F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Features missing from the F30/F31 that you've had on other cars
proTUNING Freaks

11-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
andymj
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Features missing from the F30/F31 that you've had on other cars

I've had my F31 330D now for about a month. Its my first BMW (after years of slating them, and their owners), but overall, its exceeded my expectations, especially as I did not test drive the F30 or F31 prior to purchase.

That said, there are a number of little things that I miss on the car ...

Heated windscreen that my Mondeo ST's had.
Automatic clock setting from SatNav that my Benz C Class had
Mute button the steeringwheel that the Benz C Class had
Sun Glasses holder (can't remember the last car to have this .. maybe the Mondeo?)
Audible beep when I've locked the the car.
Beep on automatic tailgate like on the Benz
Easier (100% working) method of interrupting TP alerts and going back to the station I was listening too
When on TP alert, an option to stay on that station. Sometimes there's something aired that I want to listen too - but the radio goes back to the tuned station after the broadcaster signals.

What things do you miss from previous generation BM's, or other marques that you've had ?

I don't mean big things, like "the v8 I had in the Dodge" .. little things .. things that wouldn't make you buy the car, but things that annoy you that you don't have.
2012 BMW 330d .. gone
2009 MB C250 .. gone
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

The two most annoying things that the F30 is missing:

1) No way to sync driver/passenger temperatures
2) No audio volume indicator displayed, anywhere. This is important for me because I switch between several audio sources, use iPhone, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
dc1743
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D Sport

By far and away the biggest thing I miss is the digital speedometer I had in my B8 Audi A4 2.0 TDI. I believe this can be coded but I can not locate anyone to do it.

A close second is comfortable seats. I have the sports seats that are standard in the 320D Sport, some say they are comfortable, but for me after an hour or so my right leg is numb and I am squirming for a more comfortable position. This problem is exacerbated by slightly offset (to the right) pedals (RHD 8sp auto) and the fact that the seat moves forward if you increase height (which is only a problem in itself if you need maximum legroom).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymj View Post
I've had my F31 330D now for about a month. Its my first BMW (after years of slating them, and their owners), but overall, its exceeded my expectations, especially as I did not test drive the F30 or F31 prior to purchase.

That said, there are a number of little things that I miss on the car ...

Automatic clock setting from SatNav that my Benz C Class had
Mute button the steeringwheel that the Benz C Class had
Sun Glasses holder (can't remember the last car to have this .. maybe the Mondeo?)
Audible beep when I've locked the the car.
Beep on automatic tailgate like on the Benz
Easier (100% working) method of interrupting TP alerts and going back to the station I was listening too
When on TP alert, an option to stay on that station. Sometimes there's something aired that I want to listen too - but the radio goes back to the tuned station after the broadcaster signals.

What things do you miss from previous generation BM's, or other marques that you've had ?

I don't mean big things, like "the v8 I had in the Dodge" .. little things .. things that wouldn't make you buy the car, but things that annoy you that you don't have.
I think BMW (and other car manufacturers) stopped fitting heated windscreens (with the heating elements etc.) as they added cost and complication with getting windscreens replaced for chips/cracks etc. This was the same with the E90, but there is still a button to quickly clear your windscreen and front windows. Have you tried the button? It worked very quickly on my E92 and E82, perhaps as quick as an actual heated screen would be?

Re the audible beep when locking, I believe the folks in the US get this (they can turn it on/off in iDrive), I'm not sure why we don't even have the option here in the UK! Personally I prefer it without, as I can still hear the doors locking when close to the car, or see the lights flash when I'm further away, but yes it would be nice to have the choice!
      11-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymj View Post
I had a string of STs over a few years and the heated screens are the BEST thing I've ever had in a car. none of this crappy blowers on the screen and wait for the engine to warm up: 10s from key turn to totally clear screen. At most It's a shame you don't get them in non-Ford group cars. Wasn't it a patent issue that stopped other manufacturers fitting them? Pretty sure I've only seen them in Ford/Volvo/Mazda cars sharing parts ...
      11-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1743 View Post
... and the fact that the seat moves forward if you increase height (which is only a problem in itself if you need maximum legroom).
Like so many things on the 3 series, there are some disgraceful options that should be standard. Electric 10-way seats and adjustable lumbar were standard on cars I've had costing half as much. Hell, even my MPS has electric memory seats with adjustable lumber. I had two ST170s with 10-way Recaros with adjustable everything, same with an ST-2 and two Mondeo STs (and a couple of Titanium Xs for that matter) and yes, I used to work for Ford way back when
      11-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Like so many things on the 3 series, there are some disgraceful options that should be standard. Electric 10-way seats and adjustable lumbar were standard on cars I've had costing half as much. Hell, even my MPS has electric memory seats with adjustable lumber. I had two ST170s with 10-way Recaros with adjustable everything, same with an ST-2 and two Mondeo STs (and a couple of Titanium Xs for that matter) and yes, I used to work for Ford way back when
My Dad's 25+ year old Ford Scorpio has electric seats as standard (yes, he still has it, those things seem to last forever), and yes, heated screen!
      11-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
- Heated windscreen: Glad I don't have it. Every Ford I've been in with a heated windscreen, I notice these 'star' patterns you get off street lights when driving at night. Plus you can see the wires. Could be I'm just OCD about having an absolutely 'clear' windscreen.
- Auto clock setting: Seems to keep good time and only takes about 10 seconds to change (when the clocks go back/fwd) so don't really miss it.
- Mute button: Would be a 'nice to have' but dropping the volume by holding down the '-' button on the steering wheel is pretty quick.
- Sunglasses holder: Leave mine on that little tray in front of the gear lever. (Don't use the cup holders - drinks in cups inside cars are an accident waiting to happen!).
- Audible beep on lock: Don't really miss it as the indicators flash anyway, plus you can hear the door locks engage. Think the noise abatement lobby in the UK probably saw an end to the beep didn't they?
- Beep on auto tailgate: Ok, what's with all the beeping? Why exactly does the tailgate need to beep?
- TP alerts: Don't listen to them, tend to use the 'traffic situation' setting on the satnav instead. When I used to listen to them they always seemed to be irrelevant anyway, e.g. for a different county!
- Sync driver/passenger temp: While it bugs me that I had this on a lesser spec E81, reality is it probably doesn't matter. Passenger temp is generally within 2 degrees so you probably can't feel it.
- No audio volume indicator: Yep agree with that, especially when you switch to audio and it's between tracks or on a quiet intro... you crank up the volume then suddenly get blasted!
- Digital speedo: I'm lucky enough to have the HUD so get a digital speedo, but it's a matter of taste I guess.

