E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Compass on Mirror E 93 ..2007

08-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
darrenbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i Monaco Blue Convertible

Compass on Mirror E 93 ..2007

Hey .. has anyone had problems with the compass on the mirror saying the WRONG direction. I will be going West and it says SE on the mirror.

It does this for a while and after a couple turns, it will straighten itself out again. I had the dealership look at it a month ago and they had the technician push a button on the bottom side of the rear view mirror and then had him drive it in a circle 10 times and it worked fine.

But, I noticed it does this every once in a while still. Doesn't show the correct direction I am going .. ???

Anyone know or hear about this before?

Loaded Options ..

Darren
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
have it replaced !! should only need the claibration thing once..

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Interesting. Most electronic compasses on handheld devices only need recalibration when you change batteries or when you use the unit near a powerful magnetic field. You recalibrate by putting it in calibration mode, then turning it in a circle.

The compass in the car mirror is a magnetic compass. I wonder if it works on the same principles? I mean - I wonder if your mirror power is spotty or something, or if you live or drive near some unusually powerful magnetic field?

Also - the car has an electronic compass built into the nav, which is how it can tell which way you are pointed even when not seeing satellites. I wonder if that is the same one as the mirror uses. Probably not, since electronic compasses are cheap and you can get the nav without the compass mirror and vice versa. But if it is, you'd see strange things on your nav (map pointed the wrong direction) when driving around an underground parking garage, for example.

I don't know if any of that helps, but you got me thinking. I bet it's something with power going to your mirror.
      08-23-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
darrenbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey .. Guys ..

Thanks for your words of help .. I will take your advice and head to the dealer .. AGAIN .. Thanks so much ..

Loaded Options ..

Darren
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

in the manual there was a config setting for the rearview compass...

depending on your location in the world it will need to be adjusted. its possible this wasnt set right from the factory or dealership...

read the manual it may save you a trip

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

I've had this problem intermittently, too. It eventually corrects itself and the nav is always correct. I'd be afraid the dealer would just f something else up. Not worth the time.
      08-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
darrenbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkeng View Post
I've had this problem intermittently, too. It eventually corrects itself and the nav is always correct. I'd be afraid the dealer would just f something else up. Not worth the time.
Man, you and I think VERY much alike. I do NOT like having the car at the dealership. I've seen the YOUNG 18 to 20 year olds they have working on the cars to "hand wash" them. NO WAY in hell do I trust that. I have had them put on a note that they are to NEVER wash my car. I appreciate the offer, but I DO IT myself by hand.

But, I just don't like the dealership ever touching the car .. the least amount possible, and for maintenance is bad enough.

Thanks .. I like how you think .. but, at the same time, I realize they will at some point do things and HOPEFULLY they do them correctly ..

Thanks for ALL responses .. I GREATLY appreciate it ..

Loaded Options ..

Darren
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
drwtsn32
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi, 2016 MB GLA250

I took delivery of my car a few days ago, and noticed that the compass was off a bit. The manual tells you how to set the correct zone for your compass and also do a calibration. I checked this morning and my zone was way off. I also did the calibration and it seems to be working fine now.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #9
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

Mine hasn't done this, but it has done the disco light demo twice.
Appreciate 0