steak from cows that were hand-fed caviar by Tibetan monks and yes it was very good, but I love my Saturday night USDA prime sirloin just as much. And I don't care if the great taste comes from adding a little A1 Steak Sauce. I hope this makes sense to all of you.
Very well said!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
(would be kinda cool if the rumble could be coded as a standard idling feature, instead of during the first cold start minute only):
And that is precisely why cold start is overrated. That's great if 30 seconds can satisfy you for the entire day. Unfortunately for those of us who track our cars, the 1M is muted in the upper rpm range where you really hear it. Hope the Dinan cure this for me.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #18
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
E90 M3 2009 is the bone I gave myself after an instructor rolled us in my 2007 GT3 (humans OK, car totalled) and never really liked it (the 997 was fantastic on track until going off backwards at 100mph) but totally impractical on the street. Have to rev the crap out of the M3 to make it come alive so felt kind of like and idiot trying to enjoy on street.

1M is huge fun EVERYWHERE. Makes me grin more than the Porsche. The orange is perfect color cuz not bland and no other Bimmer's have it until some start ordering the X1 with it. (Well, it does actually look great in BS and AW, too...)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #19
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
I have to agree with this. The M3 is like listening to the London Philarmonic Orchestra live...you have all these super musicians and they all have to tune and warm up and practice and re-tune. Then finally at showtime, you get something glorious. But you have to go through a lot to get that glorious experience. The 1M is like listening to the same tune on your Bose sound system. You hit the track number and you have almost the same enjoyment immediately. If you don't believe me, listen to an M3 at startup, it sounds like a diesel with emphysema. Every morning, you have to wait for it to warm, cough and wheeze. Then finally when it warms up you have to have a stretch of road you can rev it up to hear the orchestra.

On the other hand starting up the 1M is an event! The 1M at start-up will crush the M3! Of course you only get it for 30 seconds, but I love starting it every single morning. Starting up the 1M reminds me of the recent fireworks mistake here in San Diego where they accidentally released 20 minutes of fireworks in one minute. I only live 10 minutes from work and go on surface streets. The 1M is glorious to start up every morning and just driving down 40MPH streets is a joy. Just feeling the kick in the butt at every light just rolling out of it without breaking any laws or pissing anyone off. Now if I lived in Germany and would have to take an empty autobahn to work and had a 30 minute drive the M3 would be better but for me, the 1M is way more fun every single morning.

So while the M3 has a better sound when fully warmed up and in high revs for us here in the US, the 1M is way more satisfying for me. Yes, I have eaten high class steak from cows that were hand-fed caviar by Tibetan monks and yes it was very good, but I love my Saturday night USDA prime sirloin just as much. And I don't care if the great taste comes from adding a little A1 Steak Sauce. I hope this makes sense to all of you.
I swear I thought that I was the one who wrote this one Spot on and we have exact same home to work conditions, 10 minutes but still a joy. Every garage I leave, condo or work I always leave some cheap alarms going crazy. Now even more with the new exhaust.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

So did the OP end up getting the 1M? I can only assume the one he was looking at is the one in Phoenix at a dealership with ~25k miles on it. They are asking $49k for it.

I happen to be one of the members that had an e92 M3 and now have a 1M. I sold the M3, bought a certified 997 turbo, kept that for about a year, and decided on the 1M. I actually prefer the 1M over both the M3 and the turbo. They all have their pros and cons without a doubt. The biggest pro of the M3, like others have stated, is the sound of the V8 (I had mine mated to Fabspeed high flow cats, midpipe, and Dinan rear section). Hands down the best sounding car I have ever owned and sounded as good as anything out there period imho. I liked the EDC as well. Main drawback was the car is on the larger side and does not have the sharper handling of say a 997 or the 1M.

The 997 turbo was an absolute blast, but the car's limits were so high and its acceleration so brutal (which I loved) that around town I could only enjoy the car for about 3-5 seconds at a time. Beautiful car (love widebody Porsches), super fast, not very practical, but I was always worried about getting a scratch or dent in it lol.

