BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Mercedes A45 Getting Ready-Aiming 1M Performance

I know there will be lots of people finding this interesting; both the claim from Mercedes that they cracked RS3, 135i and 1M on the rings and also their repeated respect and appreciation to 1M. Of course, all I read in between lines is they really did NOT pass the 1M performance, but managed some numbers to claim that My guess; this is how they possibly operate, they take the official numbers for benchmark car, 1M in this case, so numbers are 340 ps, 450+50 nm, 0-100 km in 4.9 sec., Nurburgring in 8.15 etc. And we all know that they really could better most if not all of those, even with their 2.0 liter turbo engined car. We also know what the real performance figures are for the 1M! I will only believe that a A45 AMG dominates a 1M in most (or all) performance categories if I read it from a respectible car magazine like EVO or if I experience it myself.

Having said that, this is likely to be an impressive job from just a 2 liter turbo engine and new A class looks really good for a Mercedes imo.

Enjoy:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...i_rs3_bmw_1_m/
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 11-19-2012 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

"AMG has secretly worked on the new hatchback for four years."

The 1M was conceived and developed in 18 months. Wondering what would have happened if the 1M development team was offered more time and a larger budget. However, sometimes high time-constraints can contribute to achieving an extraordinary result, as conservative views have less time and impact to over-analyze and 'tune down' some spectacular features.

Related thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668203

In October 2012 AMG R&D chief Tobias Moers referred to the 1M as benchmark within its league: "But I soon realized that this was a unique opportunity to rewrite the rules, to set new standards and eclipse the competition. From day one, I wanted this car to better the BMW 1-series M coupe."
(http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...amg_prototype/)
      11-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Ramparus
Rep
Drives: 120d pre-LCI

Eichler, the head of engine and powertrain at AMG, could say anything he wants, and it is very valid for them to put a goal, an objetive to beat when developing a car. Even better if that goal is the 1M or the 135M, both cars that have really won a spectacular place among the critics.

But i can bet to anybody, that even if the A45 beats in the charts and in the lap times the numbers of the 1M, it is going to still be a worst car than the BMW. Why?, simple, the concept of sportiness and utility that AMG has is completely different to the ones of the M division. You can note that even reading the interview with Eichler, all the comparison between the 1M and the A45 is based in their behavior in the track, in Nurburgring and Hockenheim. Of course a Pagani Zonda R is going to be faster than a 1M, but that doesn't mean that i want to ride it everyday to work, for example. Lap times, and charts numbers doesn't define a car. If it was that way, the RS3 would be better than a 1M, because it has a better 0 to 100 acceleration. And we know that it is not. Most of the people who has ride both cars picks the 1M over the RS3. Even if we continue with this type of comparison, we can look at the C63 AMG vs the M3, the first one has 451 hp, vs the 414 hp of the bimmer, and the second is a lot better than the merc. I have ride them both, and the only thing that i could rescue of the AMG was the amazing sound of the exhaust.The rest is really shit, the ride is hard as hell, the traction control invades you at every moment, and the comfort for a mercedes was awful.

The M division, respects the philosophy behind BMW. The 50:50 balance, the RWD, and the most important, the pleasure of driving. The AMG group doesn't meet those requirements, even worst, to achieve a real sport car they sacrifice the comfort that had characterize mercedes all the time. Today, the sport driver looks for a car that can be used daily, in the city and on the track. Not only on track, not a Nurburgring conceptualized car. If you are looking for a car that can achieve amazing times in Hockenheim, probably aren't going to buy a mercedes, there are better options for that, if thats your goal please go out and buy an ariel atom.

So, is the A45 AMG going to be a 1M killer?, i really doubt it. Probably is going to be a hot hatch, with an enormous motor, but with a ride hard as a rock, an unbalanced ride, and an uncomfortable setup. Sure, it beats the 1M on the track, but it also would beat your ass when driving it home.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
135IS
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 LMB 135I / AW 1M

Garage List
2009 135i  [7.00]
w.e they do to that car its still an A-class. sure it beat it around the ring. what does that really mean tho? if anyone cared about nurburgring laptimes we would all be driving dodge viper acr's lol
AW 1M: Current #211 of 220
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

I don't think that it will be better than a 1M, even the new M135i will be the better car vs. A45 AMG I suspect. But it is nice to know that 1M is the old wolf that youngsters are aiming to take over
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Ramparus
Rep
Drives: 120d pre-LCI

Sure, they can aim all time they want, but i doubt that they are going to achieve their goal. Is like the Japan cars makers that still try to make a car like a 3 series, even that they have been in that work for a lot of time, still doesn't make a real rival.

