F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW service package worthwhile on a contract lease?
GetBMWParts

10-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

BMW service package worthwhile on a contract lease?

I've got an F30 M Sport 330d on order, with a pretty decent spec - due mid-December. I've got it on a 2-year lease deal and, when I decided to add pro media package (circa £27/month), I took off the all-inclusive service package (circa £23/month).

I did that on the basis that I'll only have the car for 2 years and will need only one service at 19,000 miles, as I'll do around 12,000 miles per annum.

Am I making a mistake? Total cost of the service pack is £600 to me through my business. I'll use the torque pretty thoroughly out of bends on the open road, so I'd guess I'll get through at least one set of rear tyres and maybe a front set in 24 years. It's on 19" wheels as well, so probably looking at £250 per corner.

Does anyone know how much the first service at 19k is likely to cost?

Think I've already answered my own question - probably quids-in with one set of rear tyres and the 19k service. Or are the bridgestone run-flats very hard-wearing ...?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Are you talking the parts included service pack? The one that costs £1300 or something?

There is a £350 routine service only pack which is well worth it, but probably not if you are only going to service it once. First service shouldn't be more than £250 ish.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Yes I think you have answered your own question. I dont think your 1st service will cost £600 so if it costs £350 then you are £250 up (I've no idea on how much it will cost though). Why do you think you are making a mistake?

As for tyres, you need to buy them when they wear out regardless of whether you have the service package or not.

Edit: just read it again - are you implying you get tyres with the service pack? I didnt think they did a pack like that. I thought the expensive pack covered just brakes as well.

Here we go: http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/servicepa...312___,00.html click on "What is covered" no mention about tyres?

Last edited by dopper99; 10-18-2012 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah there is no worn out tyre pack, if there was I'd be drifting round the BMW car park every Friday for a new set.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Yes I think you have answered your own question. I dont think your 1st service will cost £600 so if it costs £350 then you are £250 up (I've no idea on how much it will cost though). Why do you think you are making a mistake?

As for tyres, you need to buy them when they wear out regardless of whether you have the service package or not.

Edit: just read it again - are you implying you get tyres with the service pack? I didnt think they did a pack like that. I thought the expensive pack covered just brakes as well.

Here we go: http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/servicepa...312___,00.html click on "What is covered" no mention about tyres?
Thanks for the replies and sorry I wasn't clearer in my question. Actually, the service deal they offer on a business lease is pretty impressive. All service costs for the full term of the lease, all new tyres (whether worn out, or damaged by getting a screw in the sidewall). You also get full RAC membership thrown in for the duration of the lease.

I'm pretty sure I'll trash at least one set of rear tyres in that time, maybe even two (my 530d is very good at chewing rears if you have too much fun).

Sounds like first service is between £250 & £350, so I make that a clear-cut win for taking the service package, given that even just two rear 19" run-flat tyres are likely to cost me nearly £500 fitted. Also got the peace of mind if I trash two sets of rears or get a rip in a tyre. That's happened to me a couple of times over the years and it's heart-breaking (and wallet breaking) if you're kill a rear tyre when they're part-worn - have to buy two new ones.

OK daft question - think I have my answer ... :-)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

You're talking about two completely different things. You're talking about a fully maintained lease car as opposed to BMW's service pack which you cannot get on a lease car.

It's all about what you want from a car. I have the maintenance on my new lease because I want everything to be somebody else's problem for the term of my lease. The thing is though, maintenance becomes a lot more expensive when it starts to become more important. if you take out a three or four year lease then maintenance can get steep quickly but then that's when you're most likely to want it

Having said that, a big seller for me is 19" run-flat tyres cost a bloody fortune and I think my maintenance was £40pcm or something, so call it £500 per year. Well two rear tyres will cost you £600 so do the maths
      10-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
You're talking about two completely different things. You're talking about a fully maintained lease car as opposed to BMW's service pack which you cannot get on a lease car.
Not totally true. When I ordered my 5 from a BMW dealer on Contract Hire they included the service pack in the order, then I had to pay a small amount extra in the monthly price for full maintenance including tyres etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah ok, lease company maintenance.

One thing that really pissed me off is taking the car for new tyres at say 1.8mm tread, and being told by the tyre dealer that he won't change it until they are 1.6mm. Happened every time......and before you say I'd just wheelspin the tyres in the parking lot down a few tenths, if the tyres look abused the lease co. can refuse to pay out.

On the basis that it is dangerous to run tyres down to 1.6mm I would rather pay for my own tyres. Also run flats start making serious noise below about 3mm. Something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep

Normally they say <2mm to replace but it is still a pain, especially if one side is under 2mm and the other just over for whatever reason they will only replace one tyre!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

You are lucky, the last 2 lease companies I dealt with, namely JCT600 and HBOS, both wanted exactly 1.6mm, and yes would replace one if the other was more than 1.8mm I think it was. If the car had a full sized spare, they would even go as far as using that and putting the least worn tyre as the spare, cheap baskets.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
If the car had a full sized spare, they would even go as far as using that and putting the least worn tyre as the spare, cheap baskets.
Oh yes I forgot about that one! I was actually happy to have a space saver spare.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, I thought things looked clear a couple of hours ago, but hearing these stories make me think again. Running a brand new tyre with a part-worn tyre on the same axle on a car that is even halfway fast is plain irresponsible. For all the silly laws we get from the EU, we don't get sensible ones that prevent lease companies doing things like that.

At 1.6mm of tread, are you at risk of getting nicked? Can't say I'd want to go anywhere on a main road in the wet at that.

I think I'll just go my original plan and leave the service package (or whatever it's called) off, get rid of the RFTs and put on some proper rubber - probably Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Better ride, better feel, better grip, more planted-ness & safety on twisty, broken road surfaces. Also very expensive, but I hear they last incredibly well compared to the PS1s & PS2s.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

When I had company cars years ago the lease company always insisted on putting the crapyest tyres on the car too
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 12:03 AM   #14
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
When I had company cars years ago the lease company always insisted on putting the crapyest tyres on the car too
+1

I had an Audi A3 on a company lease and they insisted that punctured tyres were repaired rather than replaced wherever possible.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #15
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Don't like the sound of any of this. I'll do without the inclusive service and tyres.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #16
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yep that too, last lease company obviously had a deal with Dunlop, because that's all you could have. Nothing wrong with Dunlop, but also downgraded the spec to below OE spec. Ended up with a sporty car on high miler tyres, not a good combo.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

I am still considering buying the Service Pack for £350, but as I don't do more than 6k miles per annum and don't keep my cars for more than 2-3 years, I am wondering whether it is worth it.

I'll decide nearer the time.
      10-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
I am still considering buying the Service Pack for £350, but as I don't do more than 6k miles per annum and don't keep my cars for more than 2-3 years, I am wondering whether it is worth it.

I'll decide nearer the time.
Definitely buy it.....even if you only use the 2 yearly services it will cost less than service spend....although all up front....keep the car 3 years and it saves you loads.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #19
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Definitely buy it.....even if you only use the 2 yearly services it will cost less than service spend....although all up front....keep the car 3 years and it saves you loads.
Your advice is my command.