The 1M to me is special as I love the aggressive look, love that it is a pretty rare car (not happy that they produced a lot more worldwide than originally planned), and love the feel of it. It definitely feels more willing and sporty than the M3, more intimate. I basically feel the 1M is more similar to the 997 turbo than the M3: short wheelbase, twin turbo motor, similar in size, etc. Sure it's limits and acceleration are not nearly as high and brutal as the 997 turbo, but this makes it more fun around town as I can enjoy it more without having to shut it down as fast. Hope that makes sense.
2022 992 GTS| 7MT | Shark Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #21
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3
So did the OP end up getting the 1M? I can only assume the one he was looking at is the one in Phoenix at a dealership with ~25k miles on it. They are asking $49k for it.

I happen to be one of the members that had an e92 M3 and now have a 1M. I sold the M3, bought a certified 997 turbo, kept that for about a year, and decided on the 1M. I actually prefer the 1M over both the M3 and the turbo. They all have their pros and cons without a doubt. The biggest pro of the M3, like others have stated, is the sound of the V8 (I had mine mated to Fabspeed high flow cats, midpipe, and Dinan rear section). Hands down the best sounding car I have ever owned and sounded as good as anything out there period imho. I liked the EDC as well. Main drawback was the car is on the larger side and does not have the sharper handling of say a 997 or the 1M.

The 997 turbo was an absolute blast, but the car's limits were so high and its acceleration so brutal (which I loved) that around town I could only enjoy the car for about 3-5 seconds at a time. Beautiful car (love widebody Porsches), super fast, not very practical, but I was always worried about getting a scratch or dent in it lol.

The 1M to me is special as I love the aggressive look, love that it is a pretty rare car (not happy that they produced a lot more worldwide than originally planned), and love the feel of it. It definitely feels more willing and sporty than the M3, more intimate. I basically feel the 1M is more similar to the 997 turbo than the M3: short wheelbase, twin turbo motor, similar in size, etc. Sure it's limits and acceleration are not nearly as high and brutal as the 997 turbo, but this makes it more fun around town as I can enjoy it more without having to shut it down as fast. Hope that makes sense.
I think that the non ZCP M3 feels a little soft, and the 1M most definitely feels sharper, but the ZCP M3 feels every bit as nimble as the 1M with added benefit of a longer wheel base. I obviously have the M3 ZCP, but have driven and been a passenger of my friend's 1M quite extensively - both on all sorts of roads and track days. I personally feel that the 1M is setup to feel immediately "in your face" therefore you get a big smile right away, while the M3 is more cosseted at everyday speeds and its performance is layered and not immediately apparent when cruising around, but wind up the Drivelogic, servotronic and EDC setting, in addition to having ZCP and it becomes an absolute instrument, especially when you chuck it round tight technical and bumpy roads or a race track. Also, size difference is not really as issue given that both cars have similar track widths, and the M3 isn't exactly long. In the ideal world, I would have both cars.

Also, shameless plug, check out our Weekend In Wales trip for a nice view of a load of 1Ms and my M3 hooning round.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749034

Last edited by mlhj83; 10-08-2012 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #22
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
I think that the non ZCP M3 feels a little soft, and the 1M most definitely feels sharper, but the ZCP M3 feels every bit as nimble as the 1M with added benefit of a longer wheel base. I obviously have the M3 ZCP, but have driven and been a passenger of my friend's 1M quite extensively - both on all sorts of roads and track days. I personally feel that the 1M is setup to feel immediately "in your face" therefore you get a big smile right away, while the M3 is more cosseted at everyday speeds and its performance is layered and not immediately apparent when cruising around, but wind up the Drivelogic, servotronic and EDC setting, in addition to having ZCP and it becomes an absolute instrument, especially when you chuck it round tight technical and bumpy roads or a race track. Also, size difference is not really as issue given that both cars have similar track widths, and the M3 isn't exactly long. In the ideal world, I would have both cars.

Also, shameless plug, check out our Weekend In Wales trip for a nice view of a load of 1Ms and my M3 hooning round.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749034
I'm sure the ZCP feels better. I had a 2008 and purchased it when they were first released in the US. I did end up getting the full exhaust setup mentioned above along with suspension, BBS rims, CF bits, etc. The car was an absolute joy to drive and I had it for almost three years. This speaks volumes as I am lucky to keep a car for a year or two at best. But if someone were to ask me, "hey, having owned an e92 M3, 997 turbo, and 1M, which order would you rate them from favorite on down" I would say 1M, 997 turbo, and e92 M3. And if I subjectively had to score a number from 1-10 for each the difference would be minimal between the three. All great machines no doubt!
2022 992 GTS| 7MT | Shark Blue
Appreciate 0