E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Engine - Is this normal.

08-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 320d MSport

Engine - Is this normal.

320d M-Sport, 367 miles on clock.

in the morning between 1500 rpm and 2750(approx) rpm the engine/gearbox seems to slip quite a lot for the first 10 mins and then settles down.

Is this normal? is it part of the running in process? Is it dodgy fuel? Is it a problem?

Can anyone let me know their thoughts and/or experiences?

I will post my thoughts on my first weeks with this car shortly

thanks in advance

Bob
      08-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
hi Bobby, you need to explain a little more if, for anyone to diagnose anything?

what sort of slip? yes the engine and box are cold for 10-15 mins but i dont understand by slip? you shouldnt notice any diff really on a new car cold/hot running?!

clutch slip?

Carlos
      08-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
hi Bobby, you need to explain a little more if, for anyone to diagnose anything?

what sort of slip? yes the engine and box are cold for 10-15 mins but i dont understand by slip? you shouldnt notice any diff really on a new car cold/hot running?!

clutch slip?

Carlos
It is hard to put into words I suppose it is as if the engine suddenly forgets to inject the fuel through so you can feel the car lunge/slip as if struggling to keep momentum for about 1/2 second does this regularly. It reminds me of old auto's when the gearbox couldn't decide which gear it was in. (current car is not an auto.)
      08-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mushroom View Post
It is hard to put into words I suppose it is as if the engine suddenly forgets to inject the fuel through so you can feel the car lunge/slip as if struggling to keep momentum for about 1/2 second does this regularly. It reminds me of old auto's when the gearbox couldn't decide which gear it was in. (current car is not an auto.)
right, so not so much a slip but more of a hesitation?

this does not sound right, does it only happen it lower gears at lower speedS?
      08-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

I've not noticed it on mine but do the e9x's have a CDV like he Z4 had? This used to give similar symptoms when first starting from cold.

Might be worth talking to the stealer though!
      08-24-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJT View Post
do the e9x's have a CDV like he Z4 had?
e9x's do have a CDV and can be removed or modded. This is something that I will do when I take delivery of my e92 soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
e9x's do have a CDV and can be removed or modded. This is something that I will do when I take delivery of my e92 soon.
I'm pretty sure that Bob's car is a manual (see 3rd post in thread).

All the CDV does is to smooth the last bit of clutch travel as the plates meet. As a consequence you lose clutch 'feel', but I don't think that sounds like the problem.

Bob .. is this hesitation only there as you change gear (i.e. part of the shifting process) or is it happening when you are driving in any particular gear?

It sounds to me as if something is wrong either with the engine management or the engine itself.

It could be bad fuel, so I'd try filling up with a premium brand then go for a nice long drive.

If it's still there then off to the dealers.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #8
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I really am not good at describing am I!!

The car is manual.

What does CDV stand for?

Thanks for you considerations so far.

It is not just when I change gear, it is in mostly 3/4 gear (though this may be more because of my daily commute) As I say it seems to dissappear after approx 10 mins.

The last fuel stop was with BP diesel not supermarket and I would guess this was the second time the car has been penetrated with a funnel.

I am surprised at the reaction of the car whilst it wakes up and my assumption was fuel line or engine management fault, especially as others do not seem to have been affected

I am not too concerned as this is a BMW loaner and not mine - mine arrives in 12 days time and hopefully will not have the same characteristic. I am intersted for opinions and I will mention to the $tealer when I exchange keys so if someone buys it will hopefully have been sorted.
      08-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mushroom View Post
I really am not good at describing am I!!

The car is manual.

What does CDV stand for?

Thanks for you considerations so far.

It is not just when I change gear, it is in mostly 3/4 gear (though this may be more because of my daily commute) As I say it seems to dissappear after approx 10 mins.

The last fuel stop was with BP diesel not supermarket and I would guess this was the second time the car has been penetrated with a funnel.

I am surprised at the reaction of the car whilst it wakes up and my assumption was fuel line or engine management fault, especially as others do not seem to have been affected

I am not too concerned as this is a BMW loaner and not mine - mine arrives in 12 days time and hopefully will not have the same characteristic. I am intersted for opinions and I will mention to the $tealer when I exchange keys so if someone buys it will hopefully have been sorted.
CDV = Clutch Delay Valve

http://www.bmw325i.net/rev_cdv_removal.shtml
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
Chris33
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

IT does not sound right? I have a 320d and it has never had this issue.

I just start it in the morning and take my time until it warms up. It runs like a dream from the first turn of the key.
Le Mans blue/ black leather with Aluminum trim/ privacy glass/ xenon's/ black line rear lights/ OEM 18inch M Sport wheel upgrade/ PDC/ blue tooth/ Hi-Fi speaker system/ heated front seats/ storage pack/ auto lights+wipers/ green sun strip/ OEM boot spoiler/
external mirror package.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #11
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJT View Post
I've not noticed it on mine but do the e9x's have a CDV like he Z4 had? This used to give similar symptoms when first starting from cold.

Might be worth talking to the stealer though!
He'd probably get better results if he talked to the dealer.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
He'd probably get better results if he talked to the dealer.
Floyd, due to the fact that UK dealers act like they are 'stealing' customers' time & money on an ongoing basis, from a customer perspective, I think it's only fair to refer to them as 'stealers'- I certainly do.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #13
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
Floyd, due to the fact that UK dealers act like they are 'stealing' customers' time & money on an ongoing basis, from a customer perspective, I think it's only fair to refer to them as 'stealers'- I certainly do.

Viv
If you don't like a deal, walk away. No one is going to hold you hostage to force you to buy from them. In the end, a deal can only go forward if both parties involved agree on a price. Therefore, I don't think calling them "stealerships" is fair. To me, it sounds childish.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
If you don't like a deal, walk away. No one is going to hold you hostage to force you to buy from them. In the end, a deal can only go forward if both parties involved agree on a price. Therefore, I don't think calling them "stealerships" is fair. To me, it sounds childish.
Floyd, in my opinion, they are all equally as 'bad' as each other.

UK customers also do not make complaints & make legal threats about the service they receive, like our US counterparts do.

As such, 'dealers' are able to act relatively 'poorly' over here, without having to generally worry about litigation against them.

However, this is just my own personal opinion & that is why I bought my car from Germany!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 02:14 AM   #15
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ok, I have a possible answer! This did not come from a $tealer/dealer (in my part of the world 3 are $tealers, 1 deserves to sell second hand Ford Ka's and 1 is a dealer - so in balance = $tealers)

Apparantly in the 4 cylinder models a characteristic/fault that can manifest is a phenomenon called clutch slip. This could be a possible answer.

I was sat on the drive with the engine running from cold and I had quite a few jerks from the engine with the diesel being pulled through and I wonder if this could be part of the issue.

i