It is a problem of the philosophy when designing a car, and mercedes hasn't change their concept of it. So, it is improvable that the A45 would be designed as good as the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Its an impressive car, but it has a very different appeal to the 1M. Regardless if the numbers match or exceed the 1M, it doesn't do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
They speculate $80 000 for the AMG A45 Hatch!

Yea not so sure i can afford one ever even though it would be the cheapest AMG ever.
i can see the reviews already.... stating is it worth the extra cash?....:P

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #9
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
While I wouldn't personally compare it to the 1M I will say that, having seen the new A Klasse, it doesn't look bad and an AMG version would be a pretty nice car in it's own right/market.

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
While I wouldn't personally compare it to the 1M I will say that, having seen the new A Klasse, it doesn't look bad and an AMG version would be a pretty nice car in it's own right/market.
I saw one AMG package show car in Santiago Auto Show a few months ago and it was looking modern outside and the interior was quite classy and sporty at the same time, would prefer it to bigger Mercedes models or other hot hatches.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I saw one AMG package show car in Santiago Auto Show a few months ago and it was looking modern outside and the interior was quite classy and sporty at the same time, would prefer it to bigger Mercedes models or other hot hatches.
+1

Let's wait for the final production version. Merc knows very well that it will be compared to the 1M, so let's see without prejudice whether this puppy will live up to the high expectations. Still kept in the "Follow Up" folder rather than already in the trash bin.
      11-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Guardian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 135is#190/586 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramparus View Post
Sure, they can aim all time they want, but i doubt that they are going to achieve their goal. Is like the Japan cars makers that still try to make a car like a 3 series, even that they have been in that work for a lot of time, still doesn't make a real rival.

It is a problem of the philosophy when designing a car, and mercedes hasn't change their concept of it. So, it is improvable that the A45 would be designed as good as the 1M.
I agree with you on part of this, but disagree a little as well. As far as Japanese brands trying to make a car like the 3, I would say that I agree with you that most have failed, but only if you are going to the "fun to drive" factor or pure performance factor.

No Japanese maker has ever come close to the feel of BMW behind the wheel. My wife and I have owned Lexus, Infiniti and Acura. The steering feel, connection to the car, etc. Lexus has, at least, bested BMW in some areas of refinement, materials, fit-and-finish. Is that what it's about? Well, for some buyers it is, and that's why they buy Lexus over BMW. That is where Japanese makers have rivaled or even surpassed the 3 series and to some extent the 5.

For others, like me and many on this board, it is about that tangible enjoyment factor when driving a car, and BMW beats any Japanese maker at this hands down. Will AMG hit the mark? Maybe, but we'll just have to wait and see, and even then, as others have pointed out, how much fun it is on the street will mean more than the time at the Ring.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Short and sweet...Having owned 4 AMG's in the past, I'll stick to BMW!
      11-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
jvmax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1m valencia orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Really? Why's that?
i would guess no manual option and steep depreciation
1991 & 1995 Porsche 911
2012 Audi R8
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Guardian View Post
For others, like me and many on this board, it is about that tangible enjoyment factor when driving a car, and BMW beats any Japanese maker at this hands down. Will AMG hit the mark? Maybe, but we'll just have to wait and see, and even then, as others have pointed out, how much fun it is on the street will mean more than the time at the Ring.
Well stated, Dark Guardian.
      12-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #16
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Really? Why's that?
AMG's are great cars for cruising however they are heavy and their handling is too. If you want a car that's responsive in a straight line with nice creature comforts and a great sound coming from the tailpipes AMG all the way, if you want to feel the road and you enjoy power and responsive handling BMW can't be beat.

IMHO the perfect (affordable) car would have an AMG sound, an Audi Interior and BMW handling.
      12-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
IMHO the perfect (affordable) car would have an AMG sound, an Audi Interior and BMW handling.
Lol. This is an interesting thought in so many ways... and I agree haha
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
Artemis
Rep

Cross-reference to related Merc A45 AMG thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668203
      02-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #19
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

I hope the AMG is better, competition improves the breed.
It's easier to better something when you already know what the benchmark is. No doubt the M2 will then be better again. On paper the AMG does sound pretty good with useable power that'll run away from a 1M. The 1M will still put a bigger grin on your face tho!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #20
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

according to car and driver only the 4 door sedan, the cla 45 will becoming to the states. interesting to see how it will compare to the 1m.
Appreciate 0