E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > how to prolong that "new car" smell

05-23-2005, 07:43 AM   #1
flyboy-sa
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330 ... almost

how to prolong that "new car" smell

Hi All,

Just curious to know how does one go about keeping that "new car smell" in the car for as long as possible - it is addictive almost like puppy breath hehe. im rather silly and tend to close all airvents, windows and the sunroof when there is a truck ahead spewing out large amounts of exhaust fumes.
How long on average does the new smell last in the car and is there a way to prolong its most welcome stay in your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2005, 08:06 AM   #2
btc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06/330i/SB/TERA/AL

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Try not to eat or drink in your vehicle if posible, and dont smoke in your vehicle, that one way to prolong your health.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy-sa
Hi All,

Just curious to know how does one go about keeping that "new car smell" in the car for as long as possible - it is addictive almost like puppy breath hehe. im rather silly and tend to close all airvents, windows and the sunroof when there is a truck ahead spewing out large amounts of exhaust fumes.
How long on average does the new smell last in the car and is there a way to prolong its most welcome stay in your car.
Easily!! Use BMW OEM cleaning products! Mine was in my E46 for over 6 months, and was as strong as the day I bought it when i sold the thing...Dont use the crappy stuff, and use leather conditioner even if you have leatherette! the plastci dash cleaner is most important..let me know if you cant get a hold of any...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2005, 08:05 AM   #4
kevbhoy
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: '06 325i SE Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo5521
Easily!! Use BMW OEM cleaning products! Mine was in my E46 for over 6 months, and was as strong as the day I bought it when i sold the thing...Dont use the crappy stuff, and use leather conditioner even if you have leatherette! the plastci dash cleaner is most important..let me know if you cant get a hold of any...
Either that or a New Car Smell Magictree
      05-28-2005, 01:53 AM   #5
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbhoy
Either that or a New Car Smell Magictree
HAHA!! And a lot cheaper too!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2005, 04:53 PM   #6
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy-sa
Hi All,

.....how does one go about keeping that "new car smell" in the car for as long as possible?.
-Try not to fart in it.
      05-30-2005, 07:55 PM   #7
¶Pho€nix
Velocity Vector
Rep
Drives: me nuts

It's actually the oils in the leather that give it that smell. Here's my tips:

1. Some BMW dealerships use Lexol and Vinylex. You can get both from any Pep Boys. Not only do they recondition and clean the leather, but they leave that "new car" interior smell.

2. Try to keep the windows up as much as possible when parked even in the garage to prevent the oils from drying. Sun shields help cool the interior when the car is parked outside.

3. Prevent dust build-up on the leather. That desaturates it and dries the oils over time. That means vacuuming the carpet, too, to prevent more dust from flying around.

This isn't a guarantee that your leather will always smell new, and it's different accross certain types of leather and their colors (dye used). But I can tell you that four years of operation and my BMW's interior still smells like it came out of the dealership, without the aid of air fresheners.
      06-06-2005, 01:32 PM   #8
yetdog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau
-Try not to fart in it.
I was waiting for that!!
Appreciate 0