E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Heat Wave

08-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Nandhara
Rep
Drives: 318i

Heat Wave

Hi, I've had my 318i for 3 Months from new and have already coverd 5000 miles. IMO alot better handling and ride than my 1.9tdi A4.

I've just noticed that when I cover long distance (i.e. over 65miles) and when i open the door to get out I'm hit by a heat wave Open any door and you can feel the heat. I've noticed that this heat is coming from underneath the car. (It's just that when you open a door your creating a draft and the heat travels upwards). Also noticed that the tail pipe it making a ticking noise after along journy. (Hot meatal cooling down)

Is there a problem with my car, also it dosen't have a temp gauge so I dont know how hot the engine is getting.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
nowt wrong mate, cars get hot!!!
      08-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandhara View Post
Hi, I've had my 318i for 3 Months from new and have already coverd 5000 miles. IMO alot better handling and ride than my 1.9tdi A4.

I've just noticed that when I cover long distance (i.e. over 65miles) and when i open the door to get out I'm hit by a heat wave Open any door and you can feel the heat. I've noticed that this heat is coming from underneath the car. (It's just that when you open a door your creating a draft and the heat travels upwards). Also noticed that the tail pipe it making a ticking noise after along journy. (Hot meatal cooling down)

Is there a problem with my car, also it dosen't have a temp gauge so I dont know how hot the engine is getting.
I don't think you have a problem. All my BMW's have ticked a little on cooldown.

My 330i puts out incredible amounts of heat which really hits you when you open the door.

I have read that the the mag alloy engines run at extremely variable temperatures and that this is the main reason why BMW took out the temp guage on the e90 and e60.

This makes a lot of sense. If I open the door and rev the engine a huge wave of heat drifts up from below. I've also had a few situations where I have been talking to someone standing by the car with the window down and they have complained that the heat from my idling engine is toasting their legs.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
I don't think you have a problem. All my BMW's have ticked a little on cooldown.

My 330i puts out incredible amounts of heat which really hits you when you open the door.

I have read that the the mag alloy engines run at extremely variable temperatures and that this is the main reason why BMW took out the temp guage on the e90 and e60.

This makes a lot of sense. If I open the door and rev the engine a huge wave of heat drifts up from below. I've also had a few situations where I have been talking to someone standing by the car with the window down and they have complained that the heat from my idling engine is toasting their legs.
NFS you really need to stop sleeping with prostitutes
      08-24-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
NFS you really need to stop sleeping with prostitutes
Are prostitutes the only people that you talk to through the window of the fandango car?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Are prostitutes the only people that you talk to through the window of the fandango car?
cant take a joke can ya

no personally i have never even spoke to one let alone slept with one?!
      08-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
cant take a joke can ya

no personally i have never even spoke to one let alone slept with one?!
I simply responded with a witty rejoinder
Appreciate 0