Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > worn snow tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
XS222
Me
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

worn snow tires

i have a dedicated set of winter tires+wheels, and have been the absolute best money i've spent on the car.

this is my 3rd and final season on them, but they have worn out pretty unevenly (thanks to my affinity for baked goods......donuts, get it? ) the rear tires have worn out mostly down the middle of the tire, where the fronts are pretty evenly worn.

i put the tires with more tread on my front wheels and put the worn tires on the rear. the logic was, i want the tires with more tread up front for steering and braking, while the worn tires are just doing the driving.

the more and more i think about it, i want to put my worn tires up front where theres tread on the shoulders, and the more tread tires out back for traction. the worn tires still have tread on the shoulders, and when the wheels are turning, they camber and therefore use the shoulder to bite through snow/slush. does this make sense at all? or do i just leave the fully treaded tires on the front?

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Better tires in the rear is preferable.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...nt-or-the-rear

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...f4b&techid=52&

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0