As for some of the things that 'should' be standard like electric seats, etc., I'd agree it's a bit of a con that they aren't but that's BMW for you. Buy a similarly priced Lexus and there probably isn't an option it hasn't already got as standard (although it'll be dull as dishwater to drive!)

I do miss the ability to skip tracks via a button on the steering wheel (distracting having to fumble about for the < > buttons on the dash).
Also miss being able to have the windscreen that's tinted at the top - seems BMW lacks the ability to combine that with the HUD option for some reason.

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 11-21-2012 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Like so many things on the 3 series, there are some disgraceful options that should be standard.
Welcome to the world of BMW. Would you rather have the options as standard, and a much higher price point?

BMW have always been expensive, if you added all the essential options. I think they have been pretty clever it getting folks to buy the options. We all want them, so pay the price. Hence the "poverty spec" term and why used BMWs need a decent spec' to really be desirable.

I go back to the time when even a radio was an option in a BMW, when most of the competition had standard radio/tape players.

E21 320d was a poverty specification, compared to the Triumph Dolomite Sprint at a similar price in my young days. Raised the same criticism, but BMW still forged ahead, as the BMW was the car folks really wanted. BMW couldn't lose, even though once specced up, the 320d was mega expensive for less performance.

I'm a bit surprised BMW sales really caught on, from their more exclusive status, seeing as the decent specifications are in a higher bracket than your average well equipped cars of similar size. Users have bought into the car to aspire to, new and used.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

There's clearly no substitute for WANT. Ask Apple
      11-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Quote:
No way to sync driver/passenger temperatures
Yeah. This gets on my tits too
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Why would you need to sync them? You all have wives, right? So the left setting is always on MAXREHEATOMGIT'STOOOOHOT!!!!! and the right setting flows nicely between 17 and 20 degrees depending on your mood and weather.

Perfic
      11-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Welcome to the world of BMW. Would you rather have the options as standard, and a much higher price point?

BMW have always been expensive, if you added all the essential options. I think they have been pretty clever it getting folks to buy the options. We all want them, so pay the price. Hence the "poverty spec" term and why used BMWs need a decent spec' to really be desirable.

I go back to the time when even a radio was an option in a BMW, when most of the competition had standard radio/tape players.

E21 320d was a poverty specification, compared to the Triumph Dolomite Sprint at a similar price in my young days. Raised the same criticism, but BMW still forged ahead, as the BMW was the car folks really wanted. BMW couldn't lose, even though once specced up, the 320d was mega expensive for less performance.

I'm a bit surprised BMW sales really caught on, from their more exclusive status, seeing as the decent specifications are in a higher bracket than your average well equipped cars of similar size. Users have bought into the car to aspire to, new and used.

HighlandPete
Too right, I for one wouldn't want to have paid extra for an electric seat that stays in the exact same position for 3 years, lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep

Quote:
Why would you need to sync them? You all have wives, right? So the left setting is always on MAXREHEATOMGIT'STOOOOHOT!!!!! and the right setting flows nicely between 17 and 20 degrees depending on your mood and weather.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 330d mSport

I think I might miss the Auto Hold function that's on the F10
      11-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Clutch pedal from too many cars to mention

The Subaru wave

But yes the fact that the time doesn't self calibrate is shocking on a car equipped with GPS
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep

Quote:
But yes the fact that the time doesn't self calibrate is shocking on a car equipped with GPS
Yeah. But when you're driving it grinning like a Cheshire cat you really don't give a toss do you?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

You do if you're late to that all important meeting that pays for the car
      11-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #19
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep

Quote:
You do if you're late to that all important meeting that pays for the car
Yeah you're right even the central heating changes the clock itself....
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #20
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
Yeah you're right even the central heating changes the clock itself....
Yep, my phone, my watch, my computer, my central heating, all change time at DST time.....automatically.

Now I have a ultra modern car equipped with a GPS that runs to an atomic clock the most accurate timing device known to man and I now have to change it manually.....and it could and probably will wander off time in due course.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
penguin_of_death
Often described as A Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30, e87, e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
-

I do miss the ability to skip tracks via a button on the steering wheel (distracting having to fumble about for the < >
Can't you use the spin wheel on the steering wheel to skip tracks. I've seen it work with iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #22
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_of_death View Post
Can't you use the spin wheel on the steering wheel to skip tracks. I've seen it work with iPhone.
Yes you can (at least with the black panel display); though it does take two actions rather than one (spin the wheel, then press it)...