F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Depression in roof panel
Studio RSR

03-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

Depression in roof panel

This morning I stopped for breakfast and as I walked back to my car, the sun hit the roof just right and I noticed an aberration in the roof panel. I sort of hunched down to get different angles and there was a definite depression in the panel, but not a dent or ding. I ran my hand across the panel and it was glass-smooth and I couldn't detect any change in the surface. It's left of center on the rear passenger side. My car is garaged at home and at work and I know I've personally never dropped or set anything on it...with the exception of an occasional cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee as I'm going in to work and my wife has never driven my car without me being there. Has anyone ever had any sheetmetal irregularities? I know if I take it to the dealer, they won't do anything for me besides give me a card to Penske Autobody.

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

Yesterday after work when I got home I took a closer look. While I was I noticed a similar depression in the sheetmetal on the exact same place on the other side. I figure that has to be more than just a coincidence. I don't know the inner workings of the roof panel, but am wondering if it somehow related to the moonroof? Early on when I first got the car, there was a wicked rattle in one of the door panels. They determined that a bolt/screw/nut from the moonroof had worked it's way down into the innards of the chassis. They had to pretty much dismantle most of my interior to get to an access panel to remove it. They said that most likely it had happened in production and most likely the factory worker had thought the bolt had just fell on the floor and installed another one. Now I'm wondering if maybe, whatever came loose was indeed not replaced and is now not supporting something allowing for the weight of the sunroof to pull on my roof causing the dimples.

This is just a crazy theory, but at least now that I see there are two of them equidistant apart from one another, I'm going to bring it in to the dealer. I've got a rattle in the moonroof anyway. I'll try to get pictures but sometimes the angles are hard to capture photographically.

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0