F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Help With Alignment Specs
GetBMWParts

02-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
artieg30
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06

Help With Alignment Specs

Hey guys,

this is a bit of a long winded explanation but sometime back in Oct of last year my car went through a milled section of road at a higher than average speed. The result of that was a bulged sidewall on the tire of my front passenger side, bent rim, and also a bent steering knuckle that was later diagnosed.

The first time i was at the shop they replaced the tire and fixed the wheel for me, the second time in the shop (after i had noticed the car was pulling) they had diagnosed the problem being with my front passenger steering knuckle as they weren't able to get the car back into alignment specs. After replacing the knuckle the alignment was successfully completed.

Fast forward to last week, i still wasn't satisifed with how the car was handling since getting it back in dec(can't really explain it into words but i could feel something was off) so i brought the car to the shop again to have their techs figure it out. They inform me that the rear wheels were mis-aligned somehow and so they re-did the alignment free of charge.

I've posted pics of the alignment specs from December 2012 (when i got the steering knuckle replaced) and the specs from February 2013 (last time i took the car in) and what confuses me is the fact that the alignment numbers are "off". Shouldn't the "After Measurements" Column specs match up with those from December? I notice almost every row is slightly off in respect to the previous angles, does this seem right? Can any alignment/suspension experts weigh in on this?

I'm ultimately just paranoid on the car's driving dynamics since this incident and having the alignment re-done after only two months makes me think that there may be further suspension damage... I've been super careful in regards with bumps and other road irregularities so there's no other explanation i can give as to why it went out of alignment so quick. what are your guys thoughts?

Last edited by artieg30; 02-23-2013 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
PeterM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

The FEB one looks better, they must have had the wrong specs in for the DEC align as the rear camber is funny and not sure why they couldn't just leave it at -1.8 instead adjust it to wrong specs.
      02-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

your toe was REALLY off, no wonder it felt funny...it looks within spec now, but I would verify if the control arms/steering knuckles on both sides were replaced.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
artieg30
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
your toe was REALLY off, no wonder it felt funny...it looks within spec now, but I would verify if the control arms/steering knuckles on both sides were replaced.
they only replaced the steering knuckle on the front passenger side as that's where most of the damage seem to be coming from. As far as control arms those weren't touched, the tie rods seems to be fine - i checked them when i had my car on a jack a few months back
Appreciate 0