E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Request for advice

09-06-2007, 06:30 AM   #1
morgs
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 320d

Request for advice

Hello. I have a small problem and would appreciate some help and advice.

I took delivery of my e92 320d coupe 2 weeks ago and all was well. Been really pleased with the car.

Last week I noticed that the plate in the rear bumper that hides the towing fixing has fallen off, leaving an approx 2 inch square whole in the bumper. IT was definitely there on delivery.

I called the dealer who told me that as I had signed off the car as being OK on delivery they would not pay for a replacement (£44 !!!). I asked that if the bumper itself had fallen off, or a headlamp or a windscreen wiper would they replace that....the answer was yes. Therefore I can't understand why they won't give me a replacement piece of 2 inch plastic.

The dealer is now discussing it with BMW UK (apparently) to see if they will pay for it.

What would you guys do in this situation?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
speak to anther dealer..... then if no joy go straight to BMW uk as i have heard they sort these quickly

good luck with it bud and welcome to the site

I am the ''INFAMOUS'' CARLOS
      09-06-2007, 06:39 AM   #3
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Hello and welcome! Congratulations on the new car.

I would argue that you do not expect parts to "fall off" your brand new BMW and therefore expect immediate replacement of the missing part. I think it always helps to record the fault in writing both to your dealer and to BMW UK.

I do hope this event has not spoiled your new BMW experience and wish you luck with a speedy solution. The blasted stealer!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
manticore
Registered
Rep
Drives: Nissan 350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgs View Post
Last week I noticed that the plate in the rear bumper that hides the towing fixing has fallen off, leaving an approx 2 inch square whole in the bumper. IT was definitely there on delivery.
Thats quite frightening, I experienced exactly the same 'fault' within a few days of taking delivery of my E92 335i. Thankfully I've a decent dealer who agreed to replace it at their own expense (not a warranty claim apparently) as an act of good will. It did take a few weeks to obtain but I got it in the end.

I assumed this was a result of someone 'nudging' it before I took delivery, thus causing it to pop off, but maybe this is an actual fault with the tow covers!

As others have said you don't expect that as a fault on a new car so push for a free replacement (you might like to mention others have had the same problem!)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Persevere with the dealer and BMW, they should do this as a good will if not anything else.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
TheIrishMan
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d

My new 335i also had this 'fault' after a week of driving.

The dealer here in Augsburg replaced it at their cost and the good news is that the replacement part is still in place after now more than 6000 KM's.

You should definitely keep the pressure on your dealership and they should most certainly pay for it.......
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
stevew
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i M-Sport

I had similar problem only I happened to notice it wouldn't "click in" properly when I was cleaning the car & so I still had the towing eye cover.

I took it to my local dealer (not the dealer the car came from as it was further away), they ordered a colour matched replacement under warranty & I just popped in to for them to fit when it arrived.

The dealer kept the original cover to send back to BMW.

I'd go back in kick up a stink in the showroom
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I had similar problem only I happened to notice it wouldn't "click in" properly when I was cleaning the car & so I still had the towing eye cover.

I took it to my local dealer (not the dealer the car came from as it was further away), they ordered a colour matched replacement under warranty & I just popped in to for them to fit when it arrived.

The dealer kept the original cover to send back to BMW.

I'd go back in kick up a stink in the showroom

Welcome,tell the service manager that you do not agree with this and would like to meet him this Saturday morning whilst they have a Stealership full of people looking at the new M3 and discus VERY LOUDLY the way this dealer deals with their customers after they have "signed off" a new car
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
morgs
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks to all of you. I am currently awaiting the dealer to get back to me following a conversation with BMW UK.....will keep you updated.

Just got back from a business trip and have done 300 miles on half a tank (and I wasn't holding back I can assure you...). Brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:

Just got back from a business trip and have done 300 miles on half a tank (and I wasn't holding back I can assure you...). Brilliant.

I reckon on getting about 500 miles from a tank of diesel in my 335d, not bad if I say so myself!

That is mainly motorway driving, I was trying to keep the speed down but it is soooo easy to errrrrrrrrr be a little naughty! (nor Caros level of 'naughtiness' but you know what I mean.

I reckoned on easily getting 600+ from a tank in my previous 320d E91
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
morgs
United Kingdom
Rep

Unhappy

Quick update - have spoken to the dealer again today and they are now passing me around the sales department. Therefore I rang BMW UK who are now going to look into it for me.....

The dealer I purchased it from is a 3 hour drive away (I bought via a broker) - otherwise I would be straight round there to the showroom and wouldn't leave until I had the part in my hand.

