BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

08-16-2007, 02:48 AM   #1
doc1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport

UK Residuals

Help me please.
I am sure there are others in the same boat as me.
I am an M3 fan. I am not a speculator. I cannot wait to get my hands on a new car and placed my order 3 years ago and have been gradually ramping up the excitement ever since....but
Although I can afford the car initially I am not sure I can afford to take a big hit if the residuals turn out to be crappy. Whereas I was looking at a car in the new year, I have now been offered a Dec car from another dealer with a quick call - are people dropping off the list, or are others holding orders for the dct?.
I had hoped to run the car for 6mths and enjoy being one of the first to enjoy it for minimal hit come mid next year.Now I'm not so sure. I also think BMW have put the price too high because with the usual required extras the car costs £55000. Looking around thats a 55 plate 911 which is a fairly safe bet.
Some thoughts would be helpful as I have to spec up tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 04:33 AM   #2
TheRealDC
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Residuals

Hi

I'm in the same position as yourself in that I ordered my car in 04 also. I have specced mine and I've been advised that it will be here first week Oct at worst. Regarding residuals, I can't say for sure, but I suspect that the residuals will be the same as for the E46 during the first couple of years while demand is high. At least thats what I'm hoping! I've had my E46 for 4.5 years now and have been offered £12,500 trade in from the supplying dealer, which is pretty poor even though the mileage is noew 88k. I'd still say "go for it" and enjoy!!

Cheers .. DC
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 04:45 AM   #3
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
I'm suspecting the residuals on the DCT will be better - I think this will have more universal appeal than the previous SMG and there will be a consequent effect on demand for manual version in the second-hand market. I probably going to change my order and wait...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
savage.ulm
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
I'm suspecting the residuals on the DCT will be better - I think this will have more universal appeal than the previous SMG and there will be a consequent effect on demand for manual version in the second-hand market. I probably going to change my order and wait...

It will be nich into a nich. I mean, that for many purist the manual is the only way to go. For me too. So the residual will probably be nbot so bad.I am tempted for sure also from the new system, but I will suggest to wait for one year at least before to order that one. And this means not before spring 2009.What about the problems that for sure will appear during the first period of his life?
like for the smg???The engine of my previous e46 burned for a not efficient seal, into the oil pump. I lost an engine for a stupid seal!!!so, since the smg had many many troubles, why to be the testers for the BMW using the first year of production of the new DCT?It will cost also more (2500euro??) and will burn more fuel.Probably. Consider also that there are rumors that for about 18 months the production is still almost sold. This means that used cars in short period will have good value. So my opinion is go for manual.
I took the same decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 06:01 AM   #5
savage.ulm
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm View Post
Consider also that there are rumors that for about 18 months the production is still almost sold. This means that used cars in short period will have good value. So my opinion is go for manual.
I took the same decision.
E92 M3 Sold out in UK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The UK’s allocation of BMW M3s has sold out. Some 700 cars were reserved for UK buyers for 2007, and they’ve all gone.
Each car was ordered with an average of £4700-worth of options – taking the averge price of the car up from £50,625 to £55,325.
The most-wanted option is apparently the 19-inch alloy wheels – the very same wheels that BMW’s chassis people reckon do nothing for the car’s dynamics.
One of the next most popular options was the DAB digital radio.
In 2008, sales are expected to top out at around 2000 cars – demand for the last M3 peaked at 1800 cars a year. The new saloon and coupe-convertible versions of the M3 will add to that tally.

Autocar - UK M3s all sold out

FROM CHONKOA, German car zone
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 06:03 AM   #6
doc1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
mmm... dont know about that. The DCT type transmission on VW, Audi doesn't seem to affect residuals too much and will probably be another £1,500 on top anyway. My main concern is BMW upping deliveries and the market being more supplied than I previously thought.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 06:11 AM   #7
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm View Post
E92 M3 Sold out in UK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The UK’s allocation of BMW M3s has sold out. Some 700 cars were reserved for UK buyers for 2007, and they’ve all gone.
Each car was ordered with an average of £4700-worth of options – taking the averge price of the car up from £50,625 to £55,325.
The most-wanted option is apparently the 19-inch alloy wheels – the very same wheels that BMW’s chassis people reckon do nothing for the car’s dynamics.
One of the next most popular options was the DAB digital radio.
In 2008, sales are expected to top out at around 2000 cars – demand for the last M3 peaked at 1800 cars a year. The new saloon and coupe-convertible versions of the M3 will add to that tally.

Autocar - UK M3s all sold out

FROM CHONKOA, German car zone

Very interesting.
      08-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
If DCT turns out to have initial glitches, people might actually stay away from buying used '08 M3s with it. I don't expect the rest of the car to have any major bugs, but DCT could very well be a potential headache for the initial production cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 08:44 AM   #9
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Very interesting.
It would be but it's simply not true. Only this morning, on another forum I frequent, a UK based one, people are reporting that whilst previously they were well down the list and expecting deliveries late 2008, they are receiving calls asking if they want to take delivery in December this year. The dealers are saying that when it comes to firming up the deposits people are dropping like flies. Apparently two reasons. It's seen as too expensive and has entered 1 year old 911 territory. And second reason, people know the DCT is on it's way next year, so they are holding back for that.

You Americans and it appears some Brits, need to realise Autocar TALK UTTER RUBBISH half the time. It can be a good read but they are renowned for just making stuff up.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #10
doc1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
It would be but it's simply not true. Only this morning, on another forum I frequent, a UK based one, people are reporting that whilst previously they were well down the list and expecting deliveries late 2008, they are receiving calls asking if they want to take delivery in December this year. The dealers are saying that when it comes to firming up the deposits people are dropping like flies. Apparently two reasons. It's seen as too expensive and has entered 1 year old 911 territory. And second reason, people know the DCT is on it's way next year, so they are holding back for that.

You Americans and it appears some Brits, need to realise Autocar TALK UTTER RUBBISH half the time. It can be a good read but they are renowned for just making stuff up.
I get the impression that some dealers can fiddle things around, but generally there is demand there and hence potential for reasonable residuals. I just got off the phone to Stansted BMW who are still quoting Mid 2008 for a car ordered now.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

I think an early M3 will be a depreciation disaster. It wouldn't stop me buying one though.

With the DCT expected to be launched next March/April the value of the early ones will drop. Also, there simply isn't the long waiting lists that there were for the E46, so why would residuals remain robust?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #12
savage.ulm
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
I think an early M3 will be a depreciation disaster. It wouldn't stop me buying one though.

With the DCT expected to be launched next March/April the value of the early ones will drop. Also, there simply isn't the long waiting lists that there were for the E46, so why would residuals remain robust?
I don't know, probably it will be true in Usa. But here in Italy it will be the opposite. The market and the request is bigger than the offer. So..not many M3 around? good for a secon one not so old...Good cash money. I am sure. Expecially if bugs free (like I hope , but probably it will happen for the new dtc)...My old one was sold after two months from new. For engine problems .I lost 4000 euro and not like usual all the VAT (20% here)...And it was a common car, not a rare one like it will be the new M3 for a long period.It was also manual..Simply sold after a week...

Best regards

Last edited by savage.ulm; 08-16-2007 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0