E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Wrapping My E92 Interior Trim

02-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
roccob1123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe

Wrapping My E92 Interior Trim

So about to go into the process of wrapping my interior trim. Im getting sick of looking at the fake wood look.

Was thinking about going with this

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotchprint.../dp/B0058DIDTY

I do not want the really glossy carbon fiber look. I am looking for more of the dull look. For any of you who have done this how hard/time consuming is it? Im pretty handy and was thinking about just doing it one step at a time. If anyone can point me in the direction of a good DIY on how to get the trim off that would be great. Also I have a grey interior was either gonna do the carbon fiber black or the brushed aluminum, which will look btr?

Last edited by roccob1123; 02-17-2013 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
OK i just went through the process of taking out my interior trim just by going e90post instructions.

here is the best tips i can give you.

door trims are easiest, Front door pieces start from the inner to outer(point closer to the engine) and go along. it hooks in from the end. should be fairly easy. The rears, you start from the rear.

then you can start with the driver side small trim you can do it a couple ways but what i did is start from the edge closer to the cluster, i used a flat head, but please buy nylon pry bars(trim removal tools) as it will protect your trim and help wedge better. Pull the trim from the side; try to get your screwdriver or tool to lift the trim and pull. My fingers really hurt after that. do the same on the other side, wedge it on the side and try to lift. Then pull off.

main dash trim is fairly easy. start from the right side and do the same. wedge in on the side and try to pull trim off. the trim is pretty solid so once you get it off, it will break loose a couple other connection point. i fortunately was able to wiggle the left side out, but if its stuck do the same procedure. there are 3 connections on the trim the start button and 2 connection on the main vent (cold-hot control/door lock/dtc/hazard) the start button connection release is pretty straight on once you see it, the two other vents are a bit tough. i used a flat head to take them out. there is not much slack so its a bit tough. You should get it in a couple minutes. you can now pull out the trim.

the center console trim is easy too. You should place your gear stick in neutral and pull off your gear lever. (push button and pull straight up) you should be able to pull your boot leather off. this took me a couple minutes but eventually the top left clip broke loose and the rest was easy. there are two connection on the center console connected to the black plastic part. Youll need to disconnect this. youll also need to remove the ashtray cover. (dig in between wood and plastic they dont come out together) which in my opinion was the hardest and something you should reconsider. its very hard to replace the ashtray cover once poppped off.

youll need to disconnect the vents from the trim pieces once removed to allow you to smoothen vinyl around the corners.

wrapping it is fairly easy, though i had a hard time. my edges are not perfect. you can use a hair drier on it slightly to make it more pliable so you can stretch it more.let me know if u have any more questions

i did my car in matte grey

Last edited by idrift4wd; 02-17-2013 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
roccob1123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the tips man, much appreciated! Will def be doing this in the coming days. Looks like your car came out good. Did you use the vinyl made by 3m or a different company?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccob1123 View Post
Thanks for the tips man, much appreciated! Will def be doing this in the coming days. Looks like your car came out good. Did you use the vinyl made by 3m or a different company?
it was a different company, not exactly sure who, but the vinyl your interested is very good and many users on here use it!

for my vinyl is tough, but you sure get use to it. i have many bad parts when you look up close.

Last edited by idrift4wd; 02-17-2013 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
roccob1123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is what I decided to go with

http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-Sco...1080-cf201.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Most guys go with 3M Scotchprint 1080p.

I would have ordered a bunch of samples and decided then. I personally didn't like the anthracite CF. I went with a gloss anthracite though (pics in my sig). But look around, hundreds of guys have wrapped their interiors, most went with regular black CF.
      02-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
OK i just went through the process of taking out my interior trim just by going e90post instructions.

here is the best tips i can give you.

door trims are easiest, Front door pieces start from the inner to outer(point closer to the engine) and go along. it hooks in from the end. should be fairly easy. The rears, you start from the rear.

then you can start with the driver side small trim you can do it a couple ways but what i did is start from the edge closer to the cluster, i used a flat head, but please buy nylon pry bars(trim removal tools) as it will protect your trim and help wedge better. Pull the trim from the side; try to get your screwdriver or tool to lift the trim and pull. My fingers really hurt after that. do the same on the other side, wedge it on the side and try to lift. Then pull off.

main dash trim is fairly easy. start from the right side and do the same. wedge in on the side and try to pull trim off. the trim is pretty solid so once you get it off, it will break loose a couple other connection point. i fortunately was able to wiggle the left side out, but if its stuck do the same procedure. there are 3 connections on the trim the start button and 2 connection on the main vent (cold-hot control/door lock/dtc/hazard) the start button connection release is pretty straight on once you see it, the two other vents are a bit tough. i used a flat head to take them out. there is not much slack so its a bit tough. You should get it in a couple minutes. you can now pull out the trim.

the center console trim is easy too. You should place your gear stick in neutral and pull off your gear lever. (push button and pull straight up) you should be able to pull your boot leather off. this took me a couple minutes but eventually the top left clip broke loose and the rest was easy. there are two connection on the center console connected to the black plastic part. Youll need to disconnect this. youll also need to remove the ashtray cover. (dig in between wood and plastic they dont come out together) which in my opinion was the hardest and something you should reconsider. its very hard to replace the ashtray cover once poppped off.

youll need to disconnect the vents from the trim pieces once removed to allow you to smoothen vinyl around the corners.

wrapping it is fairly easy, though i had a hard time. my edges are not perfect. you can use a hair drier on it slightly to make it more pliable so you can stretch it more.let me know if u have any more questions

i did my car in matte grey

That actually looks really good.
      02-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

looks clean!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
roccob1123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Most guys go with 3M Scotchprint 1080p.

I would have ordered a bunch of samples and decided then. I personally didn't like the anthracite CF. I went with a gloss anthracite though (pics in my sig). But look around, hundreds of guys have wrapped their interiors, most went with regular black CF.
Ya well my interior is grey so I figured that I would get that color to match. I thought the black on grey would be too much. We will see!
Appreciate 0