E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > i-drive navigation clumsy with large capacity ipods

08-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #1
Moggie
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

i-drive navigation clumsy with large capacity ipods

Problem: I have a large 80Gb iPod which is about 80% with over 300 CDs. To get to a particular artist I usually have to spin the i-drive wheel for 20-30 seconds -- the rate at which the artists/albums are displayed is very slow. The real frustration come when I accidentally select the wrong artist/album and the 'back' navigation goes right back to 'A' ... arrrgh!

The larger iPods have a very sensible feature of switching to an A-Z navigation if the number of items is excessive... not so the i-drive it would seem.

My e93 was manufactured in March so I probably have progman v25.x

Is this normal? Is it any better with the latest progman updates? Does anybody have any tricks (like using playlists) to make this easier?

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 01:13 AM   #2
rebirth24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Same thing here on everything you just described. I think in addition to it being slow and the navigation being terrible, is how long it takes to actually play a song when you find it. It usually takes about 6-8 seconds for a song to actually begin playing for me once I select it. And of course the real winner for me is when you are playing a song turn the car off and come back to a "playlist" with only that one song in it and you have to navigate back through hell in order to find songs. Inexcusable for a $400 option (IMO).

Someone has reported that v26.2 progman is out but I have yet to see any hard reviews. So it may be an improvement or may not be.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Moggie
Private
Rep

I didn't mention the "switching the car off to return to one song being displayed" but I have that problem too. I agree it is inexcusable for an option that claims to fully integrate the iPod. I hope that because the usability problems are so obvious (and dangerous?) and would be easy for BMW to fix that there will be a s/w update to correct it. At least that's why I'm monitoring all the "v26" threads hoping for a fix....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
Rodrigo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible

What some people are doing is changing the Genre tag for all of their songs to the first letter of the Artist's name and then navigating to specific artists this way. For example, to get to Nine Inch Nails you would go Genre, N, Nine Inch Nails, and then pick an album.

It's not the ideal solution but it seems to work and I think I'm going to try this method as well.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
gobo335i
Toy Wrangler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i - GoCart on Steroids

Rodrigo...thats an interesting solution. I will try that also. can that genre edit be done only in the iPod, saving the same change to all the music on your computer?

Just to continue the bitch...of all companies...BMW and Mac claim to be in cahoots, and they have the best interface possible to match the click wheel and screen on the iPod, and yet they cant do this identical to the iPod interface? Stoopid. I guarantee you the designers at BMW are all bent out of shape about it.
      08-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #6
Moggie
Private
Rep

Agreed, nice idea. gobo335i, the fastest way to change Genre is in itunes so you can multi-select a bunch of albums at once and change the info.

I think I'll do this too until BMW sort this out -- I'm sure they will eventually..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
Rodrigo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=gobo335i;1248752]Rodrigo...thats an interesting solution. I will try that also. can that genre edit be done only in the iPod, saving the same change to all the music on your computer?[QUOTE]

Your best bet is probably to just change the Genre on the songs on your iPod and leave them untouched on your computer that way you can go back to that whenever you want. With your iPod connected to your computer just go into iTunes and modify the genre of the songs in your iPod, this should just change the genre on your iPod and not on your harddrive. I would think you should also turn off auto-sync so that you can keep the files on your computer and iPod different.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
robzeko
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 528i Black Saphire/Terra

Quote:
What some people are doing is changing the Genre tag for all of their songs to the first letter of the Artist's name and then navigating to specific artists this way. For example, to get to Nine Inch Nails you would go Genre, N, Nine Inch Nails, and then pick an album.

It's not the ideal solution but it seems to work and I think I'm going to try this method as well.
I think that only works if you have the USB connection. I tried that on my Ipod MOST adapter and it went like this Genre > N > every song by any artist that starts with an N. Which is identical to the artist or CD-2 part. Maybe I did it wrong though. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited by robzeko; 08-07-2007 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: spelling was never my strong point
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Rodrigo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robzeko View Post
I think that only works if you have the USB connection. I tried that on my Ipod MOST adapter and it went like this Genre > N > every song by any artist that starts with an N. Which is identical to the artist or CD-2 part. Maybe I did it wrong though. Anyone else notice this?
I think you're right and was assuming that the OP had the 6FL factory installed option.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 10:53 PM   #10
Moggie
Private
Rep

Well I just had my car serviced and had the latest software loaded (don't know the version). I'm happy to report that it looks like BMW has fixed the slow scroll problem! Now when scrolling fast the list turns into numbered rows (and greys the font) which fly by. When you slow down it returns to the full album or song name.

Also new is the fact that iDrive now remembers which album you were last viewing and will display the full list of tracks even after the car is restarted.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #11
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
Well I just had my car serviced and had the latest software loaded (don't know the version). I'm happy to report that it looks like BMW has fixed the slow scroll problem! Now when scrolling fast the list turns into numbered rows (and greys the font) which fly by. When you slow down it returns to the full album or song name.

Also new is the fact that iDrive now remembers which album you were last viewing and will display the full list of tracks even after the car is restarted.
great news
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 03:00 AM   #12
kourambas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335CiA

purchased tracks

Another issue - has anyone solved the problem with itunes purchased tracks?? I can access all my burned CD tracks etc on the idrive but not the ones I purchased on itunes. BMW tell me it's a coding issue with Apple - whatever that means?!
Appreciate 0