F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Will 335i suspension fit on a 320i?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
cheukmc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Will 335i suspension fit on a 320i?

Hi,

My friend bought a F30 320i and we are wondering if the stock 335i sport line suspension will fit on his 320i basic? Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

It will but the spring rates will be all wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

The stock sportline should fit with no issues. As for the spring rate, it should be different but thats what you want by going from the stock basic to the sportline. Stiffer spring rate. The odd thing here in the US, if you order HRs springs, exactly the same part numbers between the 335i and the 328i, so exactly the same spring rate, even though the 335i has a heavier engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkancel
The stock sportline should fit with no issues. As for the spring rate, it should be different but thats what you want by going from the stock basic to the sportline. Stiffer spring rate. The odd thing here in the US, if you order HRs springs, exactly the same part numbers between the 335i and the 328i, so exactly the same spring rate, even though the 335i has a heavier engine.
The US gets 335i springs from H&R. In Europe they have separate springs for the 328. US 328's running H&Rs sit pretty high in the front.

To answer the OP, yes the springs will fit but your car will sit pretty high in the front.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkancel View Post
Like for like the spring rates are different for 328i & 335i, so if u just fit the springs from 335i into a 320i it may make things worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Springs

The spring rate wont be different with HRs because its the exact same part number but not sure on OE. I installed 335i Sport Springs on my 328i and while it lowered it very slightly, there is nearly no difference in ride.

Clarence, what do you mean that it might make it worse? How......?

Not arguing with you but if he wants a stiffer suspension and potential lowering, changing to a stiffer/different spring rate would be the goal. For example: If you order H&R Sport Springs as I mentioned they will have a slightly different spring rate than the OE, which is the intent of most people buying them to stiffen and lower the car. if you go with Super Sports then they are lowered even more and the spring rate gets even stiffer, harsher ride.

That why I ask what you mean by worse....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Like for like the spring rates are different for 328i & 335i, so if u just fit the springs from 335i into a 320i it may make things worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

that's a waste of $$.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Shivaswrath....are you referring to the 335i M-Sport Springs on my base 328i. If so, I agree but I didnt want the drop of the H&Rs because my wife drives the car and eventually would tear up the front end when she pulls up to curbs. I wanted Eibach but no such luck with any of those yet and truthfully, my intent was less about drop and more about stiffening. So after I bought the springs from a fellow member, very inexpensively, then the intent was too look for Koni, KYB or Bilsteins. Unfortunately I should have done all of this at the same time because I discovered, no one has shocks or struts out yet. Only coilovers and I dont want to spend that kind of money. Next option is to buy someone's M-Sport struts/shocks or wait it out for Koni or Bilstein.

So new member: cheukmc, rethink the
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
cheukmc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkancel View Post
The spring rate wont be different with HRs because its the exact same part number but not sure on OE. I installed 335i Sport Springs on my 328i and while it lowered it very slightly, there is nearly no difference in ride.

Clarence, what do you mean that it might make it worse? How......?

Not arguing with you but if he wants a stiffer suspension and potential lowering, changing to a stiffer/different spring rate would be the goal. For example: If you order H&R Sport Springs as I mentioned they will have a slightly different spring rate than the OE, which is the intent of most people buying them to stiffen and lower the car. if you go with Super Sports then they are lowered even more and the spring rate gets even stiffer, harsher ride.

That why I ask what you mean by worse....
The OP was asking abt fitting OE sports suspension from a 335i onto a 320i, it has nothing to do with H&R springs cos the OP is talking abt a EU-spec car. If u check the ETK a 320i w/sport suspension have different springs compared to a 335i with the same equipment.
It will affect handling balance cos the front springs are too stiff compared to the rear (nearly all the weight difference is at the front). For the OP it would be better if he can source the suspension from a 328i cos then the difference won't be that big.
Appreciate 0