Trying not to get too upset but it does spoil the whole experience. Every time I show someone the car they say "did you know a piece of the bumper is missing....".

My previous car was an Audi TT and I found my local Audi dealer to be very helpful - was very close to getting an A5....

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 11:01 AM   #12
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Quick update - have spoken to the dealer again today and they are now passing me around the sales department. Therefore I rang BMW UK who are now going to look into it for me.....

The dealer I purchased it from is a 3 hour drive away (I bought via a broker) - otherwise I would be straight round there to the showroom and wouldn't leave until I had the part in my hand.

Trying not to get too upset but it does spoil the whole experience. Every time I show someone the car they say "did you know a piece of the bumper is missing....".

My previous car was an Audi TT and I found my local Audi dealer to be very helpful - was very close to getting an A5....

I was in a similar position recently (well kinda still am!) - car purchased through a broker in Scotland (I am in Midlands) - local dealer not great to be honest - I have had many dealings with BMW UK of late trying to get a variety of problems sorted. This certainly gets the job done....the dealers have to do what they are told once BMW UK gets involved. If you want any email addresses PM me and I will get a couple across to you.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Or if it is bothering you that much it might be worth just paying the money and getting the bit and putting it down to experience... sometimes you have to 'pick your battles' as they say.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #14
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Print out the two posts in this thread to show to your dealer that other people have had the same problem and it was dealt with by their dealer. There might actually be more throughout this site, so its worth searching for. If you can demonstrate its a 'common' fault, then the dealer should be willing to replace it free of charge. Passing the info onto BMW Customer Services would be worthwhile also.

On my Z4 the middle brake light (in the boot lid) cracked at one side, and ended up coming loose from the car. When I took it into the dealer they looked at me as if to say I must have been something to cause it - they even asked if I had backed into something! When I showed them a print-out from a Z4 related forum that there was a common problem with the spring clips that hold the brake light in place, and loads of people had experienced this same problem, they were surprised but more helpful. I think they actually passed my print-out onto BMW Customer Services!
      09-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #15
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Morgs, looking at your location, is the local dealer you are using the one close to Southampton airport (Eastleigh)? If it is, don't bother IMHO, they are 'not great'. Though I'd never used them before (normally used Snows Portsmouth), I bought my last BMW from them (used 1 series) as they gave me a good deal and it was delivered with a huge array of faults, which saw me in a courtesy car on day 1!!!! They only sorted the car out after I left it with them for 4 weeks and got BMW UK involved.

Anyway, later on there were some more minor probs with my 1er and I took it to Snows, who, even though I didn't buy from them on this occasion, saw the bigger picture of keeping me happy (ie that I would go to them in future for service and purchases) and sorted everything no questions asked. Guess what, it worked and I got my latest car from them. Maybe give them a try - they have been great in my experience over the last 6 years. If it is the Eastleigh dealer you are using my experience is give them a wide berth. Regardless, the fact is your car is new and under warranty and BMW Customer Service is good enough to sort such stuff out (even if not technically covered), as they see the benefit of keeping people happy. However, some dealers are just not up to it IMHO, and the dealer/BMW UK interface is where it can fall down.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #16
morgs
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks again for all your advice.

The car was actually delivered from Coopers in Ipswich although my nearest dealer is the one near Southampton airport.

It will be interesting to see who sorts out the problem for me - BMW UK or the dealer. For me it is just a point of principal - I spent a lot of money on a car and a piece has fallen off. My wife had had her Mondeo for 4 years without anything falling off and that was half the price!!
      09-12-2007, 04:09 AM   #17
morgs
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE

Had a call back from BMW UK Customer Services yesterday (chap called Anthony). They had spoken to the dealer and told them to replace the part immediately!! BMW UK are aware of the problem and apparently the clip on cover in the front bumper has a tag attached in case it comes away - the rear one doesn't.

Today, the dealership (Coopers Ipswich) called me to say the part is currently being sprayed and should be with me by next Monday.

It is a good result but IMO the dealer should have just sorted it immediately without needing the pressure of BMW UK.

Again, thanks for your advice as it motivated me to ensure the dealer took responsibility!

Morgs
      09-12-2007, 04:56 AM   #18
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
I have had many dealings with BMW UK of late trying to get a variety of problems sorted. This certainly gets the job done....the dealers have to do what they are told once BMW UK gets involved.Paul
Agreed, though why should it have to come to this so often. I am obviously lucky with Snows, seems it's just a lottery which dealer you're closest to.....

morgs, glad you've got a result mate. Well done.
Appreciate 0