E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Active Steering: is it very light?

05-24-2005, 05:34 PM   #1
RGB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i Auto.Active Steering

Active Steering: is it very light?

I´m soon placing my order for a 325i Touring automatic. Due to physical problems I need a steering requiring little effort and I find the standard E90 steering quite heavy, much more than that of the Audis, Volvo S40-V50 or Mercedes Benz C -parametric option-. So I will order my 325i with the Active Steering as it seems that, apart from its variable gearing, it is lighter than the standard one. But... how much lighter? The dealerships here have no one car with Active Steering to try. Is it really lighter when parking than the standard one?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

Anyone ever drive this on the E90 or another BMW (5 series maybe) that can help answer this? My guess is that it's definitely lighter at very low speeds, especially parking.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

RGB I found a thread for you. It seems taht active steering will definitely help turn the wheel at low speeds like when parking. I think at highway speeds you won't feel the difference much. Read this thread.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=steering
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 06:17 AM   #4
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Active steering views & information

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 06:24 AM   #5
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

BMW may not be the best choice for you, RGB. The steering ratios and boost on Buicks, Cadillacs, Lincolns and perhaps a few others may serve your needs better.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 08:26 AM   #6
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
vivekk,

thanks for filling up the entire new posts page with all the active steering threads you could find for everyone else's viewing pleasure. beyond my pop-up blocker, anti-spyware, anti-virus, anti-spam mail software, i can just deal with the entire page of active steering info. i don't get it.

if this was for rgb's benefit, he said he had physical problems, not mental ones. I'm fairly certain he can do a search on "active steering" on his own.
      01-01-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
I'm sure he could too ksfrogman.

The title of the thread & the views expressed within it concerened the use of active steering, which is exactly the reason for updating this and similar threads with the link.

The information is for individuals who may have looked at several threads in the past to find a collection of active steering information.

If there was an easier way of linking active steering information together, then I would have used it. Having a sticky would have been one way. Hope this makes it easier to understand why I did this.
I would rather have not had to do this.

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
BMW may not be the best choice for you, RGB. The steering ratios and boost on Buicks, Cadillacs, Lincolns and perhaps a few others may serve your needs better.
Active Steering on my 545 is effortless when parking and at low speeds. At high speeds it feels the same as Non-Active Steering BMWs. Active steering works well as described by BMW. If I lived in Spain like RGB I would never buy an American car. Given your concerns RGB I highly recommend Active Steering in a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 10:51 AM   #9
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
vivekk,

thanks for filling up the entire new posts page with all the active steering threads you could find for everyone else's viewing pleasure. beyond my pop-up blocker, anti-spyware, anti-virus, anti-spam mail software, i can just deal with the entire page of active steering info. i don't get it.

if this was for rgb's benefit, he said he had physical problems, not mental ones. I'm fairly certain he can do a search on "active steering" on his own.
Ksfrogman: Were you having your period when your wrote this? It was not necessary to insult the original poster. If a thread is not of interest to you kindly just skip it. No one is forcing you to read this thread or any thread here. Actually I am surprised that anyone would read all the threads.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
mhoutman
Private
Rep
Drives: E87 130i/E91 325i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding
Active Steering on my 545 is effortless when parking and at low speeds. At high speeds it feels the same as Non-Active Steering BMWs. Active steering works well as described by BMW.
I do not (completely) agree with you. I currently own a 545iT without AFS and with some recent experience driving a 535d with AFS I much more appreciated the car with AFS especially with high speeds when steering is lesser nervous than with my 545iT. this was a reason to order bot a 353iT and 130i with AFS. (I love it)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding
Ksfrogman: Were you having your period when your wrote this? It was not necessary to insult the original poster. If a thread is not of interest to you kindly just skip it. No one is forcing you to read this thread or any thread here. Actually I am surprised that anyone would read all the threads.
The intent was not to insult. It would have been preferable to simply link to all the other active steering threads of the past from within this one, but as the new posts are aged, they too will disappear.

Apologies for any offense taken.
      01-01-2006, 05:15 PM   #12
RGB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i Auto.Active Steering

VIVEKK, I have been reading all your late posts about Active Steering with maximum interest and pleasure. In my opinion they are very well writen and instructive.

I was delaying my order because was not sure about the AS lightness. I have had 2 or 3 answers saying it was wonderful but not lighter standstill than the standard E90 steering which was quite puzzling for me.

But your posts and others in that thread have now solved my doubts and made up my mind. I think AS will be very good for me: less movement and effort.

Many thanks for your interest, and PHARDING thanks to you too for your help.

I will apreciate very much more info and opinions about AS: sorry for you KSFROGMAN.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 02:13 AM   #13
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

I am quite confused too. I had never tried Active Steering before. Active Steering helps you acheive a higher degree of steering without turning the steering wheel as much comparatively. For example, you might have to turn one full turn on the steering wheel to go through a corner but with AS, you only need half a turn. (Just an assumption) Does it actually lightens the steering (the force that is required to turn the steering wheel)?

People who had tried both non-AS and AS models, please share you insights.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 03:32 AM   #14
mhoutman
Private
Rep
Drives: E87 130i/E91 325i Touring

AFS is a complete (new) innovation in how to handle a car. yes, steering is much lighter (lower forces) when driving slow. (see it is a super servotronic) and when driving on high speeds steering is much less tiresome because you do not have to make much correction. the best way to show the advantage of AFS do a slalom and you will see that you have to tutn the steering wheel only fractionally to round the corners.

but again, you love it or hate this option. It does need some excercise on slowe drives in the beginning as the "feeling" is different.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 06:08 AM   #15
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB
VIVEKK, I have been reading all your late posts about Active Steering with maximum interest and pleasure. In my opinion they are very well writen and instructive.
Glad the information has been of benefit to you RGB. I hope the active steering does make your life easier- it certainly makes driving a lot easier & more comfortable for me.

Information from the BMW UK 3-series saloon guide:

Take the Active Steering system, available as an option on the six-cylinder versions. It adjusts both steering effect and steering force as a function of road speed. At low speeds, two turns of the steering wheel are enough to go from lock to lock. At higher speeds, the steering wheel must be turned further to achieve the same effect. This brings a number of benefits: On the one hand, easier parking and enhanced agility on twisty roads; on the other, enhanced safety on motorways, due to improved directional stability.

Sorry for the unintentional 'period' flaming I seemed to have created for you, ksfrogman. Hope you can laugh about it as much as I did.

Appreciate 0