E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > iPod/USB Question

08-10-2007, 05:58 AM   #1
Artkitekt
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i Montego

Question iPod/USB Question

Question #1 : Is the iDrive USB interface USB 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0?
Question #2 : Is there a maximum limitation on how big the iPod/thumbdrive can be?

I got my 335i a few days ago and this 500 song iPod Nano just isn't cutting it right now since I pretty much live in my car .. I have discovered that my thumbdrive works EXACTLY the same if not better than the iPod because I can setup directories for limited scrolling action, the file transfers are faster...and well, its way cheaper than getting an $260 80GB iPod video that I would never use outside of the car..

So I went to my local Frys electronics store on a quest to find a 16GB+ flash drive.. to my surprise I spot "HP Pocket Media Drive 120GB" which claims to not require any external power supply because it runs off of USB power alone.. I buy the merch for a modest price and head home eager to transfer over every song I have ever *ahem* backed up in my life.. I open the box and all 12 of my boners go soft when I see that the USB cable has two male heads! I plug in one of the heads into my computer.. bingo it works.. I transfer over some test music.. head down to the garage.. plug the guy in ANNDDDDD...

nothing , it doesn't show up in iDrive... the power indicator is lit, despite that I scream at the heavens "shit it must be USB 1.0 because it doesn't have enough juice to fully power the thing". lightbulb. I bring the laptop down and plug in the extra USB head into it hoping that the extra juice will help.. nothing... I'm going to get one of those cigarette lighter usb power adapters tomorrow and give it another shot.. anyway I can't be mad at this car.. it is a 335i!!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 02:43 AM   #2
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 4dr Sport+Premium+Nav

How'd it go?

I agree, the ipod seems to be inferior to simply using a flash drive because you can organize the files so much better. Also, the music will be directly decoded by Logic 7 rather that coming the the analog Aux port.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
drwtsn32
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi, 2016 MB GLA250

There was another thread either here or at bimmerfest about using bus-powered hard drives. Someone noted that their bus-powered USB drive would work, but it would take like 30 minutes to index the drive!

Try only putting a few songs on the 120GB drive at the start and see if that works.

Oh, also it must be formatted FAT32. If you're using NTFS, no way would the drive work in the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Artkitekt
Private
Rep

It was NTFS bro, good call! I have about 10GB of songs on another drive right now and it takes about 5 seconds to index. It takes about 1 second to open every sub folder after that. I think the guy with a 30 minute wait might have dumped all of his mp3s into one folder or have a really slow drive. I found another drive shortly after the troublesome 160GB, the PleoMax 12GB. This little guy fits perfectly in the armrest compartment and is small enough to put in your pocket.

Now that I have the bigger drive working I'll test both drives for r/w performance.
I'll let you guys know about the bigger drive soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
ssjLancer
Private
Rep
Drives: 07' 328xi Sedan

I dont want to start a new thread but why does my Ipod nano work(using the standard usb cable from apple) but my Ipod mini doesnt?
The mini would randomly disconnect and the directories dont show up.
Edit:nm I fixed it
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
drwtsn32
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi, 2016 MB GLA250

Cool, glad you got it working Artkitekt. From some of the earlier threads on this topic, I was under the impression that bus-powered hard drives didn't work. I already purchased a 16GB flash drive for my MP3s.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
Artkitekt
Private
Rep

Update

After every day testing for 2 months I have concluded that the Samsung Pleomax drive is the sheit. It holds 12GBs of data/music and has a very little iDrive boot time. I have about 10GB of chunes and they start playing only a couple of seconds after the BMW screen.

My girlfriend accidentally washed it today in the laundry and it still works like a champ
Appreciate 0