E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > did i rip the dealer off???

03-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

did i rip the dealer off???

So, my car started up for about 5 seconds after getting gas. Then she started chugging and the rpm's went crazy. Then she died. Would only turn over, no ignition. Only things that came up were bulb out icon and traction control not operative.

So, I got her towed to the dealer. Still under cpo. 2007 with 100,000km.

It was saturday eve, and had to leave town monday morning for work. Had her dumped off in the dealer lot hoping for the best. I did have a BMS powerbox installed, but had no time to remove or deal with it.

Monday rolls around and I get a call. they won't diagnose until unit is removed. 4 hours labour at 140/hr. I am out of town. No choice.

I get a call saying the unit is removed, and that the car started right up. I have had this box installed for 2 years and some 35,000km. I used heat shrink and made sure all the connections were good during install. I am an aircraft mechanic.

I ask if this could be related to the recall regarding the battery connectors. He says no. I ask if they will perform recall. He says he will look into it.

I had just detailed the engine bay the day before, and figured it must have been moisture related. Didn't have time to deal with it.

Anyways, I figure wtf, pay it and move on. Guy goes on to tell me eccentric shaft seal is leaking oil, and my belt tensioner is failing. I ask if these are warranty items and he goes "what warranty?"

So he says he will get back to me. He calls me back to say that yes, it is warranty and he will need approval to do work and order parts. I say thank you. He calls two days later to tell me car is ready, and can p/u any time.

I ask about recall. He says he will call me back. Next day he calls and says "Yes, the recall will be performed."

I say "Thank you."

So I get back into town on a Saturday, 2 weeks later, and call up the dealer Sunday morning to see if I can pick up on Sunday. I am told by receptionist that service is closed, but if they can dig up paperwork, I can come and get it. They will call me back.

So some guy calls me and explains how they have all my paperwork, all work is completed and my car is ready for pickup. I say "Great!"

He then goes on to tell me Monday morning would work for pick up. I explain the whole point of this was to pick up Sunday. He tells me point blank that he does not know where my car is parked in the lot and Monday would be better.

I am now getting a little testy, and tell him the whole point of a Sunday pick up is to avoid doing it on Monday. Monday being a weekday.

He tells me he will call back.

45 minutes later, he calls and says he found my car and it's ready.

I arrive at dealer, and talk to the receptionist. She had my paperwork there ready to go. I am there Amex in hand ready to pay. She says "oh no this is covered by warranty."

I say there are items I need to pay for. She says "no, your warranty will cover it."

I say thank you, sign some paper, take my key and walk out. The right front fender has a bunch of grease and light scratches all along the top, as if some coveralls with zippers/buttons were leaning there. Right there and reaching towards ecu box. hmmm.

I walk back in, and let the reception know about my findings. She calls some customer rep out and he walks out and looks. He is quite apologetic, and takes my keys, tells me to go in, have a coffee, come back in 10 and drives it around back.

10 minutes later he pulls in and the fender looks great. No problem. He then goes on to tell me they weren't scratches, and that they just buffed out.

Ummm, right.

So I jump in my car and drive off.

When I get home, I go through the invoice. The only work performed under this work order was the recall. I am going to assume the other work, because it was carried out and completed seperately, had seperate work orders.

Should I feel guilty? Because I do not. I am sure I will be getting a call soon regarding this oversight. Really, I have no issue paying for work that I authorized. They were just so disorganized and uncaring.

Thanks for listening to my hot wind.

Oh, and they cut off half the connectors of the BMS Powerbox. F#ck.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

No, you did not rip the dealer off. The dealer is shitty and unorganized. Who knows what work was actually performed on your car.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
ja.
Ja
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90

Wow man. Do u mind if i ask wat dealership u went?
Sux they cut all the wires on ur pbx! Hope they dont ever ask u to pay for the labour they did haha!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Dealers are open on a Sunday?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:12 AM   #5
Spensaur
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

Garage List
I thought it was required to write everything they performed on the invoice/receipt?
2007 E93 328i | Space Gray Coral Red | M-Tech Front Bumper w/ Carbon Fiber Splitters | BMW Performance Rear Bumper | BMW Performance Exhaust w/ Secondary Cat Delete | Injen Intake | HID Angel Eyes | M3 Trunk Lip Spoiler

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
Ark10bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i xdrive

I say don't worry. Free work And how hard is it to fi the wires on the box? Don't worry the guy still got paid an BMW has enough money to spread around.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
No, you did not rip the dealer off. The dealer is shitty and unorganized. Who knows what work was actually performed on your car.
I had a warranty quote emailed to me which had the tensioner and ecc. seal on it. The belt is new, so I know they performed that. The engine cover appears to have been removed(judging by the wiped areas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Dealers are open on a Sunday?
This dealer is open Sunday... just not parts and service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spensaur View Post
I thought it was required to write everything they performed on the invoice/receipt?
The way they did the repairs in steps... I am guessing they finished the work and then closed the work order. Then the S.A. called me and more work was performed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanianbimmer View Post
I say don't worry. Free work And how hard is it to fi the wires on the box? Don't worry the guy still got paid an BMW has enough money to spread around.
Sure, it is easy to put new terminals on. But they(tried to) charge me almost 800$ incl. tax to remove the thing. The least they can do is not f/ck it up.

Last edited by avocet; 03-12-2013 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #8
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post

Oh, and they cut off half the connectors of the BMS Powerbox. F#ck.

After I read this, I would call it even!

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Greatdane84
Leeeroy Jankins
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [10.00]
The best line was "what warranty?" By the service rep

"If you're not 1st, you're last" -Ricky Bobby
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
bbbuzzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 335is convertible (manual)

If you feel even a bit guilty for perhaps receiving some extra work for free at the dealer, just think about all the other people who have been hosed by the dealers over the years for work they did not need. Perhaps a little win for the rest of us? Don't worry about it.
'06 330i MT, sport,premium (retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Aventador97
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mustang Cobra and Mustang V6

I don't think you ripped them off at all. Like you said they were disorganized and that is the price they pay.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Ther once were trying to charge my mother 150.00 bucks for changing out a bulb. The headlight had to come out partially. I told her not to and ill come over and do it. I did it on 10 minutes flat cost me 3.00 lol.
Appreciate 0