E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Put on my first 2 coats of Zaino yesterday....couple of questions

11-22-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Put on my first 2 coats of Zaino yesterday....couple of questions

Ok, I took deliver of my TiAu 330i last week. I drove it from OH to MI this weekend for some good break in (500 miles worth) but she's currently in the garage this week during the Zaino process while I run out the miles on my Acura lease.

So yesterday at lunch I ran to the "magic wand" do it yourself car wash, and got the grime off from the weekend trip - just used soap and water. I didn't see the need to clay bar it at this point, since it's only a week old. I then I drove back home (1/2 mile) and towel dried. I mixed up Z2 with ZFX in the 2 oz. bottle, and applied the first coat. I waited about 2 hrs. for dry time, and buffed out, then sprayed and whiped down with the Show Car Shine stuff - that seemed to really bring out the mirror shine! I then applied a 2nd coat of polish, which I let dry overnight, buffed out this morning, and applied another application of Show Car Shine (I forget the Z# on this product). Tonight I'll apply a 3rd and final coat (think I should do another?) which I'll let sit until probobly Thursday morning, at which time I'll buff out, and apply the 3rd application of Show Car Shine. In the interim, I'll be doing some interior leather conditioning with Lexol, but I also have Zaino leather cleaner ordered as I've heard great things about the smell.

- So far, I've used about 2/3 of my 2 oz. bottle - I've got 1/3 left for the final application. Sound about right?

- I've read on their site you can go up to 5 coats. Given that we're about to go into about 3 months of nasty snowy road conditions, should I bother with putting on more coats until Spring, or would more coats actually help during the winter months?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

zaino makes two sprays the Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray (white bottle) and the Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal (black bottle). If you dont have one i would suggest getting both. Z-8 is not as easy to use as z-6, z-8 is highly highly concentrated and if you over do it, it will streak.

The more layers the better and you dont need to let it sit overnight if you are using the zfx that is the point of the additive. If you6 going to let it sit then dont waste your zfx. Zfx is a drying agent/catalyst. It usually takes me about a 1/2 oz to do a suv from top to bottom, i would assume it would take me about a 1/3 of an oz or less to do the e90. Havent zainoed my e90 yet been useing other products from my collection. Remember more is less when it comes to z2-pro. Alittle trick prime you application pad with z6 to make z2 spread further!!!

Chris
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2

Last edited by impulsebrklyn; 11-22-2005 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
IllinoisE90
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I'm following the thread. My E90 should be delivered in a week or so. Thanks for the advice, impulse. Do you have a preference for a leather conditioner?
      11-22-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep

ive tried many and to be honest zaino's leather cleaner and there conditioner gives you one of the best natural leather smells. There cleaner also works very well, but that can be substituted for any working leather cleaner. Ive never really found a huge difference in the cleaners, personally for leather its all about smell and conditioning. Ive got a Poorboys unrealeased sample of there leather cleaner and conditioner combination and will be switching to that when it is released. Chris
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 11:11 AM   #5
IllinoisE90
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Thanks, Chris. Appreciate the help.
      11-22-2005, 11:26 AM   #6
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
i think your using way too much Z2 per appilcation. right now i have 7 coats on mine and i have about 1/3 of the bottle left of Z2. i posted some pics below and it shows how light you put Zaino on. Once you apply it it looks a bit hazy, almost like its not there at all. Once it dries you can see a drfinate haze but its not very dark at all. if your using about 1/4 of the bottle every application then it sounds like your putting too mcuh on and wasting the $$. i normally fill those little bottles about half way and that is plenty to do the entire car and the wheels. Also what tyle of applicator are you using? if you use a huge applicator it takes a lot to get the pad covered with zaino. Call me crazy but i cut a microfiber cloth to a piece thats 2x3 inches and do the entire car like that. once the little cloth is all wet and covered in zaino it works flawless. lets see some pics of your car as well!!!

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep

for reference i think we are all using the 2oz bottles from the zfx kit as our reference. 1/4 of the bottle would be 1/2 oz. Chris
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 02:02 PM   #8
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the great responses.

I'm using those white cotton pads that are included with the basic kit as an applicator. My garage is not at all well lit (I'm using some halogen shop lights) so it's hard for me to see the stuff as I'm applying it - I'd say that's why I'm applying it a bit thicker than normal.

Any thoughts on how many coats to put on right now given that snow is right around the corner? More to protect, or less since the car is going to be exposed to snow and salt for three months regardless of how many coats I put on?

I'm really hoping that Thanksgiving day will be a pretty day for me to take some photos inside and out. I only have my photos of when I took delivery of the car, which I've previously posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 12:31 PM   #9
upandown
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 325 Pre/Spt

So you're saying zfx is not neccessary...

if, after applying z-2, it sits overnight?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 12:13 PM   #10
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upandown
if, after applying z-2, it sits overnight?
I did mix in the ZFX which makes it dry quicker. On one or two of the applications, I did let it dry overnight...more because I was too tired and wanted to go to bed.

BTW, the Zaino leather conditioner came yesterday and I did an application to the interior. Everyone is correct in their description of the smell....very authentic leather smell.
Appreciate 0